MTG thread

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Glad to see people just getting into the game now can already see the issues with the economy. Was starting to think maybe I was too close to it (the game and beta) and wasn't seeing things clearly anymore.

We've been bitching about the issue for months, and they just don't seem to want to budge. It's been quite frustrating to hear them say 'hey, we're listening guys, thanks!' and then continue to leave the economy in the same overall spot (they shuffle things around to try and change perception, but the net result has been mostly the same). The only solution that makes any sense, is some bean counter exec is afraid that if MTGA is too cheap, they'll simply lose paper and MTGO players to it. They are ignoring how much of a market there is out there for digital ccgs that could easily make up for the profits they'd lose while increasing their overall profit.

p.s. to the guy that got 4 mythic WC in a row.. yea... fuck you :-( but seriously, rare WC are more of a bottleneck then mythic WCs. For how many you need for a deck, you actually get mythic WCs relatively fast. Like, you get 2 rare WC for every 1 mythic WC, but you need more then 2x the rares in most competitive decks (often due to the mana base). Like, a hazoret red deck might have 4-6 mythics but 12-18 rares, and it's somewhat on the cheaper end of things.

Yea getting rares sucks. I mean before dominaria launched in mtga you used to get 5 packs for weekly, and 15 cards plus gold for dailies. I was getting two packs a day for a while there and I didn't get many rare wc. Like 5 or 6 total.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Official Richard Kane Ferguson playmats on Flipside Gaming. My poor wallet. I've never been a man who can turn down a Dakkon Blackblade.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Official Richard Kane Ferguson playmats on Flipside Gaming. My poor wallet. I've never been a man who can turn down a Dakkon Blackblade.
Dakkon Blackblade was my first 'big' purchase in MTG. I spent 30 dollars on it in 1996 or so? Cheap Moxes were like 90-120 dollars at the time, kinda wish I had actually bought one of those.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, I was 8 or 9 when he came out, and I was over the moon, between the art, and OMGSTAR/STAR (THAT'S AS BIG AS YOUR LANDS, THAT'S BASICALLY INFINITY). Saved allowance and did stupid small chores for neighbors and shit for a couple months to scrape together the $35ish he was on the comic store shelf for and bought it. First real feeling of pride in "working" for something.

Then Chronicles was printed and shat all over what I had saved and worked for. The reserved list is fueled by my childhood spite.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I am very glad I pushed for my dominaria playsets in trade aggressively during the week before release. So much silliness, and stores running out of product. It's all going to lurch back down when the massive wave 2 is released, tho.

If WotC smuggler's copter -s Karn, the internet is going to be a glorious flamepit.

• 1Worf

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Copter was in literally every deck and cost half as much.

Karn is great, but it's not as impactful as copter was.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I think Arena is cool, but lacks the long or even mid term hook factor. You grind and grind to get a deck close to whole as possible, but then what ? I take pride in my drafting skills and got totally rekt 0-3 every loss by less than 2 life, those fuckers are on point !

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Global Series: Meet Jiang Yanggu and Mu Yanling

So, with this in mind, Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling will only be Standard legal in China. It will not be Standard legal anywhere else. Like every other product we release, the cards will be legal for Legacy and Vintage use. They will not be legal in Modern.

What the fuck is going on over at wotc.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ravnica for fall, spring, and summer is nice. Assuming the third set will intermingle/breakdown the traditional guild colors/social groups during the Bolas backed guildwar.

"Get dat China money yo" set is amusing.

Partners with X looks like a more sane approach to partner mechanics.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Global Series: Meet Jiang Yanggu and Mu Yanling

So, with this in mind, Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling will only be Standard legal in China. It will not be Standard legal anywhere else. Like every other product we release, the cards will be legal for Legacy and Vintage use. They will not be legal in Modern.

What the fuck is going on over at wotc.
When I heard it, it sounded crazy, but after reading the article I understand. The cards aren't good, they won't get played at anything above an FNM level event, but it lets rando newbie play their planeswalker deck at FNM.
It's really not any crazier then the other cards in planeswalker decks we've had. The ones that are technically Standard legal, even though you can't get them anywhere else, and yet never show up in real decks.

On a different note, anyone reading the Dominaria story so far? I keep getting the impression the writer is setting up Jaya and Chandra to be the same person. i.e. Chandra gets flown back in time and becomes Jaya at some point. Maybe I just got the idea from one thing she said (something like 'fancy meeting me here' when she sees Chandra at Yavimaya) and now I'm forcing it, but she keeps saying things in a weird way and predicting what Chandra will say in the recent chapter too.

Chris

Potato del Grande
On a different note, anyone reading the Dominaria story so far? I keep getting the impression the writer is setting up Jaya and Chandra to be the same person. i.e. Chandra gets flown back in time and becomes Jaya at some point. Maybe I just got the idea from one thing she said (something like 'fancy meeting me here' when she sees Chandra at Yavimaya) and now I'm forcing it, but she keeps saying things in a weird way and predicting what Chandra will say in the recent chapter too.
Jaya Ballad appeared on a card as a creature, but then again it was very similar to a Planeswalker card.

Anyone else notice that Jace arriving on The Weatherlight in the Ixalan story had him speaking like a retarded SJW "Hi everyone I'm not dead!" the same event in the Dominaria story is totally different and has him talking very analytical like old Jace and loathing Lilliana which they actually set up in the last few blocks.

Is it because they hired a real writer?

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I was also a little confused by that interaction. In the Ixalan story, completely different dialogue happens. Someone, they didn't name them (sounded like either Jhoira or Jaya) says something like 'who's the nerd?' when he shows up, but that doesn't happen in the Dominaria story. Figured the new writer would just continue from that point in the other story.

As for Jaya, her original card was sorta how they represented planeswalker cards before Lorwyn. Plus, it's possible to lose, and then regain, your spark as well. We are about to see that with Teferi. So, it could easily be explained away even if Jaya wasn't a planeswalker at some point. Heck, whatever event causes the traveling back in time could be what causes her to lose it for awhile.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
On reddit, I've seen a couple mentions of BO3 coming to some parts of MTGA. But some quick googling can't confirm this. Is this happening?

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The devs have said it is, yea, but no time table given. It was in one of the recent 'state of the beta' posts that Chris makes on the beta forums. I wish it would happen as soon as possible. The economy is such a grindfest, and then the deck you work on for a month+ can suddenly become worthless with a new set, so I'm only playing on weekends now, when draft is available. But, Bo1 makes draft such a luckfest, it's starting to lose it's appeal.