MTG thread

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
"Vivien made a loop of her index finger and thumb, stroking the Arkbow like a lover."

This has been a... special... week of magic story.

That's right, cradle the quiver. It's where all his arrows are. He's going to shoot them all at the target and trying to get at least one to the center of your bullseye.

GENTLE SUBTEXT TRULY WORTHY OF SHAKESPEARE

Chris

Potato del Grande
"Vivien made a loop of her index finger and thumb, stroking the Arkbow like a lover."

This has been a... special... week of magic story.
I looked up the author. Former women in tech (Buisness Manager not coder/engineer). Part time journalist (Ars Technica). It's a brown/female diversity hire.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"Why do we need Vivien? We've already got multiple Black Green planeswalkers"

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Let's be real here, when has the magic "story" blog post shit they put out every set ever been good?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Prodigal Sorcerer one for Eternal Masters was great. Ain't nobody fucks with Tim!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Boy this is gonna do interesting things to Modern. Everyone is gonna have to re-evaluate their mana base and actually start running basics.

Attach files
Assassins_Trophy_EN.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not just modern, that's definitely a new entrant into the top 10 removal spells of all time, most likely the top 5.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Boy this is gonna do interesting things to Modern. Everyone is gonna have to re-evaluate their mana base and actually start running basics.

Attach files
Assassins_Trophy_EN.png

Bloodmoon didn't do that so I can't see this card doing it.

Not just modern, that's definitely a new entrant into the top 10 removal spells of all time, most likely the top 5.

As a 2 mana removal spell that accelerates the opponent I only see it as a top planeswalker removal spell, for every other permanent there are beter options.

I think they based this off sinkhole and balanced it pretty well .. its a flexible card but the raw power level is low.

Its funny how reddit people hype this against tron .. tron plays 12 tutors that can find their land, 8 of which are deck-wide .. I'd be willing to bet playing this card against tron lands in various matches will lower the win percentage of the deck involving it, tron is not a deck you want to 1 for 0 while accelerating them.

If it even makes sideboards due to tron matchup, it will be because its a 2 mana out to karn and ugin, not because it is mediocre land-removal.

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You're not seeing the value in this card for Tarmogoyf decks. You don't have to fuck with trying to balance your number of terminates/dreadbores/pushes/maelstrom pulses anymore, you just jam 4 of these and are covered vs everything.

A B/G rock shell with quad field of ruin and 4 of these could heavily, heavily tax basic land counts of most modern decks right now, and that's just a side bonus really while you also get to run a hyper-efficient universal removal spell.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
That thing feels pushed as hell. That card will almost certainly be meta defining for modern. Having no real downside and no targeting restriction is pretty gross and even instant speed.

The fact that it hits anything is mind blowing to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
You're not seeing the value in this card for Tarmogoyf decks. You don't have to fuck with trying to balance your number of terminates/dreadbores/pushes/maelstrom pulses anymore, you just jam 4 of these and are covered vs everything.

A B/G rock shell with quad field of ruin and 4 of these could heavily, heavily tax basic land counts of most modern decks right now, and that's just a side bonus really while you also get to run a hyper-efficient universal removal spell.
Right, the G/B decks may not need a 3rd color now, which opens up other things suck as colorless lands like Field of Ruin/Tectonic Edge etc. It's not a good removal spell necessarily for their Goblin Guide, but it's power is in it's flexibility at low mana cost.

Sterling

El Presidente
That thing feels pushed as hell. That card will almost certainly be meta defining for modern. Having no real downside and no targeting restriction is pretty gross and even instant speed.

The fact that it hits anything is mind blowing to me.
The land thing is very real downside, casting it on their 1 or 2 drop is pretty crappy.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
This shouldn't be cast on turn 2-3 anyways. I just want to buy some goyfs now and splash for snapscasters with this thing and go to town.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, in modern/legacy, it's very easy for your opponent to just not have a basic to grab in the mid/late part of the game. Especially if it's some kind of Abzan shell where you are also using path to exile. There's plenty of decks with only 1-2 basics total. That is certainly a new staple for BG decks.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yea, in modern/legacy, it's very easy for your opponent to just not have a basic to grab in the mid/late part of the game. Especially if it's some kind of Abzan shell where you are also using path to exile. There's plenty of decks with only 1-2 basics total. That is certainly a new staple for BG decks.
It's very possible you'd still want to play white with these, for Lingering Souls and Stony Silence and maybe Path as well. 2 colors with Field of Ruins/Tec Edge type cards is pretty interesting too though.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm not sure how many field of ruins you really get to run in a traditional abzan/jund manabase is the issue, especially without being weak to the effect yourself.

Plan old vanilla B/G rock super, super consistent and gets to run a mountain of basics while simultaneously taxing opponents color sources and basic count etc. Something similar to this, though I'm personally not huge on confidant these days:

G/B Midrange by _alice1986_ Deck

Sterling

El Presidente
I'm not sure how many field of ruins you really get to run in a traditional abzan/jund manabase is the issue, especially without being weak to the effect yourself.

Plan old vanilla B/G rock super, super consistent and gets to run a mountain of basics while simultaneously taxing opponents color sources and basic count etc. Something similar to this, though I'm personally not huge on confidant these days:

G/B Midrange by _alice1986_ Deck
That's what I was talking about, just not sure that's worth losing Lingering souls and Stony Silence for though.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Day 1 errata to Invert to make it "until end of turn" instead of permanent. That's three instances of emergency functional errata and/or changing the actual rules of spellcasting to make a card work the way you want it to in a year and a half. That's a pretty shitshow record, recently, especially with this being the set you have even more eyes on in the testing process than ever before. And only one of those changes (Hostage Taker) was to stop potentially abusive play. Squee/Bindings change and Invert changes are just to save the poor fragile idiots you assume your playerbase are from themselves.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Let's be real here, literally no one actually wants that Invert card to be permanent. That is such an unbelievable nightmare of phantom record keeping.

But yea, which ever shitty intern or editor or whatever is responsible for proof-reading cards is probably in trouble.