MTG thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea will be hard to know until gatherer updates. My gut says the rack is boned because its old and they probably don't even remember it exists.

I think the two most relevant cards are probably boros charm and lava spike? Burn losing 8 cards that can interact with a walker is significant.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Relevant part:
•The target creature or player marked in the ability is changed to "Any goal."

•The target player marked in the ability is changed to Target player or Planeswalker. However, if the amount of damage done is calculated based on information from the player or the object being manipulated by the player, the ability will not be modified. This type of ability will only deal damage to the player.

•The target opponent marked in the ability is changed to Target opponent or Planeswalker (also follow the above exception). Such spells and abilities can target Planeswalker you control.

• The ability to cause damage without having to specify a target has not been undone (except for the ability of a bottled woman).

The way I'm reading this, after the change should look like this:

Lightning Bolt - Deal 3 damage to any goal.

Lava Spike - Deal 3 damage to target player or Planeswalker.

The Rack - unchanged, should not affect a Planeswalker. Probably same with cards like Price of Progress, Eidolon of the Great Revel, or Rakdos's Return.

Earthquake - Deal X damage to each goal (creatures, players, Planeswalkers)

Depending on engrish of course (a bottled woman?) but I think its fairly straightforward. I'm sure there's a hundred corner cases, but its probably just that things like The Rack are going to be worse vs. walkers, and Earthquake style things better. Start hoarding those Comet Storms!

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I like the idea of the Sagas. It's kinda like a planeswalker/level up enchantment. It does bug me that all of them end at exactly 3. They do this a lot with new mechanics, to preserve design space one would assume, but then half the time they don't even revisit the mechanic. It just feels like it's artificially handicapped for no reason.

The whole historic and legendary theme is cool. I still think that mox is OP, especially for standard and modern, and we are gonna see decks running 4x of it immediately of there's even a handful of cheap and decent legendaries. You'll play a subpar 2 or 3 drop to turn the mox on and then ramp out some crazy 4+ legend. In modern, there's stuff like Isamaru that can make them basically as good, if not better, then the original moxes.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
OH SHIT!
Oath of Teferi
3WU
Legendary Enchantment
When Oath of Teferi enters the battlefield, exile another target permanent you control. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
You may activate the loyalty abilities of planeswalkers you control twice each turn rather than only once.

Teferi joins the gatewatch!! FUCK YEA! He's one of my favorite planeswalkers, been hoping he'd be in the storyline, along with Karn, when we got back to Dominaria. If he's taking the Oath, then he'll be showing up a bit, I hope.

I'm guessing that the big battle with Bolas is gonna be Ugin, Karn, Niv-Mizzet, Teferi and the Gatewatch all joining forces to finally bring him and his army down. Maybe Jace is even persuaded by Ugin to let Azor out of his prison sentence to help, too.

In any case, the story is going to a very fan friendly place, imo. Bringing back a bunch of old favorites to join forces is gonna be quite good from a lore perspective.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Llanowar elves is the best card in that spoiler. Shoutout to almost-bolt and almost-counterspell though, as its worth noting that delver/peezy/snapcaster are all wizards.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I feel like they got the Conspiracy designers to make some of these legendaries. Some really cool designs.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I'm ready to abuse saga's in edh in my counter manipulator deck.

Also anyone else noticed the buffed healing salve? Saw siege gang and warchief in there too.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, they brought back a lot of classics, and re-designed some old favorites. Buffed healing salve, Jaya planeswalker, new Darigaaz, motherfucking KARN, etc.. I really like the Jaya, as she was a planeswalker card before planeswalker cards existed, makes sense she'd get an actual PW card. I used to have a few dozen of her walmart promo card laying around, lol. Used to give them away in online trades or ebay sales, I had so many.

The sagas really bring back the nostalgia, too. They all reference something big, such as the Antiquities war. It's like Time Spiral all over again, one of my favorite blocks, but without the complexity that turned off casual players.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Ice Age saga is cute. Ice Age was about the time I finally convinced my parents that Magic was a good Christmas/Birthday gift idea, so that's when my collection actually started to expand to "building functioning legal decks" level :D

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Llanowar elves is the best card in that spoiler. Shoutout to almost-bolt and almost-counterspell though, as its worth nothing that delver/peezy/snapcaster are all wizards.
A bunch of the Merfolk are wizards too.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
  1. Corrosion flow

2. { 1 }{ Green }

3. Biological ~ Flow

4. 2/2

5. Whenever the erosive streamblocks a creature that wears an armor, or is blocked by a creature that wears a weapon, it destroys all equipment that is equipped on the latter creature at the end of the battle.
not quite a hearthstone ripoff but...

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Mox Amber is probably going to be fine. It doesn't cost a card, so it's *potentially* more busted than Diamond (the fairest mox ever). However, the fact that it can't ever ramp you straight from 0 -> 2 is probably enough to solve the problem. At best, humans will get a less reliable mox opal. At worst, it's a mana fixer.

Karn, on the other hand, draws cards and shits out living weapon cranial platings. I think he's gonna be good.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Damping Sphere

Artifact

If a land is tapped for two or more mana, it produces C instead of any other type and amount.

Each spell a player casts costs 1 more to cast for each other spell that player has cast this turn.

All sorts of possibilities for this in non standard formats.

Also uber elf :

Steel Leaf Champion
GGG
Creature — Elf Knight
5/4
Steel Leaf Champion can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less

And fixed Mox :

Amber Mox
{zero}
Legendary artifact
{Tap}: Adds one mana, the color of which is the color of any of the legendary creatures and planeswalkers you control.

As an aside it was revealed that Richard Garfield PhD is the designer behind Valves Artifact game :

Last edited:

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
not quite a hearthstone ripoff but...

What card is that ripping off of HS? It's a new take on all the ooze variants over the years that destroy artifacts/enchantments. This one just destroys equipment on a creature it blocks/is blocked by, but it's a better vanilla test stats as a result.
Btw: there is an english version of the notes now, makes a lot of cards make more sense.

Corrosive Ooze
1G
Creature — Ooze
2/2
Whenever Corrosive Ooze blocks or becomes blocked by an equipped creature, destroy all Equipment attached to that creature at end of combat.

Damping Sphere

All sorts of possibilities for this in non standard formats.
as a sideboard card, sure. It only hoses big mana and combo/storm decks, don't see a maindeck application.
As an aside it was revealed that Richard Garfield PhD is the designer behind Valves Artifact game :
This is some big news. I had only started to pay attention to Artifact based on some Gwent streamers talking about it being the next big game, especially with the direction Gwent has gone. Garfield being involved has amped up the hype now for me.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Think I got there late. By the time I tried digging around for anything worth a damn it was all overpriced. Best I found was a graded Armageddon which I couldn't talk myself into, and an MP Nether Void for around $330 before coupon.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Heylel find me 4 FBB revised/4th lightning bolts that don't look like they went through the washing machine. You hang out with all those oldschool nerds and stuff, someone has to have some that they replaced with beta.