MTG thread

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Is there some kind of software you are using or so?

I want to sell of my collection, which includes basically 1x every T1-T2 legacy deck + few thousand other cards.

Its going to take me years if I sell them on magiccardmarket but I don't want to lose 10-20% on the collection. Something to speed up the process would be very welcome.
For cataloging I am using an app on my iPhone called MTG Manager which just scans them via your camera. It's super fast.

For the selling part I haven't gotten that far yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, first commander set was vastly underprinted, since they didn't know demand yet, and contained various staple cards for EDH, and other formats (Hi Flusterstorm!). I'd probably move them if I had them now, though, since Wizards has shown a willingness to aggressively reprint Commander set cards recently.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The issue with agressive reprinting is that a lot of cards like flusterstorm and truename would not be balanced in any kind of standard / limited environment, meaning they need to reprint it in special stuff such as masters or FTV, they've never printed an all-staple set and I doubt they will. I think the first modern masters was as close as it ever got and that set still had a pretty high percentage of low value rares.

They have stated in the past they don't want to reprint cards with specific mechanics in standard sets which don't include those mechanics, tarmogoyf could confuse kitchen table timmy also, the flip cards are hard to print, given their policies its very complicated to reprint anything that isn't a hill giant in a regular set. Shocklands and fetches on the other hand are easy to reprint, so we'll be seeing them ad nauseam.

At the current pace of reprinting 20$+ staples with specific or hard mechanics, its never going to positively affect their price overall, they will keep losing ground.

Last edited:

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
I decided I'm going to pick MTG back up after over 20 years. I still have all my old cards (Alpha through Revised), but it looks like Standard might be the best route to start back up at this point and figure out how to use my legacy cards at a later date since I'm going to start back up with a friend who can't find his old cards. Should I just pick up a box or two of the most recent expansions and a Planeswalker deck to get going casually? It's probably more efficient dollar-wise to buy singles and create a deck, but it sounds like a lot less fun. Thoughts?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
In two months, half of standard rotates out. So if you want to buy a deck, you may want to focus on a deck that is mostly Kaladesh+Amonkhet, like:
Blue-Red Control Deck for Magic: the Gathering
or
Temur Energy Deck for Magic: the Gathering

Or whatever pops up as good after the upcoming Pro Tour that isn't reliant on Zendikar/Innistrad for its backbone.

Try to back-fill with good cards from Kaladesh Block and Amonkhet block, they're pretty cheap online at this point.

Even if you want to make your own decks, you're better off bulk-buying $0.05-$0.12 singles from standard legal sets on TCGPlayer than you are actually buying Kaladesh/Amonkhet block sealed product at this point. And then building/experimenting from your pile of singles purchased.

Might suggest getting one of the free MTG play platforms, like Cockatrice and XMage to dick around in, then go to your local shops to play some draft and see whether you can stand your local playerbase or not, before you buy back in.

• 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For cataloging I am using an app on my iPhone called MTG Manager which just scans them via your camera. It's super fast.

For the selling part I haven't gotten that far yet.

Does the iphone version have a bulk option where you can just scan scan scan, without having to hit back each time? The android version doesn't; seems like that could be a handy feature for doing bulk work.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Here is some of the sealed.

IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That modern event deck is decent, has paths, inquisitions, Elspeth, one of the swords I think? Commander decks I'd likely throw on ebay and see who bites, along with the fat packs/booster boxes. You could gamble on the oath/BFZ sealed looking for expeditions, but I wouldn't.

Intro packs you might as well just open, take rares out (which are all gonna be bulk) and dumpster the rest. They aren't worth the trouble and no one but normies and moms walking in to hobby shops buys them.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That modern event deck is decent, has paths, inquisitions, Elspeth, one of the swords I think? Commander decks I'd likely throw on ebay and see who bites, along with the fat packs/booster boxes. You could gamble on the oath/BFZ sealed looking for expeditions, but I wouldn't.

Intro packs you might as well just open, take rares out (which are all gonna be bulk) and dumpster the rest. They aren't worth the trouble and no one but normies and moms walking in to hobby shops buys them.
Yup, the sealed is all pretty much a bust.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Is that a reminder sheet for keyword abilities in the front of that binder?
Yeah, not my binder. He was a weird dude that had stuff all over the place. Those cards shown there were just in random locations I had to consolidate, random decks and stuff.