MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Academy ruins for enchantments, cool. Not nearly as powerful, but it's awesome flavor. Again, it's like Time Spiral block and I'm digging it.
Though, watch some Johnny break it in half with some obscure card I can't even think of.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Academy ruins for enchantments, cool. Not nearly as powerful, but it's awesome flavor. Again, it's like Time Spiral block and I'm digging it.
Though, watch some Johnny break it in half with some obscure card I can't even think of.

Yep as a Time Spiral fan that was bummed they never did something like it again, this is awesome. And thankfully already seems confirmed for a series and not just a one time thing. $$$

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I'm loving the new Three-Llanowar-Elves-Stapled-Together. I do wonder how many of these designs started as complete jokes, and then just wound up as real cards.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Probably a silly question, but as I wasn't around for Time Spiral, what specifically about this set makes it seem like a "Time Spiral 2?" Characters? Mechanics? Lore?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The fact that there is a bunch of mechanics from various sets throughout magic history. Callbacks to old cards, even Alpha stuff. Twists on existing cards. Time Spiral block was about the past/present/future of Dominaria all meshing together. Time Spiral was the past, Planar Chaos present (with color pie swaps, i.e. damnation was just a black Wrath of God), Future sight the future (many of the future card frame cards ended up being printed in future sets).

Some examples:
That red goblin revealed recently, Pashalik Mons, is a deep-cut reference to Alpha card 'Mons' Goblin Raiders'. He is directly referenced in the flavor text.
That Vesperlark card is a 'baby Reveillark'.
Urza/Yawgmoth/Serra are 3 of the most requested characters to get a card, all 3 with crazy amounts of lore and story going back to the earliest sets.
Bazaar Trademage is 'Bazaar of Baghdad's effect on a Serendib Efreet, with flavor text referencing cards from Arabian Nights.
Deep Forest Hermit is Deranged Hermit with Vanishing.
Ravenous Giant is a red Juzam Djinn
etc..

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
+
?

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I'm loving the new Three-Llanowar-Elves-Stapled-Together. I do wonder how many of these designs started as complete jokes, and then just wound up as real cards.

My favorite part of that card is that the 3 elves are each one of the arts that Llanowar Elves has had.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Modern already had Day's Undoing but this new card adds some redundancy. Modern is getting too legacy lite for my taste, just give us real FoW you cowards.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That card also lets you cast turn 3 7 drops.

Mono Green Tron, anyone? Or some ridiculous Nykthos deck.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Reprints I am surprised we haven't seen so far:

Cabal Coffers
Worn Powerstone

I'd love to see Recoil in Modern but it'd either be abusive or terrible, not sure.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Modern already had Day's Undoing but this new card adds some redundancy. Modern is getting too legacy lite for my taste, just give us real FoW you cowards.
And Commit // Memory.

We definitely need a Coffers reprint. That fucking thing is over $40 now. They just reprinted Urborg so it has to be coming.

• 1Like

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
the fuck was all of that about? i listened to about 1/2 of then before i turned it off

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
the fuck was all of that about? i listened to about 1/2 of then before i turned it off
Probably "WOTC stole my ideas and tell me to fuck off when I complain"? Not going to waste time (since it's part 1 of 6, even) in conspiracy theory.

Mind you, it's only 99% of the time that it's true. 1% of the time, you end up with a Bethesda scandal (where an intern copied a D&D module, changing just the names).

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The dude is literally fucking crazy, don't bother watching. Like.. he has dis- associative schizophrenia or something. He thinks random card arts are being targeted at him because of passing resemblances to events/people in his life.

I swear to god he did a 'illuminati confirmed' type of illustration at one point I watched, and not ironically.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
The dude is literally fucking crazy, don't bother watching. Like.. he has dis- associative schizophrenia or something. He thinks random card arts are being targeted at him because of passing resemblances to events/people in his life.

I swear to god he did a 'illuminati confirmed' type of illustration at one point I watched, and not ironically.
Sounds about right.

He couldn't string a coherent thought together in his video, I gave up 10 minutes in but he didn't seem to say what he was actually accused of... just that he was framed for racism.

I'd guess he's actually guilty of whatever it was.

• 2Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Probably "WOTC stole my ideas and tell me to fuck off when I complain"? Not going to waste time (since it's part 1 of 6, even) in conspiracy theory.

no you have no idea lawl it gets into like multi decade conspiracy where clues are cards printed.

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users