MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've never even played Commander. It doesn't appeal to me at all. cEDH would but I don't think anyone plays that way around here. Maybe if Brawl becomes a thing...
Brawl is going to be on Arena so I expect it to get popular.

It could even be a decent format.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That are they are pretentious cunts who want MTG to be a difficult strategy game like Chess, dispite all the degenerate combos.
You might be able to do this with like, some kind of Conspiracy cube format, but it wouldn't be that fun and no one would play it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The foundation of casual CCG play is, has been, and will always be cognitive dissonance.

It fuels an entire industry of knock-off games where folks can hide from optimization via constrained information flow.

EDH actually helps out WOTC a lot by keeping those players buying magic cards instead of moving to some tiny company's shit game.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
But let's be honest, cEDH without allowing proxy'ing, is vintage magic cost. Usually starting at $6K for a deck and up due to all the reserve list shit in all of them.

The more casual battlecruiser side is for the Timmies who like big dumb stuff. You can build these as plenty interactive but not trying to actively combo out and win asap. I do get annoyed at the people putting combos in these decks as it just signals an arms race and will end up with people feeling shitty at the end of the day if they didn't agree to this (and it typically costs way more $ to start racing like that).

Or you can get the best of both and make shitty battlecruiser decks out of beta and legends cards just to make the table read. Cast Eureka and play Living Plane followed by Craterhoof and attack you with 14 beta Chris Rush signed Forests? I win even if I don't.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Or you can get the best of both and make shitty battlecruiser decks out of beta and legends cards just to make the table read. Cast Eureka and play Living Plane followed by Craterhoof and attack you with 14 beta Chris Rush signed Forests? I win even if I don't.

Now you have me brain storming a confusion edh deck.

Ice Cauldron, Illusionary Mask, Camouflage, Raging River, Remove Enchantments, Dead Ringers and others.

• 1Barf

Chris

Potato del Grande
A format with limited actions per turn could be good, then you can play with degenerate shit and it's mostly fine. Would also keep multiplayer games flowing.

Like you only get to put 7 things on the stack per turn or something. Obviously tweak the number.

rad

Lord of Guk
Now you have me brain storming a confusion edh deck.

Ice Cauldron, Illusionary Mask, Camouflage, Raging River, Remove Enchantments, Dead Ringers Illusion of Grandeur, Delusions of Mediocrity and others.

For the finest fuckery, let the Goat lead the charge.

goatwizard.jpg

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Back in my local meta pre 8th edition we used to play "Big Deck" basically was just giant stacks of Singleton's with no bans minus ante cards.

What made the format fun and prevented super expensive cards from being played was when you killed an opponent you could tutor their deck for a card and sign/draw on it.

My buddy had a door to nothingness deck that when he killed you with it he would offer to save you a signature if you signed the door instead thus trapping your soul.

Good times.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Girlfriend gave me shit for buying 3 board games at Gencon good thing she didn't notice the two Scalding Tarns, three Wrenn and Six and Textless lightning bolt.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Girlfriend gave me shit for buying 3 board games at Gencon good thing she didn't notice the two Scalding Tarns, three Wrenn and Six and Textless lightning bolt.
MPR cards always bugged me. They're not really magic cards to me, I do like the old states top 8 full art cards though.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
MPR cards always bugged me. They're not really magic cards to me, I do like the old states top 8 full art cards though.

I use Italian revised bolts since they are cheapest OG blackborders.

The MPR was something I picked up for cheap since it was beat to hell and I had some SC with the booth.

Sterling

El Presidente
I use Italian revised bolts since they are cheapest OG blackborders.

The MPR was something I picked up for cheap since it was beat to hell and I had some SC with the booth.
I had a real nice beta set i traded off just before they ended up being reprinted in M10 lol. I have a set of signed portugese FBB 4th edition ones I use now. I don't really play bolt decks that often though.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
The sad feelings when we saw the price go up after trading the one we pulled in for like $20.

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Heylel

Trakanon Raider

I get off so easy at GenCon it's ridiculous. The only thing my wife said about this was "Can I see em?"

IMG_20190809_174715.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users