MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Mind Bend was from the first actual intentional Block Set, Mirage (Ice Age was originally intended to be it's own separate sub-product for play, but that got scrubbed). :)

Good news though, Blocks are gone as of now. Sets moving forward after RIX are Large Sets with self-contained mechanics. Multiple sets in a row may be located on the same plane if the story needs it, but that's no longer a rigid structure.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
RE: Arena

The game itself seems like it's put together well enough. The shortcuts have they have implemented to try and improve the flow of play for casual matches actually work pretty well, but if you want to play for real you can just turn full control mode on and it works just like MTGO does.

You can't currently buy packs at all, so everyones card pool is basically ass. Matches are boring as everyone is basically playing booster box sealed at this point, and in a tribal/creatures matter block it's not surprising that the massive over-statted dinosaurs are the best. I think the actual "best" deck you can build in this is a b/g midrange pile but it requires a pile of vraskas/contempts/jadelight rangers etc that 99% of people aren't going to have.

I think the idea behind their current economy is probably fine? The wildcards seem to flow pretty freely, even so much as you just get them randomly as rewards after a match. The vault thing took I think 10 packs to fill for me, and paid out half a dozen wildcards. The biggest issue right now is actually uncommons, as the packs they use online contain only 1-2 of them, so I'm constantly not able to have actual playsets of uncommons right now, where as the rares/mythics you tend tend to be more scarce.

Only real problem with Arena right now is the only way to play is blind best 1, which is fucking aids for a MTG format. It was aids in hearthstone too, but it's even worse here. They even have a modified mulligan system in place where it tries to always give you hands that are closest to your average number of lands in an opening hand. This fucks up deck building pretty badly, as currently the way the math works you basically run 22 lands or 26 lands, an no other number is is correct due to the way it handles the opening hand averages. It also massively favors aggressive strategies that can operate fully off 2-3 lands. It's a shitty fix to try and make a fucking awful match format slightly more tolerable.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Only real problem with Arena right now is the only way to play is blind best 1, which is fucking aids for a MTG format. It was aids in hearthstone too, but it's even worse here. They even have a modified mulligan system in place where it tries to always give you hands that are closest to your average number of lands in an opening hand. This fucks up deck building pretty badly, as currently the way the math works you basically run 22 lands or 26 lands, an no other number is is correct due to the way it handles the opening hand averages. It also massively favors aggressive strategies that can operate fully off 2-3 lands. It's a shitty fix to try and make a fucking awful match format slightly more tolerable.
Sounds awful.

This thread makes me want to play actual cardboard magic again.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I barely see dinos in arena, its pretty much 90% merfolk and the other 10% is a mix of dino/vamp/pirate.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I play in silicon valley, so it's more like a bunch of guys in hoodies with tech salaries in a pub. The brandy is accurate though. We do have a French fellow who is known to play while drinking champagne.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I’ve tried to do local draft nights a few times but the kids are so fucking weird they make me feel weird.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
sorry to be annoying, but just my weekly reminder I'm still looking for an arena beta key if anyone ends up with an extra. Alternatively, if you no longer want to play your account (or rarely play it and wanna share time), or otherwise need an incentive to part with the key, I'm willing to pay a bit for access. Can discuss details of it, if interested.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Don't sleep on Starcity sales. Playset of of "heavy play" Liliana for 60$ each:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Mostly already too late. Chandra buylist prices are down ~40% since this morning almost universally.

I lived through the Kamigawa era of Jitte being in a precon that was always 30$ and never available anywhere, so until I see 20 of each of these decks on the shelf of a Target or something I remain skeptical. The idea is fantastic and I really hope there basically an infinite supply, especially with all the money in the decks rotating in ~6 months, but we shall see.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Taught my financee how to play MTG with the red and blue 40 card trial decks.

Didn't want to tap the lands because she could remember what she had used and said playing was physically painful.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Chalice of the void at mythic. Eat a fucking dick wotc.

196.gif

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users