MTG thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Phyrexian mana is actually kind of fine, they just went full retard on a couple of the cards letting them either be completely free, or shattering color pie restrictions, or sometimes both (mutagenic, gut shot, etc). No one ever complains about slash panther or porcelain legionnaire phyrexian metamorph where you can play otherwise normal cards at a slight discount in exchange for some life.

Sterling

El Presidente
Sure you can say that about a lot of mechanics. If Treasure Cruise was UU6 instead of U7 then it probably wouldn't be banned in a bunch of formats. Phyrexian mana on creatures for limited is kind of whatever, but when you put it on removal spells or make some free it's a huge issue.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Nah, Cruise would still be banned at UU6. See Dig Through Time. UU draw 3 isn't ancestral, but it's a damn sight better than nearly anything else you could do.

Sterling

El Presidente
Nah, Cruise would still be banned at UU6. See Dig Through Time. UU draw 3 isn't ancestral, but it's a damn sight better than nearly anything else you could do.
Would be generally worse than Dig for most decks and dig isn't banned in everything the way cruise is. The point in general though is mechanics that cheat on mana are dangerous if the drawbacks are something that can be worked around especially when linked to card draw or other card advantage or massive tempo boosts.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
wondering how lone it will take for the fire sales of SFM for the late comers on that to try to reap some of there investments back

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Would be generally worse than Dig for most decks and dig isn't banned in everything the way cruise is. The point in general though is mechanics that cheat on mana are dangerous if the drawbacks are something that can be worked around especially when linked to card draw or other card advantage or massive tempo boosts.

Dig is as banned or restricted as Cruise in every format from Vintage forward. It's arguably the more powerful card at 2cmc, I'll give you that. However, I think ultimately Dig ended up being the stronger card of the two as printed given that it had more time to find a proper shell. Cruise is just card quantity in a xerox deck. Dig enabled game ending combos at an absurd rate. Christ I hated playing against OmniTell back in the Dig era.

Sterling

El Presidente
Dig is as banned or restricted as Cruise in every format from Vintage forward. It's arguably the more powerful card at 2cmc, I'll give you that. However, I think ultimately Dig ended up being the stronger card of the two as printed given that it had more time to find a proper shell. Cruise is just card quantity in a xerox deck. Dig enabled game ending combos at an absurd rate. Christ I hated playing against OmniTell back in the Dig era.
Again I don't the specific cards matter as much as my point that mana cheating mechanics are dangerous

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Again I don't the specific cards matter as much as my point that mana cheating mechanics are dangerous

1000%. I hate em, for the most part. The only ones that get a pass are Alliance pitch cards because they're either a total necessity (Force), totally benign (Pyrokinesis, Contagion) or useless (the rest).

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
1000%. I hate em, for the most part. The only ones that get a pass are Alliance pitch cards because they're either a total necessity (Force), totally benign (Pyrokinesis, Contagion) or useless (the rest).

Admit it.

You like the kobolds.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Kobolds aren't cheating on anything. A 0/1 most definitely isn't worth a card on its own.

But I've totally played old school big red kobolds before. Gauntlet of Might is a hell of a thing.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Can anyone tell me who the fuck Jeff hoogland is? Saw a random article today about the legacy bannings mention him and never heard of the dude.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Can anyone tell me who the fuck Jeff hoogland is? Say random article today about the legacy bannings mention him and never heard of the dude.

Cringey streamer / semi-pro that does shit like play Owling Mine at an event while dressing up in a full owl costume.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He's a dude who whines about not being able to play "fair" magic, but thinks instant speed infinite combos tutored directly out of your deck are fair magic :D

One of many folks who tried to jump on the Pokemon Bandwagon after pokemon go briefly made Pokemon TCG a "thing" again online.

Turns out being a profanity-spewing bellend works about as well in Pokemon content creation as it does in magic content creation.

He makes neat decks, he's just a complete douchecanoe.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
LRcast show for M19 out, no LSV. Apparently there's some negotiations thing to straighten out between Limited Resources and Channel Fireball. While I like LSV, I kinda prefer when Marshall has other guests. LSV is just "marshall, but better at the game," so the set reviews tend to be a whole lot of agreeing, or Marshall just caving to whatever LSV says in the random instances of them disagreeing. Having Marshall in Camp Durdle, having a co-host that favors more aggressive lines makes for a better cross-section.

Last edited:

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Jeff Hoogland also tried going 'pro' in Hex and streaming Hearthstone for a bit.

Yea, I was wondering about the LR and LSV thing, so I found the reddit thread discussing it. I'm starting to wonder if Marshall is quite a bit different off camera/mic then he comes across. Not exactly rude or toxic, but maybe a little less easy going then he seems on air. There was some stories about constructed resources as well, that while they suggest it was more Efro being a douche (easily believable), combined with the rotating hosts of LR since inception and LSV potentially leaving, just makes me wonder.

Too bad we may never know what the exact issue is, I'm highly curious what the deal is. I have noticed LSV has seemed a bit pissed here and there in the last few months, but I chalked it up to him trolling. Now, I wonder if that wasn't actually how he felt.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Goreclaw is a fucking bear. The tempo advantage if you untap with her is unreal (if you can capitalize, of course). Dryad Greenseeker feels a lot more "Courser of Kruphix" than a random 2 drop uncommon has a right to. Haven't even come close to dropping any game I got her out in so far.

Vaevictis Asmadi feels very Hearthstone. Most of the time, his ability is pure upside goodness. Then 5% of the time he flips your opponent's bomb into play.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So.. drafted this on arena. Couldn't decide if I should try to splash Raff or not. Arena is weird in that I can still edit the deck, even though I've played two rounds so far (won both) with the goal to get to 5 wins. have so much good removal, I decided it was better to just be consistent with my colors, and it's not like Raff is a game warping bomb like Multani or something. Any thoughts?

DOM2.jpg
DOM3.jpg

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Seems like cards are so disgustingly powerful now that it's more the cards winning than the player?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean, if that were true it'd just be a random grab bag of who's doing well each week, rather than players consistently performing at different levels. Case in point, it's pre-release weekend, plenty of good players with rare-less decks beating out the derps rocking the lucky pools.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user