MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wish I still was in the MTGO market when this announcement happened, I could have made an absolute killing buying staples.

This entire announcement seems like a huge bone thrown to MTGO players. All the cheap cards no one wanted, on a client no one cared about, are now suddenly relevant.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That decklist has fetches.

It's a Frontier deck. Frontier is a similar format that was never really that popular. There's some merit to looking at decks from those events and seeing if anything can be exported.

Looking at Pioneer as a micro stakes investment scheme I'd think you could still do some damage by focusing on what is going to be good after Cruise/Dig/Emmy get the bus.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
MTGO prices:

1571807247128.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Updates for the Commander crowd:
-Precons are no longer a one-time Summer deal, they will now accompany the major expansion releases and have characters themed for that expansion, like the Throne of Eldraine Brawl decks did. Looking at 2-4 Precons per expansion.
-In Quarter 3 we'll basically be getting "Signature Spellbook: Green Commander Staples," 8 cards, an extra foil copy of one of the cards, new arts, aimed at reprinting staple green cards, no actual list yet (and probably none for the next 6-8 months).
-In Winter we're going to have a Christmas-time commander product again.
-Commander Draft product, 20 card packs, at least 1 legend per pack guaranteed, and at least one foil per pack guaranteed (so, a couple justifications for increasing price). 70 new commanders in one set, with most being "updated" versions of old Legendary Creatures that suck compared to new creatures. Art for new Baron Sengir and new Jeska-post-Karona (so probably a planeswalker card). This is probably Gavin's ploy to never be pestered about "when is X_Random_Dude getting a new version?!?!" again. It shall fail, because I will demand a card for Lyna. No announced price per pack, so clench yer buttholes.

Also, a decent chunk of Theros cards got spoiled today, including the new Elspeth, which is a bit of a bummer since the set's more than 2 months out and its "face card" is already spoiled.

The new basic lands look like pokemon energy but will be gorgeous in foil no doubt.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
1572471379190.png

Pic of the new basics. I guess I can see the energy comparison, but I think they look damn pretty. The foils should be nuts.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't dislike them but for spectators they might overpower visually the rest of the play field. I'm picturing an overhead camera at an event and it's the lands that look like they're where all the action takes place.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Really too "celestial." I feel the art would be better if it was in the skies above a landscape with it being "powered" by the land instead of just the icon floating in starry space being all spacey...

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Watching Todd Anderson playing mono green devotion in the MTGO Pioneer PTQ. Only undefeated player after swiss 10-0.

Vinen

God is dead
Really too "celestial." I feel the art would be better if it was in the skies above a landscape with it being "powered" by the land instead of just the icon floating in starry space being all spacey...

Agreed. I use my Beta lands in my decks I play. Prefer black border and everything more recent is just... too colorful. The lands from the early sets are just so superior in look.

//I should get my pack fresh Arabian Nights Mountain graded for fun.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I wanted to like the most recent un-set full art lands, but they didn't really grab me. I miss my Urza's lands, but not enough to go buy some more since I gave everything away from back then like a smrty smrt.

Vinen

God is dead
I wanted to like the most recent un-set full art lands, but they didn't really grab me. I miss my Urza's lands, but not enough to go buy some more since I gave everything away from back then like a smrty smrt.

I was considering buying a bunch of foil ones for my foil wallet-flex-deck. Then I decided to just stick with foil lands I had already. Even I couldn't justify the cost of those full art foils.

Sterling

El Presidente
I was considering buying a bunch of foil ones for my foil wallet-flex-deck. Then I decided to just stick with foil lands I had already. Even I couldn't justify the cost of those full art foils.
Just rock Guru lands if you want to go silly. Or if you want to go super silly get Summer Magic basics.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
First Pioneer bans

Leyline of Abundance strikes me as odd.

You eject Leyline of Abundance due to sorta being interested in devotion decks being part of the format. There could be a blue or black one hiding in there and if you punt Nykthos that's all gone as well.

I'm sorta surprised they ejected Oath of Nissa before Once Upon a Time.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
You eject Leyline of Abundance due to sorta being interested in devotion decks being part of the format. There could be a blue or black one hiding in there and if you punt Nykthos that's all gone as well.

I'm sorta surprised they ejected Oath of Nissa before Once Upon a Time.
Pretty sure green devotion will still be a deck.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sure green devotion will still be a deck.

Yeah that's what gets me about it, there are fair ways to play with Leyline of Abundance that don't involve Nykthos, but taking away Leyline from Nykthos only chips at it's strength a little bit. Green devotion is still going to be OP.