MTG thread

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Boy this is gonna do interesting things to Modern. Everyone is gonna have to re-evaluate their mana base and actually start running basics.

Attach files
Assassins_Trophy_EN.png

"fatal push", "assasin's trophy" where's like mutilate or blood rain or something with a little bit more spice to it.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it me, or are a number of the Surveil cards nucking futs? Dimir has definitely had the pendulum swing towards it for the first time ever.

They need to print the BR Petrify to complete the "cycle" that started with Mortify and Putrefy!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I've been wanting that cycle to complete for damned ever, but I fear it may not happen.

I'd settle for a Dreadbore reprint I think.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I find it hilarious how good Dimir's creatures are for limited.

Unrelated, Doom Whisperer is just the kind of magic card you look at and say "Wut?" And then reread looking for a missing word or line of text.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
He's playable just based on his body alone I'd think. The Griselbrand-ish text is just gravy.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I find it hilarious how good Dimir's creatures are for limited.

Unrelated, Doom Whisperer is just the kind of magic card you look at and say "Wut?" And then reread looking for a missing word or line of text.
I'm pretty biased towards dimir/izzet guilds, and while I agree with what you're saying, I think the boros/selesnya/golgari stuff all looks just as solid right now. Everything seems a bit stronger then normal, but that's cause there are a bunch of gold cards that are naturally higher power level. Especially in comparison to the m19 we've been drafting. Something like Conclave Guildmage (GW, 2/2, G, T: Your creatures gain trample. 5W, T: Create a 2/2 elf knight with vigilance) would be pretty close to a bomb in m19, as a random example. Or, the Ochran Assasin (1GB, 1/1, deathtouch, All creatures must block it) is basically what declare dominance did, in a 3 drop creature.

I think izzet, on the surface, looks the weakest so far. But, that's often true of R/U 'spells matter' decks in any limited format. Or, they need a certain amount of pieces before they are good. Despite that, from an enjoyment perspective, I'm looking forward to playing Izzet the most :) That's easily my favorite guild.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Also, on the note of Limited, I think they are trying to push people to commit to a specific guild with the cycle of XXYY color cards. Ex: Nightveil Predator costing UUBB. However, people are just gonna take guildgates and manafixing super early, much like previous 3+ color sets, and then pick whatever comes their way after.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, going to blackhole me some guildgates in the top 8 redrafts prerelease weekend.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Guildgates are in the basic land slots, so I doubt there will be all that much reason to stick to a color pair.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Guildgates are in the basic land slots, so I doubt there will be all that much reason to stick to a color pair.
If you have a ton of UU and RR cards, you cant splash too much even with a few guildgates. In theory, anyway. Depends on rest of cards, but i think that is their goal. To make the fixing work best for a specific guild, rather then 4/5 color decks. I.e. a mostly guild deck maybe with a splash of another guild, so a golgari deck splashing 1-3 dimir or selesnya cards.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah with these XXYY uncommons and shit you're likely mostly going to be 2 colors with a light splash. Maybe you can be that guy with 9 guildgates and 2 mana rocks, but I doubt that'll be all that common.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Force 5 Color goodstuff in every draft format is the only way to live.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Set looks like it'll be fun to play with, but by god are these Legends a pile of duds for EDH. Lazav is okay but boring since he'll just tutor/bin the exact same 3-4 cards every game. Emmara has some interesting build space, but ultimately does a very bland thing. Niv Mizzet is slightly more powerful than Mizzet #1, at the cost of crippling your mana. Rest are just meh.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Welcome to current MTG design, where Commander dictates that a dozen or so rares/mythics every set be overcosted, unplayable trash so the autists can sit around throwing their 13 mana enchantments at each other over the course of a 3 hour game.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's not quite that simple, but I'm still not really a fan of it. Amazon etc already had infinite cards for sale, as well as big box physical stores, there was just a middleman involved. Wotc just wants that middleman gone so they get their cash directly.

The real issue is what kinds of prices is Amazon going to force out of wotc, and is it gonna drive the price of sealed product down even further and erode LGS profit etc.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
B/G rock shell with quad field of ruin and 4 of these could heavily, heavily tax basic land counts of most modern decks right now

What do you mean by tax the land counts? What happens if the target doesn't have any more lands? It looks like it's optional because it says they may search for one.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Trophy can target lands, so in the context of Modern where a lot of decks are only running between 1-3 basic lands you can easily put your opponent in a situation where they have no basics left in their deck, which turns Trophy/Ghost Quarter/Field of Ruin in to actual strip mine effects.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
What do you mean by tax the land counts? What happens if the target doesn't have any more lands? It looks like it's optional because it says they may search for one.
Many decks run very few basics and if they don't have basics in their deck these cards end up not having a drawback which makes them crazy good and you can even attack their manabase if the board state dictates that.

• 1Like