MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This will definitely be the most fun time period for the format. Modern was pretty great for a couple of years while people were still cooking the format down to the 100 good cards

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Lol that's the exact amount of time I've been playing.

I loved those Theros white heroic decks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't know why they're even making Pioneer when they already just effectively created Historic for Arena.

Unless they plan on eventually backporting all the cards and having Pioneer on MTG Arena, which I strongly doubt.

PS: Glad I never sold all those Thoughtseizes I bought. That has to be the single most powerful non-delve card in this format, and I'm betting Dig and Treasure Cruise get banned pretty early on.

PPS: I absolutely hate Thoughtseize as a card.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Which will get banned first, Dig Through Time or Emrakul the Promised End? Emrakul seems absolutely insane in this format, pun intended.

Sterling

El Presidente
Which will get banned first, Dig Through Time or Emrakul the Promised End? Emrakul seems absolutely insane in this format, pun intended.
Treasure Cruise and Emrakul probably get banned on the first actual banned list update I would imagine.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
"Does your deck cast spells? Well then maybe you should think about putting 4x Emrakul in it..."

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Y'all are seriously under-estimating how fast this format will be. Casting Emrakul is generally going to be a pipe dream. Atarka red will kill you 100% by turn 5 at the latest, Saheeli can combo you, Jeskai Ascendancy can do the same. I'm sure there's some Kethis nonsense that can as well.

This is a format with Current Year style threats and Current Year style answers, which means we're gonna be in full drag race mode for a long, long time.

This is Atarka Red from Frontier:

Now imagine this gets to play Eidolon and tell me you seriously think any deck aside from maybe some kind of G/B/x Traverse pile is ever hard casting Emrakul.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Unless they plan on eventually backporting all the cards and having Pioneer on MTG Arena, which I strongly doubt

They're already half way there. Back to Kakadesh is already in supposedly, and that's half the sets in Pioneer.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I would expect at any event for a while there are going to be a bunch of people playing with Deathrite Shaman because oh man it's Deathrite Shaman. That would add a ton of incidental graveyard hate to the format when people are trying to get a bunch of different card types in the yard for Emmy or to fuel Dig/Cruise. Even if the card doesn't shake out as good you might get blown out round one by the guy that is playing 85% old Jund because he still has the cards from the original Modern ban.

The first couple rounds of the first Grand Prix are going to be goddamn salt factories.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We're having a Pioneer $1K in town early December apparently

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean, there's trying to win and then there's trying to do the most ridiculous shit you can. There's always little red men if you want to pad your win percent.
Red aggro is certainly going to be a thing. They haven't printed more energy cards thankfully so I just don't see how Marvel can even be fringe playable unless a ton of shit gets banned.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Red aggro is certainly going to be a thing. They haven't printed more energy cards thankfully so I just don't see how Marvel can even be fringe playable unless a ton of shit gets banned.

There's Proliferate but those cards are not very good. I don't think 1U - draw - proliferate or the karn land will be game changers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is Atarka Red from Frontier:

Now imagine this gets to play Eidolon and tell me you seriously think any deck aside from maybe some kind of G/B/x Traverse pile is ever hard casting Emrakul.
That decklist has fetches.