MTG thread

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I love the galaxy lands, and the new shockland arts are pretty neat too. Too bad it's a premium-priced set and I'll never actually buy any.

lands.PNG

• 3Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 3 users

OneofOne

Looks like I may have been mistaken, and it's a normally priced set. Amazon has preorders up for $117 draft box and $222 CBs, because yes, this set has CBs.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Supposedly Moonveil regent breaks the "never print a functionally better than reserve list" "rule"

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Supposedly Moonveil regent breaks the "never print a functionally better than reserve list" "rule"

That has never been a rule. It would have been broken a ton of times before, because there are a ton of 3R flyers that are better than that piece of shit lol.

"Reserved cards will never be printed again in a functionally identical form. A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness."

Also you can't say it's strictly better because cards like:

1638982653395.png

...exist.

if you had a Dragon and a Roc of Kher Ridges in play, and your opponent cast Crux of Fate, one of your creatures would live, whereas if you had a another Dragon and a Moonveil Regent, both would die.

Further,

1638982778755.png

Kills a Moonveil Regent but does not kill a Roc of Kher Ridges!

OneofOne

It was a poor argument from a spastic. And I say that as someone who's had most of his vids on. People who rail against the RL are a special kind of retard anyway. You know what the RL really is?

<-------------------------------------------------------------1---------------------------------------------------------><----------2----------><---3--->

1 = trash
2 = cards that have better modern versions
3 = OP shit that you wouldn't want back anyway

People are the dumbs.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Much like fetches, I'd be happier banning the RL cards than reprinting them. And I own a lot of both types of cards.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been playing this pretty regularly now. Any good resources for noobs to build a deck. I'm still using the starter ones.
I win against other noobs but then they'll pair me up with someone doing all kinds of crazy shit with cards I've never seen.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've been playing this pretty regularly now. Any good resources for noobs to build a deck. I'm still using the starter ones.
I win against other noobs but then they'll pair me up with someone doing all kinds of crazy shit with cards I've never seen.
There's a bunch of good sites out there, but my favorite is MTG Arena Zone

• 1Solidarity

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every time I see this shit it makes me want to vomit. I started playing Magic 5 or 6 months after it came out. I missed being able to actually buy Alpha and Beta packs because they were gone almost immediately, but I did manage to snag some packs of Unlimited and bought a fuckton of Revised.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I was a semi-completionist MTG collector and I wanted to have a playset of every card printed. While that never happened -- at one point in '99 I had a FULL set of Alpha, two sets of Beta, two full sets of Legends, and 4 full sets of Antiquities. Despite my obsession, I disliked the white border of Unlimited/Revised and traded all of them away to build other sets. I had close to 4 full sets of everything else released up until '99, but they really weren't anything to write home about at the time.

I've avoided doing the math to know what my previous collection would be worth today because I know it's in the millions. In early 2000, I sold the entire lot to Troll and Toad for 22k. At the time, I thought I made out like a bandit because I had more than tripled the money I had invested in it.

After selling out in 2000, I got the itch to play again in 2013 and grinded my way back to the Pro-Tour. After going to PT Battle for Zendikar I quit the game for good. However, between 2013 and 2017 while I was grinding WoTC and SCG events, I amassed another fairly respectable collection (though not even a drop in the bucket compared to my previous collection). I still have about ~$50k in Legacy/Modern staples.

I honestly don't know what to do with them. I've considered selling out again, but about half the value of my cards is tied up in cards on the Reserved list (e.g. 40 Revised dual lands and another ~$10k in staples). I'm not confident that WoTC won't do something stupid to devalue them, but I've already been punished once for selling out early. I should probably just hold on to them unless I absolutely need cash.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Del

Vyemm Raider
Every time I see this shit it makes me want to vomit. I started playing Magic 5 or 6 months after it came out. I missed being able to actually buy Alpha and Beta packs because they were gone almost immediately, but I did manage to snag some packs of Unlimited and bought a fuckton of Revised.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I was a semi-completionist MTG collector and I wanted to have a playset of every card printed. While that never happened -- at one point in '99 I had a FULL set of Alpha, two sets of Beta, two full sets of Legends, and 4 full sets of Antiquities. Despite my obsession, I disliked the white border of Unlimited/Revised and traded all of them away to build other sets. I had close to 4 full sets of everything else released up until '99, but they really weren't anything to write home about at the time.

I've avoided doing the math to know what my previous collection would be worth today because I know it's in the millions. In early 2000, I sold the entire lot to Troll and Toad for 22k. At the time, I thought I made out like a bandit because I had more than tripled the money I had invested in it.

After selling out in 2000, I got the itch to play again in 2013 and grinded my way back to the Pro-Tour. After going to PT Battle for Zendikar I quit the game for good. However, between 2013 and 2017 while I was grinding WoTC and SCG events, I amassed another fairly respectable collection (though not even a drop in the bucket compared to my previous collection). I still have about ~$50k in Legacy/Modern staples.

I honestly don't know what to do with them. I've considered selling out again, but about half the value of my cards is tied up in cards on the Reserved list (e.g. 40 Revised dual lands and another ~$10k in staples). I'm not confident that WoTC won't do something stupid to devalue them, but I've already been punished once for selling out early. Maybe I should probably just hold on to them unless I absolutely need cash.
You can give them to me if you want. I love you long time.

• 1Picard

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I wouldn't regret selling out at any time. By all rights this game/company should have killed itself a half dozen times over the last thirty years, and could still do so. They've recently actively fucked up enough to kill off the format that drove the majority of in-store play for the bulk of the game's existence, and are now having to pivot to trying to monetize a wholly casual userbase. If they fuck that transition up like they fucked up standard, that could easily kill the game.
This was the first product in it's genre, so we still don't know what it's maximum lifespan could be, but going by available data on CCGs, assuming 5 years and selling was the more reasonable play than assuming 25.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I mean literally no one knows how long any of this can last. I'd suspect the truly scarce stuff like alpha/beta will probably hold value long after the game "dies" much like old first edition comics etc. Very niche market with pretty low liquidity, but the value is still there.

Magic's bigger than it's ever been though, despite all us old fogeys bemoaning the current era of secret lairs and arena and whatever else. Legacy is basically dead, yet somehow staples maintain their absurd bubble-ish pricetags. People pay hundreds or even thousands for 7th edition foils and other such nonsense. None of it looks rational at all, but really has it ever?

There's no real point in hand-wringing over previous cash outs, or whether a current cash out is a good idea or not. Just impossible to know what things will look like in 18 months, much less 5 years.

I bulk sold ~50k unlimited basic lands back in 2011 or so when they were essentially "worthless". Coulda bought a house in the current market off a pile of fucking basic forests and islands at this point.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
These are the rares it gives me for the Sealed Decathalon event LOOOOOOOOOL.

1639880505977.png

1639880558332.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Legacy is basically dead, yet somehow staples maintain their absurd bubble-ish pricetags.

Whatever demand for legacy cards was lost has been more then made up by the rise of Commander.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have any advice for me on a White or Black deck? Either mono or both colors. Really anything other than Green.
I prefer some kind of creature deck rather than control or milling or any of that for now. Nothing too complicated yet as I'm still getting going.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any advice for me on a White or Black deck? Either mono or both colors. Really anything other than Green.
I prefer some kind of creature deck rather than control or milling or any of that for now. Nothing too complicated yet as I'm still getting going.
In Standard? Paper? Arena?

• 1Solidarity

Rime

<Donor>
Mono-White Lifegain/Aggro is super easy to pilot, has a good win rate, and is not too insanely expensive. It works for Standard, Arena, Historic, etc.

Super cancerous.

• 1Like