MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, my The List rares look like they ate at Taco Bell. Way over brown inked on the back end

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Look at this trash. These are all from Innistrad, opened by my LGS and sold as singles on release day. 0 consistency in the edges/cutting, or even in the thickness/feel of the cardboard.
20210927_013224.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
New SL goes live in 3 days. I understand the Halloween ones, but I do NOT get the first two. I was interested in seeing what they could do with SLs when they started this shit last year, but it's getting rather out there. Different kinds of fantasy appeal to me - that's why I really like the Saturday Morning SL (plus the memberberries) - but shit like the Monster Anatomy I just can't take seriously. TWD and Stranger Things don't bother me since they aren't legal, and are no more real to me than the Grimlok or My Little Pony cards.

All sets are $30/$40, though the Monster Anatomy and the Read the Fine Print come in etched foil instead of regular foil. The dollar value is as usual very mixed. If I was a zombie player I might be interested in the wee Liliana set, but I don't so I'm not. The only other thing even remote interesting is the Monster Movie set, but not enough to buy it. Nor any other set here. To each their own.

Mirrodinsanity:
mirrodin.PNG

Monster Anatomy:
monster.PNG

Thrilling Tales of the Undead:
thrilling.PNG

Read the Fine Print:
new.PNG

Monster Movie:
monster1.PNG

Showcase: Midnight Hunt
midnight1.PNG

midnight2.PNG

stranger1.PNG

stranger2.PNG

Stole this $ info from Reddit so take it as such. I think comparing foil prices makes little sense but /shrug

Monster Movie Marathon 29.99 // 39.99
[[Beast Within]] 0.73 // 17.33
[[Blasphemous Act ]] 2.66 // 2.74
[[Dismember]] 2.78 // 7.68
[[Grafdigger’s Cage]] 2.16 // 3.99
Total: 8.33 // 31.74

Showcase: Midnight Hunt 29.99 // 39.99
[[Moorland Haunt]] .43 // 2.75
[[Vault of the Archangel]] 5.59 // 19.79
[[Nephalia Drownyard]] .65 // 3.84
[[Desolate Lighthouse]] .26 // 1.02
[[Stensia Bloodhall]] .19 // .62
[[Grim Backwoods]] .21 // 1.65
[[Kessig Wolf Run]] 3.07 // 5.08
[[Slayer’s Stronghold]] .19 // 13.57
[[Gavony Township]] 2.48 // 8.53
[[Alchemist’s Refuge]] 4.75 // 4.76
Total: 17.82 // 61.61

Read the Fine Print 29.99 // 39.99 // 39.99 (etched)
[[Demonlord Belzenlok]] 1.72 // 5.71
[[Griselbrand]] 10.65 // 14.30
[[Kothophed, Soul Hoarder]] .26 // .67
[[Liliana’s Contract]] 1.40 // 4.44
[[Razaketh, the Foulblooded]] 25.78 // 71.32
Total: 39.81 // 96.44

Thrilling Tales of the Undead 29.99 // 39.99
[[Gravecrawler]] 21.53 // 21.77
[[Liliana, Death’s Majesty]] 1.95 // 24.83
[[Rise of the Dark Realms]] 14.14 // 61.36
Total: 37.62 // 107.96

Monster Anatomy 101 29.99 // 39.99
[[Fleet Swallower]] 1.11 // 3.48
[[Goblin Trashmaster]] 2.57 // 4.34
[[Ilharg, the Raze-Boar]] 6.14 // 20.11
[[Protean Hulk]] 8.10 // 22.80
[[Gishath, Sun’s Avatar]] 17.45 // 36.11
Total: 35.37 // 86.84

Mirrodinsanity 29.99 // 39.99
[[Ancient Den]] .65 // 16.47
[[Seat of the Synod]] 1.89 // 63.31
[[Vault of Whispers]] .77 // 29.78
[[Great Furnace]] .49 // 69.97
[[Tree of Tales]] .84 // 13.99
Total: 4.64 // 193.52

Total non-foil: 143.59
Total foil: 578.11
Totals do not include the Stranger Things drop

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
"TWD and Stranger Things don't bother me since they aren't legal"

They are legal though, at least in Vintage/Legacy/Commander. Grimlok/Pony are silver-bordered, so you can only play those where you might play the Un- sets. These ones are supposed to get re-printed later as in-universe MTG cards, like the Godzilla cards, but in reverse.

• 1Like

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
In case anyone missed the nugget of stupid buried in the latest B&R announcement, they want to make digital-only versions of printed cards that they can make changes to in MTGA. They are keeping it restricted to digital-only formats for now, but I'm sure eventually they will make a digital-only Standard and fuck with current cards.

