MTG thread

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I found it eventually, but there's a couple red flags there. Like, using 'Color pairs' on niv-mizzet seems a little janky.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Another mechanically unique, constructed-viable buy-a-box-promo. Looks like I'm out for another set.
war-275-tezzeret-master-of-the-bridge.jpg

Doesn't seem nearly as bad as Nexus of Fate imo

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The only card that matters from this new set so far

en_JMsdRgcV1R.png

Yeah I saw that just now on a different site and was gonna mention it here. 2 Mana Edict effect back in Standard is huge. And I don't play Commander but that extra multiplayer wording is nice for people that do.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also means it works against hexproof players, which can matter in the modern boggles matchup. No Leyline of Sanctity protecting you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The only card that matters from this new set so far
From a story standpoint, it also implies she doesn't die like the trailer was suggesting. Despite what was shown in the trailer, I figured they wouldn't kill her off. She's too popular of a character, and now she's starting to play well with others. We need some 'heroic' mono-black characters, though that seems to be what Davriel was setup to be as well (according to Brandon Sanderson) but I think he'll end up being more UB.

Also helps that they've made an 'evil' UW planeswalker in Dovin. It's nice to see them get away from 'white/blue/green is good, black/red is evil'.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Doesn't seem nearly as bad as Nexus of Fate imo
Missed this post earlier.. Oh, it's pretty close. That +2 doesn't take long to kill, and stabilizes nicely, even with just 1-2 artifacts out. Nexus didn't seem very playable when it was released, more of a commander card, but then people kinda broke it.
Tezz is bringing affinity for artifacts into standard, and that's always been a busted mechanic. Maybe they balanced it out enough, only being on creatures/PW and not being a ton of good artifacts.. but I'm not holding my breath. Some treasure maps/lockets in a UB control shell could be enough and I'm sure there's a few decent artifacts if I did a search.

edit: Treasure Map, Azor's Gateway, Lockets, Primal Amulet, Fountain of renewal and Thaumatic Compass seem like strong possibilities. With Explosive apparatus, Skittering Surveyor, Skyscanner, Icy manipulator, Silent Dart, Bloodtallow Candle, Sorcerous Spyglass and Transmogrifying wand being some utility/sideboard options, especially with his -3.

Last edited:

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Liliana's triumph is a great card, instant legacy card.

It is even better than diabolic edict without a planeswalker. Now jund who run Liliana anyways will also mainboard this or at least sideboard this. At worse its a 2 cmc discard once Big Mamma hits the board.

Also you can play it after Draw step and before main phase..

This card is fucking busted lol.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Edict in modern is my favorite card so far, doubly so that LotV is played so the rider can actually be relevant.

Can't wait to edict someone on their draws step with Lili in play.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you liked playing Electrostatic Pummeler decks, Dreadhorde Arcanist kind of brings that back. 1R, 1/3 Trample that casts an instant or sorcery from your Graveyard without paying its mana cost when it attacks, so long as the instant or sorcery's cost is equal to or lower than Arcanist's power. They also reprinted Giant Growth. So you can double Giant Growth or double Colossus him for a 7/9 or 9/7 trample attack. Thud is basically double-strike for the kill turn.

New set even has that random R +2/+1, haste, scry 1 spell if you're inclined to broadside people out of nowhere.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
If you liked playing Electrostatic Pummeler decks, Dreadhorde Arcanist kind of brings that back. 1R, 1/3 Trample that casts an instant or sorcery from your Graveyard without paying its mana cost when it attacks, so long as the instant or sorcery's cost is equal to or lower than Arcanist's power. They also reprinted Giant Growth. So you can double Giant Growth or double Colossus him for a 7/9 or 9/7 trample attack. Thud is basically double-strike for the kill turn.

New set even has that random R +2/+1, haste, scry 1 spell if you're inclined to broadside people out of nowhere.

Mono red Phoenix could use him.
Just checked he's a wizard as well you can double cast wizard lightning with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can't do Wizard Lightning twice unless you find some way to up his power by 2, since Lightning's CMC is 3 even if you get the wizard discount :) Still, flashbacking burn is going to be good with him too!

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Can't do Wizard Lightning twice unless you find some way to up his power by 2, since Lightning's CMC is 3 even if you get the wizard discount :) Still, flashbacking burn is going to be good with him too!

Oh yeah!

What about that legendary izzet wizard that gives all your wizards prowess? That seems like a good shell for him. Every spell you cast makes your board bigger then you attack and play another spell for another pump.

Warlords fury/opt/shock etc