MTG thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I dunno, it'd sure fit their theme of bulk rares at this point.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
It probably would have been uncommon like the other Iconic old ass rares, like Ishan's Shade.

Chris

Potato del Grande
How have they chosen the cards? I understand that you'd have Giant Growth in the set, but there's no Mox or Lotus type card?

Modern Masters made sense since it was mostly balanced Modern style decks in a draft format, like it had a bunch of the Affinity cards including all the expensive ones.

If it was me I'd have made the set be a "fixed" Alpha, no reserve list cards but similar non broken substitutes.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
It just seems a total mess. A majority of the cards are neither iconic or even representative of the themes their set/block was based around. A lot of them aren't great for draft. There's just a large number of cards I have no idea why they've included, let alone in a so called 'Iconic' set.And at $10 they can just fuck off frankly.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If this was Vintage Iconic Masters 2 Electric Bugaloo or whatever it wouldn't bother me as much as it does being pushed as the 25th anniversary set. I get that they want to release another master set and another and another but this set could have been special without needing to spike it with more big value.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
How dare you all besmirch the good name of Tree of Perdition. I know that's the card I immediately think of when I think Innistrad.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I'm in agreement with everyone that their cards choices are all over the place with many not making sense.

Like Sai of the Shinobi, Heavy Arbalest, and shit from pretty recent sets like Colossal Dreadmaw

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The 'terrible' commons and uncommons are probably to make it a functional draft format.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Obviously drafting B/R and beatin down with Balduvian Hordes and Ihsan's Shades yo.

• 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The 'terrible' commons and uncommons are probably to make it a functional draft format.

too bad hardly anyone drafts when EV is sub par

noone is going to draft this shit on MTGO, wonder if hasbro manages to figure out why, prolly not

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't buy the "but its for draft!" argument anymore. This set is a mess for draft, with no discernible archetypes to be seen, and an abysmal EV proposition. Kids will do like, one of these on release, then it's gonna rot just like Iconic did.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
did anyone check the gender ratio when it comes to planeswalkers? lets not lose track of the important things here

just noticed they didn't reprint Karl Liberated, thats most unfortunate of them

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
1ov8orelozj01.png

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
comet storm masters made me lol

mtg is quickly becoming one of those things that seem to offer the best experience to spectators

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If this, C17, and Iconic Masters are their bold new direction for "themeing," I would kindly ask them to go back to lazy themes like Color Pairs, as they seem to do that significantly better.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I love drafting gold sets (I'm also bonkers good at them.)

KTKx3 is actually my favorite limited set of all time followed by:
INV/INV/PS (way back when I first played paper.)
ISDx3
RTR/GTZ/DGM
MMAx3

It's remarkable how much my limited rating would vary on MTGO between gold blocks and non gold blocks.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Khans was super profitable to draft between fetchlands and having a local store where somehow only 2-3 people realized lands were pretty much always your high picks despite drafting 2-3 times a week. Hooray for people who just internalized BREAD and never thought to adjust for format quirks.