Mountain GoatRCreature — Goat11
Pathbreaker Ibex4GGCreature — Goat33
Thriving Ibex3WCreature — Goat24
Wild Colos2RCreature — Goat Beast22
Zodiac GoatRCreature — Goat11

Plus all the shapeshifters or w-e.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Force of Rage is unplayable trash fyi. It exiles at the beginning of your upkeep, not end step like you'd want it to, so it's mostly just Ball-Lightning, which hasn't been good enough in 20 years.
I realize it was upkeep, but being RR1 instead of RRR ,and two creatures instead of one, can all generally be considered upsides. Plus, the fringe cases of using it as surprise blockers/removal on opponents turn.

Don't get me wrong, I doubt it's shaking up modern, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple copies make it into some tier 2 decks.

I do agree they missed the mark slightly on the marketing. They made it sound like they'd be drastically changing modern, but I doubt that was ever their intent. I think there are more playable cards then you are suggesting, but mostly for all the tier 2/3 decks. I know a local guy who has been playing a slivers deck for years, has won qualifier tournaments with it even, who is gonna love this set. I believe WOTC's intent was to try and give more toys to all the lower tier decks, not to add anything significant to the tier1 decks, and hopefully spawn some new ones in the process.

As for the cards, I think there is quite a number of cards that look fine. Archmage's charm, Plague engineer, Ranger-Captain of Eos, Force of Despair, Cabal Therapist, Flusterstorm, Force of Negation, Sling-Gang Lieutenant, FoF, Regrowth, Prohibit, Nimble Mongoose, Wrenn and Six, Ice-Fang Coatl, Lightning Skelemental, the horizon canopy lands and Prismatic Vista.. all seem to range from clearly playable to 'potential sideboard tech'. Considering how big the card pool is for modern, that's a decent ratio of playable cards for one set. Some of those look like they'll be good in legacy, even. I don't see any that scream 'broken' and will spawn a completely new deck, though, which is what I think people were expecting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Fringe for sure, but people those shitass bushwacker decks and I think it probably slots into that in some number.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Eh, I think a bunch of these cards will have legs on them. Maybe not right away, but it'll definitely be a set that makes an impact. The real problem is that they're following up War of the Spark, which has had an enormous impact all the way back to vintage.

Force of Negation and Force of Vigor are both non-trivial additions. The horizon lands are absolutely going to become staples, and the planeswalkers will probably find some kind of home.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What impact is War of the Spark having outside of Standard? I haven't been keeping up on any other formats, but I'm interested in knowing.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Turns out Narset is Dig Through Time stapled to a Leovold effect in vintage, and small Teferi basically plays like a Vindicate that cantrips and makes counterspells pointless.

And then there's new Karn, which comes with a free i-win combo at the cost of 1 sideboard slot. It's seeing play in a BUNCH of different decks because the opportunity cost is so low.

• 1Like

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
for Modern, Finale of Promise is degenerate in Phoenix, and Azorius control is putting up big numbers with Dovin's Veto and small Teferi. Finale of Devastation in some dumb infinite combo green deck.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Just sharing. Landed a part time job at a MTG/comic/d&d store.
Figure I might as well get a monopoly on new cards instead of dropping $ on packs.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Bought a signed Gitaxian Probe last night while drunk. Fucking whiskey.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hey hey, a Null Rod you can hit with Collected Company and Chord of Calling.

CollectorOuphe.jpg

• 1Like