MTG thread

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Mine had a small dent/tear on one edge. Otherwise is was good. So now I need to get it framed before it permanently curls... oh wait, foils, already curled!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
random idea about a possibility for a new card, after reading some blogs from MTG designers, specifically after reading about the color pie and thinking about how my BW color deck could use some mana ramp.

could black possibly get their own Llanowar Elves? perhaps the same except you have to pay 1 life each time you tap it, to keep the color pie happy.

or does this exist already?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
What you describe is basically Elves of Deep Shadow in reverse.

Also, they had deathrite shaman and that turned out poorly.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
yeah you'd have to make it pretty shitty, like B1 0/1 tap, lose 1 life add B, and that might honestly bleed into green's shit too much.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
To be completely honest, deathrite probably would still be at least Legacy legal if it had been a 1/1 instead of a 1/2. While the abilities are strong, that second point of toughness ends up being really critical.

• 1Like

Rerun

Molten Core Raider
Pharm, Blightsoil Druid is a (2 mana) black mana dork that for tap + pay a life gives 1 green mana.

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
What about this guy?
Urborg Elf.jpg

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
random idea about a possibility for a new card, after reading some blogs from MTG designers, specifically after reading about the color pie and thinking about how my BW color deck could use some mana ramp.

could black possibly get their own Llanowar Elves? perhaps the same except you have to pay 1 life each time you tap it, to keep the color pie happy.

or does this exist already?
No because tapping a creature for mana is still green. Your elves would be Green/Black. Black can't just have whatever it wants at the cost of life, it's usually just life for cards. Black ramp used to be Dark Ritual - Pay B to get BBB but that was moved to Red.

I used to read those blogs, so I'll have a go!

Liliana of the Realms was Black ramp, gaining mana for each Swamp controlled. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth was Black colour fixing, changing all lands into Swamps. So idea #1 would be something that cares about how many Swamps you have or turning things into Swamps.

Then there's Phyrexian Mana which was Black inspired because Phyrexia used to be a Black faction. So idea #2 would be allowing you to pay life instead of mana costs.

So here are my cards:

BBB Dredge
Sorcery
Return a land from your graveyard to play tapped. It's now a Swamp.

BBB Lifetap
Sorcery
You cannot spend mana this turn. This turn you may pay 2 life instead of colorless or black mana costs.

Mana costs are fairly high and selfish to differentiate it from Green/Red ramp. Black shouldn't be as good at this as Green.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No because tapping a creature for mana is still green. Your elves would be Green/Black. Black can't just have whatever it wants at the cost of life, it's usually just life for cards.

As R Rerun pointed out

mor-59-blightsoil-druid.jpg

So really I'm just thinking about what it would take for a one mana version of Blightsoil Druid.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
black ramp can be significant, it just has to be one time use, and/or have a pretty hefty penalty, and/or be a negative in the long term.

Something like: B 1/1 Tap, lose 5 life, sac: Gain BBB.

Or

B 1/1 Tap, sac: gain BBB and an emblem which states: During upkeep you lose 1 life unless you pay BB or 4. Remove Emblem from game after 3 such payments.

Chris

Potato del Grande
black ramp can be significant, it just has to be one time use, and/or have a pretty hefty penalty, and/or be a negative in the long term.

Something like: B 1/1 Tap, lose 5 life, sac: Gain BBB.

Or

B 1/1 Tap, sac: gain BBB and an emblem which states: During upkeep you lose 1 life unless you pay BB or 4. Remove Emblem from game after 3 such payments.
I like the tax version, how about:

B Consuming Ascendancy
Enchantment
During your upkeep add a counter to this, then lose 2 life and gain B for each counter.

Or

B Demonic Contract
Enchantment
Gain BBBB.
During your upkeep pay B or lose 5 life.

Black can't remove enchanments easily lol.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
To be completely honest, deathrite probably would still be at least Legacy legal if it had been a 1/1 instead of a 1/2. While the abilities are strong, that second point of toughness ends up being really critical.

I can't help but feel deathrite was banned to make burn and goblins playable at a competitive level.

Which didn't work out, since the problem is the powerlevel of those deck is too low, not a single card keeping them down.

I like the tax version, how about:

B Consuming Ascendancy
Enchantment
During your upkeep add a counter to this, then lose 2 life and gain B for each counter.

Or

B Demonic Contract
Enchantment
Gain BBBB.
During your upkeep pay B or lose 5 life.

Black can't remove enchanments easily lol.

The first card is complete ass and the second is OP as fuck, a sorcery speed recurring dark ritual +1? Lmao.