MTG thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So you were basically correct. Marvel wins the day overall and you can indeed slam 30 zombies into a deck and turn your cards sideways to win, even a pro tour.

You whiffed on the Mardu, but that is just because everyone was ready for them. So standard is now who get a the first aetherworks marvel on the board, yaaay.

I think this means you now 100% have to play black or red, to get access to removal and a sweeper effect for zombies and have good enough removal for ulamog.

Yea I'm very surprised mardu did as poorly as it did. It's match vs zombies is probably pretty bad, but it has to be favored vs most of the marvel piles. Maybe too many mardu decks had gone too far towards midrange and lost their early aggressive play vs marvel. I think for sure walking ballista needs to go from mardu, it just doesn't do anything for them anymore.

Marvel should continue being the deck to beat. Zombies is fine, but it's a pretty straight forward aggro plan with some recursion, and there's almost no flexibility to be found in the mainboard since your list so tribal (what little flex slots there are are basically only in the removal section too). Ultimately I don't see zombies sticking around, as if it does you'll just see marvel go to sultai colors for flaying tendrils/yahenis/demon of dark schemes.

I've mostly given up on standard for a while and am just slamming 4.5 color superfriends whenever I happen to play an event. So far very few people are prepared for like 14 maindeck walkers, so it's at least fun and can end in some hilarious nissa+chandra+tamiyo+arlin+ajani boards that are just pure cancer.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I sort of enjoyed the Blue devotion deck when Theros first came out. The problem was after 2 additional sets the deck was still like 68/75 identical at the end of the format.

It's kind of what happens when you have parasitic mechanics Take a look at all the amonkhet cards at the protour compared to kaladesh.

Sterling

El Presidente
It's kind of what happens when you have parasitic mechanics Take a look at all the amonkhet cards at the protour compared to kaladesh.
I agree in general, but with Devotion you just need permanents of a certain color. The fact that almost no blue permanents that were regarded as good enough over 2 sets and the deck still being good says something.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I played pretty heavily during the devotion decks, and im pretty sure wotc made comments about designing cards with lower devotion then normal in the following sets. Even black devo was mostly the same later as well, though not quite as bad as blue because their core was always smaller.
There were a handful of cards that would cost like 1U that would have been BETTER if they cost UU for the purposes of the devo decks. Wotc specifically avoided making any BB or UU cards for a few sets after, so you were stilll playing that 1/4 U/R weird with the hybrid mana until it was no longer legal.

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got 4th in GameDay this set, everyone was 3-1 though and we all agreed to chop the packs.

Still got that full art Glorybringer though!

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
Special invites to grow Magic, eh? So what exactly do you think is going to happen? A hearthstone player watches the magic stream, downloads the MTGO client... then what? Will it be the extra 42 people that give magic a try that'll finally get you to give us an online magic experience that isn't total aids?

Fuck you, for real.

xasiklas

Lord Nagafen Raider
I started playing magic with duels of the planeswalkers on pc on 2011, loved the game and after almost a year of practice I gathered the courage to go to an LGS in 2012. I didn't really like drafting, as I was doing multiple 0-4, but I was able to practice standard using cockatrice and really like the fact that the more I was playing a deck the better I was piloting it, I bought a standard deck and entered all FNM I could for the format with good results. My best result at this time was 2nd place at a prerelease out of 60 people.
In 2013 I changed positions at my work and started travelling around the world a lot, as a result I had to completely stop playing the game.

No longer travelling, I decided to come back after a 4 year break just before the amonkhet prerelease. Bought me a zombie deck 2 weeks before the pro tour win for 80 euros, and made 2nd place in both Gameday and Showdown.
The LGS available to me now plays mainly modern, and my modern Goblins deck did not quite cut it, so I got a merfolk deck that I'm waiting to test at the FNM next week.

On Saturday I'm going to GP Amsterdam, I'm not expecting anything but I hope it will be a fun experience.

I still suck at draft.

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
My LGS opened a larger store so going to go play for the first time in 2 years. Forgot to draw cards on my first cockatrice test game!

Bringing Affinity for Modern so hopefully I haven't lost a lot of the skill needed. Which decks should I be wary of?

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If this is real, gonna love me some black white in the next rotation!

bontuslastreckoning.jpg

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I don't think that card will live up to the hype.

Double black is an issue, timewalking yourself in the face of agro isn't too great either. Playing this on T3 will get rid of their T1-3 drops, they'll land a 4 drop, you don't untap, and you find yourself under as much pressure as before.

Midgame its decent but you might as well play a more expensive sweeper with additional upsides if you want that. Can't imagine it being played in any format besides standard, so its 100% certain to brick eventually.

• 1Like

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
played FNM for the 1st time since, zendi block? played a really bad red/green energy aggro deck, seemed fun to me, had no idea bristle hydra was as good as it was, but managed 2nd place.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Day one of GP, 6 matches against marvel.

So much coinflipping. I can honestly say I'm looking forward to sealed next week more than more standard tomorrow.

• 1Solidarity

SirJames

Golden Squire
Yea I play MTGO, I just sold most of my standard money cards and rotated over to modern.

Modern is so much more fun, the metagame is so diverse, the games move quicker and are much more interactive.

I was playing a Blue Green home brew in standard ( Nissa, steward with counter spells and draw) but every game was just a 30 min grind fest. I tried to have fun, but it's not.

Modern games seem to turn grindy less often. It's either a race or someone pulls ahead turn 4-6.

I love that modern has "answer" cards for everything, standard everything is a creature and every deck is midrange, boring

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, Monday's Maro article is "Metamorphosis 2.0"

Metamorphosis was last year's article introducing the 2-set Block structure and trumpeting it as the salvation of Magic.

"Ixalan" has additional product IDs in its application beyond the 2-set blocks' #s.
"25" (as in the 25th anniversary, next year) is registered as a normal booster pack product, separate from the Iconic Masters that releases later this year.

This all looks to add up to 3-Set Blocks and Core Sets coming back starting this fall. And as someone who loves the shit out of EDH, welcome back. 2-set Blocks don't let you get anywhere near enough of a mechanic to build a themed EDH deck for it. As someone who plays tournament magic a lot, I welcome core sets back. Give me my sideboard set back, WotC.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Core sets are fucking garbage though. Please no. Just have a pool of cards which are always legal and can be tweaked like the ban list. If an artifact is enabling a dominant deck, legalise an old and cheap artifact destruction spell.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm pretty convinced they are going to make a list of "evergreen" cards rather than just launch a new core set. Sort of like how Hearthstone has the basic set cards that will never rotate out of standard; just a big list of like 30-50 cards per color or whatever that will always be in standard as the base-line for that color.