OneofOne

"TWD and Stranger Things don't bother me since they aren't legal"

They are legal though, at least in Vintage/Legacy/Commander. Grimlok/Pony are silver-bordered, so you can only play those where you might play the Un- sets. These ones are supposed to get re-printed later as in-universe MTG cards, like the Godzilla cards, but in reverse.

Yeah I know about sliver cards - that's why I made the comparison. I guess I should have said "illegal in any format that matters", but to be fair, I did forget they were legal in Commander. Never seen anyone play with or even try to play with a TWD card though /shrug I'm convinced most are still sealed sitting in closets.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Magic versions of the Stranger Things cards will be in 1 in 8 Capenna set booster packs. Which, with how long it takes them to actually print and ship Secret Lairs, means you can probably get the magic mafioso versions before the Stranger Things versions come out.

• 1Like

OneofOne

I will say, I do think this is my favorite showcase border so far. I'm also rather amused they actually added Dracula and Van Helsing to the set. Did not expect that, seems a bit too on the nose.

cvsc.PNG

OneofOne

dracula.PNG

Looks like the 18 various Dracula cards will be Box Toppers + in the CB, so sounds the same as the Godzilla cards.

As usual, need a guide to know wtf is in a CB.

cv.PNG

Actually really liking the art in this set (mostly). Even going back to Ixalan, vampire cards often had some of the best art, or at least the kind of art I prefer. Even though Innistrad has gotten a lot /cough darker since we were last there, the 3 cards above are good examples of this.

Chris

Potato del Grande
View attachment 379663

Looks like the 18 various Dracula cards will be Box Toppers + in the CB, so sounds the same as the Godzilla cards.

As usual, need a guide to know wtf is in a CB.

View attachment 379666

Actually really liking the art in this set (mostly). Even going back to Ixalan, vampire cards often had some of the best art, or at least the kind of art I prefer. Even though Innistrad has gotten a lot /cough darker since we were last there, the 3 cards above are good examples of this.
They look like a mess.

Dracula is "Planeswalker - Sorin"?

I get why ruleswise but it looks ridiculous.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Why not put the unique cards in a set? The whole fucking thing is in public domain so have at it.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why not put the unique cards in a set? The whole fucking thing is in public domain so have at it.
Normally I'd say that's a dumb idea, but this is a set about a wedding, so the idea of vampire guests visiting from other planes with vampires in them would actually work and be pretty cool.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Normally I'd say that's a dumb idea, but this is a set about a wedding, so the idea of vampire guests visiting from other planes with vampires in them would actually work and be pretty cool.
Oh that's a really nice idea actually. You probably check enough diversity boxes to actually get hired by WotC, ever thought about it?

Have it be because of Jin-gitaxis testing a planar gate and Sorin using it to boost his Innistrad powerbase by bringing in allies from other planes, people have been expecting another Phyrexian Praetor to show up somewhere.

You can have a massive massacre when Sorin crashes the wedding to take out his rivals.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There's only so many ways to travel between planes tho, and the idea of Dracula as a Planeswalker is a bit far fetched even for my Star Wars episode 8 loving ass.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
VOW-132-Toxrill-the-Corrosive-Main.png

Probably a mistake in the current meta, but I've been playing a lot of Esper Control in Historic lately. Weenie decks are my bane lately. This card would be such a good sideboard card to swap in for the top of my curve in those decks, taking out a board wipe from my sideboard to make room. Would be. IF the fucking thing wasn't 5BB.

I guess maybe it would work in a Dimir Control deck in Standard, but this current Standard meta has gotten exhausting. Was having a ton of fun playing Grixis Epiphany for awhile but damn. Was starting to remind me of the good old Nexus of Fate + Teferi, Hero of Dominaria days.

Just started playing again a few weeks after Innistrad released, I have been gone since Ikoria. Managed to hit Platinum in both Constructed and Limited last season tho.

My very next match after hitting Platinum in Ravnica Premier Draft was also game 8. Even tho I was Platinum, my opponent was #334 Mythic, with the well chosen name "pants". I ended up beating him! Not a huge accomplishment but probably my biggest one so far. I was even on the draw ^_^

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
P.s. my Historic Esper Control deck is basically a shell for Thief of Sanity (and Professor Onyx). It doesn't always work, but when it does, damn does it feel good. Seeing your opponent concede at 18 life because you got a swing in with it your Thief of Sanity while your hand is full and you've got plenty of mana open is one of the best ways to win haha. Nothing more annoying than someone beating you with your own cards, and nothing more satisfying than you beating someone with their own cards I have become the sort of player I used to loathe, the overly patient Control deck player who mostly does it because he enjoys reveling in the agony of his opponents. 😅😅