MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sterling

El Presidente
You'd be more likely to end up with a bunch of shitty green fairies. Labyrinth Minotaurs could could gum up the ground though!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If I could flip an Ihsan's Shade 10-year-old-me would say "YES"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Eat Homarids, bitch! Ah hell, it's been too long that's Fallen Empires.... bah.. forgetting my sets.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Didn't even manage to get the romance novel art for Elvish Ranger in the pack? Never lucky.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I'd go Legions as Kuro Kuro mentioned before. You are guaranteed 15 creatures, with Phage as a "whammy." And if I hit her, I wouldn't even be mad.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Noticed this when looking at the spoiler today, thought it was kinda neat. Reminds me of old X-men/Marvel cards from back in the day.

fullpage.jpg

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Well, someone linked Mark's blog in the comments where he said the 12m players and then went on a SJW diatribe.

Rudy is being Rudy but Mark being Mark more boldly is the actual problem. Fucking lunatic wants 50/50 player base in a competitive based game.

Edit, link:

And from the comments on Rudy's video:
MaRo unofficial response to your video Ruby from his Tumblr..." markrosewater donovanthepizzaguy asked: URGENT: The other day in your fantastic smack-down of someone over Spike's depiction, you cited lots of great data. However, you cited the active playerbase as 12,000,000 people strong. But the last released numbers put it much closer to the lauded 20,000,000 mark. This has prompted some discussion to start, most visibly in Rudy's new video. Has the playerbase REALLY shrunk by up to 40%, or is this just citing the 'visible' players as the topic was competitive play? Please clarify this ASAP. There are numerous ways to count the player base. Active participation and awareness tend to be the ends of the spectrum. I leaned towards the active participation number because when proving a point, I usually take the lower number."

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Not catching up on thread or anything, just checking in instead. Haven’t played 3vNico but I’m about to be Nicobolas. Prolly first time Nico loses at this house.

I’ve said before, I think the three can win. The guys I am playing against have never beaten Nico. Hopefully I am not the first

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Thoughts?

I haven't played MtG since Ice Age, but I caught one of Rudy's videos and I ended up falling down the youtube rabbit hole. His vids made me miss and also remember why I stopped playing. It also made me want to kick myself for selling my collection back in 1996 though.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
These unstable spoilers have been cracking me up. I haven't played in over a year, but I'm kind of wanting to go to the pre-release or release event just for fun. Pretty sure this set will be a ton of fun for just those events, then die off completely.. so if I want to play with the cards, that's the only real time to do so.
It's really a shame, because the overall design, aesthetic, etc.. is great with this set. I'd have loved to see them go to that setting with real cards even. If it weren't for a handful of cards, this would almost be a viable real set. The augment mechanic is great and could almost be a real thing. The 5 'guilds' are great. I just like everything about the setting.
Been checking for new spoilers twice a day, haven't been this interested in a set in years.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
MTG Youtube Community shat its pants over the holiday break hard enough for r/all to notice. Looking forward to all the online articles this week bemoaning the 100% misogynist ultra-rapist nature of the MTG fanbase because of a couple internet trolls, again.

Remember, if one person's group are assholes, that means every human who buys the same product is mecha-hitler.

On the plus side, for the Youtubers, this just means they'll all walk away with more money as their followers are galvanized to give more to their patreons, on both sides. Hooray drama, I guess?

Ah well, it'll all be forgotten in 3 weeks when Rivals Spoiler Season starts.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think the player base has shrunk. The game is really expensive, most cards don't hold value, and Hearthstone, Eternal, etc are cheaper options. I don't think Hearthstone gaining 70 million players was completely at the expense of MTG but at least some of it was. I sold 3 different collections over the years but I can't see anything that makes me want to come back except maybe for a pre-release. I haven't played in a bit over 3 years and I don't really miss it either.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the player base has shrunk. The game is really expensive, most cards don't hold value, and Hearthstone, Eternal, etc are cheaper options. I don't think Hearthstone gaining 70 million players was completely at the expense of MTG but at least some of it was. I sold 3 different collections over the years but I can't see anything that makes me want to come back except maybe for a pre-release. I haven't played in a bit over 3 years and I don't really miss it either.

Indeed, I debate sometimes doing a PR as a one-off thing to kill a couple hours like a movie, but I can't see myself going whole hog back into it unless Arena's model is more "friendly" like Eternal/Hearthstone/etc as well.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It certainly didn't help that Standard has been sweaty balls for the majority of the last three years, while Grand Prix prices have continuously escalated for the privilege of playing shit games (not looking forward to having to pay for both the PPTQs and RPTQs next year as well, although I understand the logistics of it necessitate such).

Sales #s keep going up, but actual event engagement is probably down.

EDH has devoured most of the FNMs in our town, as the casual FNM-player-base sees a format that's (generally) cheaper, lets you keep your pet decks forever, and is more fun-oriented. Which most of stores seem fine with, since the folks who actually buy boosters at full price instead of just shopping for singles online, tend to be in that casual crowd.

Last edited: