MTG thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You can't build decks in Keyforge. Each one is randomized with a tracking number for the randomized contents and you get to change 0 cards. So if you open a "good" deck and win with it, you can't use it anymore. In the 0 trading card game.

The entire game is a joke.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'd just build a deck with a single card which can be switched out after winning two tournaments so its considered a new deck.

Like Ronne said there's no deckbuilding. You buy a deck and that's it. It is fixed. The cards are all marked with a unique scan thing. When you win three Level One tournaments with that deck it is now Level Two and ineligible to be played at Level One tournaments.

Thinking about it a little bit more I think that tournaments for this game should be multi-deck tournaments like what Hearthstone developed in to. Bring three decks and it's either last deck standing or you have to win a game with each deck.

One deck best of three where the successful decks are pruned out of entry level events sounds hilariously awful.

edit - from their FAQ KeyForge emphasis mine

Can I build decks in KeyForge?

Every Archon Deck comes ready to play, without the need for deckbuilding or booster packs. The unique nature of each deck is part of what sets KeyForge apart from other games! It’s not the cards themselves that are powerful, it’s the combinations that exist in only your decks that make them special.

Are some decks stronger than others? What happens when a deck wins consistently?

Some Archon Decks in KeyForge will naturally be stronger than others, but every deck in KeyForge has value. First of all, every deck represents a chance to explore deeper into the world of the Crucible, potentially uncovering cards and combos that you never knew existed or have never played with before. Furthermore, just like any card game, some decks are better in certain matchups, and choosing the decks you’ll play is an important strategic element. And even if you and your opponent have decks that are less than optimal, it can be just as fun to swap decks and see what your opponent can do with your deck!

If a deck wins too often in an Organized Play framework, there are processes in place to handicap and eventually retire that deck.
For more information on this, keep watching our Organized Play articles and announcements for KeyForge!

Logan's Run - The Game

Heylel Heylel How many decks of Forced Obsolesce - The Card Game can I put you down for?

Last edited:

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So, counter-top in legacy used to be the most fun deck to play, since it gave you most options to manipulate your deck and avoid dealing with range?

Have to disagree.

I meant in terms of format, not individual decks. Countertop was tedious as fuck when a player didn't know what they were doing. It's not much better now considering all they did was replace Top with Portent and Preordains.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Heylel Heylel How many decks of Forced Obsolesce - The Card Game can I put you down for?

220px-Zero-mmx.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Edit: For some reason half the posts didn't pop up, nevermind.

Last edited:

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I’m curious about any crossover potential, are any of you MtG players interested in the DoTA digital TCG Artifact?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Depends entirely on the business model, no one knows all that much about the gameplay yet.

There's potential there if the game is good given the Steam market integration for sales/trading, but if it's a casual nonsense-fest like Hearthstone I don't think it will sway many heavy MTG players.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Well, of the recent spoiled today, only the Status // Statue card looks standard viable. Rest are likely just limited/casual chaff. Maaaybe Radical Idea sees some fringe play if other card draw is weak and/or a Ux deck has crazy graveyard synergies, but it seems expensive for a double cantrip effect.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's just a pile of commons and uncommons to demonstrate the mechanics. Previews don't start in earnest until next week.

The bounce + surveil might be fine.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I meant in terms of format, not individual decks. Countertop was tedious as fuck when a player didn't know what they were doing. It's not much better now considering all they did was replace Top with Portent and Preordains.

I think that if you state that lower RNG makes for more enjoyable formats, it has to be said that decks with options to mitigate RNG are more fun also.

Playing burn in legacy is great, until you draw 5 lands in a row with the opponent at 3 life. Perhaps most players don't realise it, but playing brainstorm and fetches lowers the impact of RNG, so it removes a good bit of frustration and makes the decks more fun to play.

Countertop was a ton harder to play online then irl, due to the way time works, and going 1-0 while playing countertop basically means you go to time in game a lot, which beats losing to flood / manascrew from the players perspective by a ton. This from a lands player that goes 1-0 against sneak and show and goes into time G2, tapping their basics with ports for 30 turns.

Last edited:

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
No, I'm pretty sure most legacy players know how Brainstorm works.

I just fucking hate limited and think its really stupid.

Sterling

El Presidente
Triple Invasion no communication team rochester draft was the best format of all time. Limited is great! Also Brainstorm is awesome, and honestly much more powerful than many things that are already banned in the format but it's one of those cards that helps create archetypes so it's a lot like having shops be unrestricted in Vintage.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
While I definitely agree it's a skill testing card and helps lead to a lot of smoother games, I'm generally of the opinion that legacy would be more interesting with brainstorm gone. There are plenty of cantrips to pick up the slack in xerox style decks. It would kill Miracles, but a control shell would materialize. All that said, I'm happy enough with the state of legacy right now that I hope they don't ban anything new for a good long while. Legacy needs stability, and it's refreshing to see some old favorites return to prominence with DRS gone. They happen to be blue decks, but beggars can't be choosers. It's better than the 4 color love fest we had before.

I'm optimistic that Guilds will provide at least a handful of oopsies too powerful legacy cards, probably via surveil or jumpstart. The format has had a lot of new arrivals lately anyway though. If we get something like a jumpstart card with a stronger effect on the back half, it might even give us a new vintage oath build. There's already some discussion of whether or not Quasiduplicate in Oath is good enough with a non-legendary target. Probably not, but who knows.

Sterling

El Presidente
If they're going to keep using Legacy every couple of years or whatever for Team PTs you can expect there to be shakeups in the B&R list from time to time leading up to those events. Same thing happens with Modern already.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Pretty sure Brainstorm is sacrosanct in Legacy these days, regardless of how stupidly broken it is.

That said, Brainstorm has never been the issue. Fetchlands are the issue, always will be, but they aren't ever going anywhere either.

Sterling

El Presidente
Won my first PTQ ever playing Brainstorms with Thawing Glaciers in good old block constructed. And Thawing Glaciers is orders of magnitude slower and derpier than Onslaught/Zen fetches. People played Brainstorm with Mirage fetches too and those are much worse than them as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea sure Brainstorm is still great with any kind of shuffle effect, but none of it on the level of the fetchlands, or even in the same universe really.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Changes to the pro tour qualification system announced today as coming down the pipeline, no specifics. End result will be 6 200-300 person pro tours a year instead of 4 400 person pro tours a year. Same pro tour payout as currently exists, so it's an EV increase in potential earnings for people already on the PT gravy train, but in order to slim down 25-50% they're definitely going to have to increase the difficulty of qualifying.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"Vivien made a loop of her index finger and thumb, stroking the Arkbow like a lover."

This has been a... special... week of magic story.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users