MTG thread

Vinen

God is dead
Need to do another box. Thinking Mirage, Time Spiral or Future Sight.

I'm working on collecting a box from Ice Age moving to present to display in my basement. This is the start of my collection (staged on 1st floor until Kitchen renovation done).

Thats a full Urza's block I snagged for 6K. The boxes in the bottom right are ones I'm going to crack as they are damaged (packs are fine). Rest will be stored away for 20 years from now... Actually- Chronicles im going to crack for fun.

20190801_150037.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Been curious about how Rudy's box openings work. How do you get him to do one and for the patrons do you just pay market price on the box?

Vinen

God is dead
Been curious about how Rudy's box openings work. How do you get him to do one and for the patrons do you just pay market price on the box?

I just messaged him over Patreon and worked out a box. Then sent him money via Paypal. He then ships it out to me after the video has been recorded. So yes, market price. I paid 600US for the Ice Age box which is roughly market when taxes and shipping are taken into account.

For special boxes (Like Ice Age) he ships everything, Boxes + All Cards. For current sets (say Modern Horizons, Core 2020) he ships the rare, mythic and foils.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
I just messaged him over Patreon and worked out a box. Then sent him money via Paypal. He then ships it out to me after the video has been recorded. So yes, market price. I paid 600US for the Ice Age box which is roughly market when taxes and shipping are taken into account.

For special boxes (Like Ice Age) he ships everything, Boxes + All Cards. For current sets (say Modern Horizons, Core 2020) he ships the rare, mythic and foils.
Is it live? If he opens money cards he could just abandon the video and go open a new box.

He has A LOT of credit card debt to pay off.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Is it live? If he opens money cards he could just abandon the video and go open a new box.

He has A LOT of credit card debt to pay off.
He would have to open a ridiculous amount of money to do that. Most of the boxes are priced well above what you could actually pull from them these days.

And, I mean, this Stronghold box is probably the best thing ever packaged up and he put the video up. I assume he gives a shit about his reputation and has plenty of cash from patreons / other investments to not be a sleeze ball.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
He would have to open a ridiculous amount of money to do that. Most of the boxes are priced well above what you could actually pull from them these days.

And, I mean, this Stronghold box is probably the best thing ever packaged up and he put the video up. I assume he gives a shit about his reputation and has plenty of cash from patreons / other investments to not be a sleeze ball.

Yeah, most of the hate for Rudy is just hate/jealousy. Dude is pretty damn bright and seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to finances. He used to be a broker. Also, just from watching his videos, he has a well to do restaurant and owns some real estate. I am sure he is "shady" in the fact that he is in it to make money, but I don't think he's fleecing his customers.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
For those that play Commander: Your rules committee member in action

Proudly plays with ABUR dual lands (something new players are basically priced out of, along with other reserve list cards) but dislikes casual Spike->Timmy plays of Sorin -> someone to 10 life.

Fucking comedy clown world stuff.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
What a whiny bitch, heh. No one in my meta even bothers playing that shit. Why? Because your dumb ass will get turbo'd to fuck if you try that by the rest of the damn table. It's not worth it at all.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
That Sorin is a casual level bomb that will get you hated out of the game usually and then you'll probably take him out of your deck or people will stop playing with you if you're not doing cEDH.

If you're doing cEDH, he's a waste of a cantrip or a tutor.

The rules committee is a comical joke, and the saying that anything that kills them in their games gets banned is accurate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
For those that play Commander: Your rules committee member in action

Proudly plays with ABUR dual lands (something new players are basically priced out of, along with other reserve list cards) but dislikes casual Spike->Timmy plays of Sorin -> someone to 10 life.

Fucking comedy clown world stuff.
I think I just got redpilled reading that. Not about politics, but about something something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Those sorts of people want long games they dominate so they have fun the entire time. They don't give a shit if it's not interactive for other players. They are playing commander in the first place because they can't hack it with the regular rules.

That are they are pretentious cunts who want MTG to be a difficult strategy game like Chess, dispite all the degenerate combos.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've never even played Commander. It doesn't appeal to me at all. cEDH would but I don't think anyone plays that way around here. Maybe if Brawl becomes a thing...

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Those sorts of people want long games they dominate so they have fun the entire time. They don't give a shit if it's not interactive for other players. They are playing commander in the first place because they can't hack it with the regular rules.

That are they are pretentious cunts who want MTG to be a difficult strategy game like Chess, dispite all the degenerate combos.
Eh, cEDH is full of degenerate combos, it's pretty much the whole point of that focused offshoot.

Can your deck goldfish a win on turns 1-3 with sufficient interaction in order to prevent another of 3 decks from doing the same? Then when you do it a table you get into responses to abilities and triggers wars and stack abuse. If the decks are all sufficiently interactive the games take a bit of time to actually resolve.

But let's be honest, cEDH without allowing proxy'ing, is vintage magic cost. Usually starting at $6K for a deck and up due to all the reserve list shit in all of them.

The more casual battlecruiser side is for the Timmies who like big dumb stuff. You can build these as plenty interactive but not trying to actively combo out and win asap. I do get annoyed at the people putting combos in these decks as it just signals an arms race and will end up with people feeling shitty at the end of the day if they didn't agree to this (and it typically costs way more $ to start racing like that).

Then you have retards building stax and mass land destruction with no win conditions who deserve to be taken out back and lashed.

Everyone has their own interpretation of the format, hence why people should discuss shit before they sit down and get power level mismatched and end up raging at each other.

The rules committee are a bunch of retards, everyone agrees on that though.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
You mean the majority of cedh deck at the high end max out at $5k (there are outliers like some kess builds that can push to 7k max for example).

But right now cedh is being dominated by Thrasios & Tymna + hulk sadly.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
You mean the majority of cedh deck at the high end max out at $5k (there are outliers like some kess builds that can push to 7k max for example).

But right now cedh is being dominated by Thrasios & Tymna + hulk sadly.
Yeah, it's still a minimum investment of ~$4K to play without proxies.

I'm casually collecting all of the pieces for Shuffle Hulk/Razaketh, 4color Rashmi, and Bloodpod since they share a bit of the same stuff. Proxying the land but trying to get other parts. LED being ~$230+ along with the core mana rocks and some of the tutors being obscene is really disappointing.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Yea I'd say the average would be $4k without proxies, think Yisan is the cheapest high end cedh commander, he is around $2k even.

I have Najeela and Tazri built, but think I'm going to take Tazri apart and build Gitrog/Urza instead unless one of the new commanders really gets me interested.

But wow, didn't know LED was so high, still just have my playset I picked up for legacy back in 2004-2005