MTG thread

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Any of you boomers got any duals you wanna get rid of? My local market is pretty dried up and I ain't about to order them off ebay/TCGplayer given how ubiquitous fakes are and how bad the mail is near me these days.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I hate playing WG in draft, but I couldn't pass this deck up, literally. Only went 6-3 due to mana problems but lol.

1636170278421.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I went 6-2 with a really good WGsplashU deck in Ravnica Draft after grabbing a Trostani Discordant and a Lumbering Battlement, didn't finish it before the event ended tho.

So many of my matches ended with the opponent conceding well before they got towards 0 life. A Lumbering Battlement wearing a Glaive of the Guildpact, with a Trostani Discordant exiled to buff it and ready to come back to the battlefield when it dies (and this getting two more 2/2 lifelinkers from Trostani's ETB), pretty hard for opponents to overcome haha.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Any of you boomers got any duals you wanna get rid of? My local market is pretty dried up and I ain't about to order them off ebay/TCGplayer given how ubiquitous fakes are and how bad the mail is near me these days.
I've probably got some somewhere but I'm too lazy to go searching. It's funny, back then we all assumed strip mine would always be just as valuable as duals. I remember being offered a complete set of duals for 100ish bucks and thinking what a rip off.

My plan is just to sell everything soon, got any tips?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I've probably got some somewhere but I'm too lazy to go searching. It's funny, back then we all assumed strip mine would always be just as valuable as duals. I remember being offered a complete set of duals for 100ish bucks and thinking what a rip off.

My plan is just to sell everything soon, got any tips?

Depends how much time/effort you want to put in to it.

If you want to get max value and time spent isn't a concern you'll want to list things on eBay yourself, or set up and sell via TCGplayer. Both of these options are hard though, as without being an established seller you're relatively vulnerable to getting scammed, and legitimate buyers will be more hesitant to bid on/buy your listings since you're an unknown.

Minimal effort but least amount of return is just walk in to the closest game store and have them give you a cash offer. Almost any store will buy most or all of a collection, especially if it's from the revised or earlier era. Expect to get roughly 60-70% of the market value by this method. Maybe slightly higher if you want for a convention or large MTG tournament to roll through, as booth vendors at those types of events typically offer better cash rates.

Middle ground is Facebook trading groups or marketplaces. You'll find no end of backpack vendors or collectors on there that will likely be willing to buy most or all of it and they generally will beat the offer of most stores by 10-15%. Downside here is it may be harder to find someone willing to take literally all of it - vast majority will likely want to buy the biggest ticket items or otherwise competitively playable cards, but won't be very interested in bulk (unless it's from the like antiquities/legends etc era). I'd fall someplace in this group in that I'm willing to buy most things right now, especially duals or other legacy playable cards, but can't really be arsed to take a 20,000 card collection that is 99% ice age/mirage block chaff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
If you sell on FB, expect to get no end of cheapskates asking for deals or "what's your lowest price on this?" The benefit there is you aren't paying %12-15 to TCGPlayer or Ebay for sellers fees.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Depends how much time/effort you want to put in to it.

If you want to get max value and time spent isn't a concern you'll want to list things on eBay yourself, or set up and sell via TCGplayer. Both of these options are hard though, as without being an established seller you're relatively vulnerable to getting scammed, and legitimate buyers will be more hesitant to bid on/buy your listings since you're an unknown.

Minimal effort but least amount of return is just walk in to the closest game store and have them give you a cash offer. Almost any store will buy most or all of a collection, especially if it's from the revised or earlier era. Expect to get roughly 60-70% of the market value by this method. Maybe slightly higher if you want for a convention or large MTG tournament to roll through, as booth vendors at those types of events typically offer better cash rates.

Middle ground is Facebook trading groups or marketplaces. You'll find no end of backpack vendors or collectors on there that will likely be willing to buy most or all of it and they generally will beat the offer of most stores by 10-15%. Downside here is it may be harder to find someone willing to take literally all of it - vast majority will likely want to buy the biggest ticket items or otherwise competitively playable cards, but won't be very interested in bulk (unless it's from the like antiquities/legends etc era). I'd fall someplace in this group in that I'm willing to buy most things right now, especially duals or other legacy playable cards, but can't really be arsed to take a 20,000 card collection that is 99% ice age/mirage block chaff.
Yeah there is tons of ice age, it was a fun release and all of the smaller releases around it. The last time I got rid of since stuff I literally walked into a store and asked where I could dump it. They pointed to a bin and I just dumped everything in it. They offered money but I want really interested, I knew it was all commons. Hindsight...I should probably checked for a few things.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Minimal effort but least amount of return is just walk in to the closest game store and have them give you a cash offer. Almost any store will buy most or all of a collection, especially if it's from the revised or earlier era. Expect to get roughly 60-70% of the market value by this method.

Anyone with a collection with high value cards would be insane to take such an offer, you'd be giving someone over 600$ to sell a playset of LEDs, for example.

I'm aware people do this, its just retarded.

I could easily part-time employ someone for a few months and still make a profit selling through cardmarket.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Got to clock someone for 26 with the 1/13 at last night's prerelease. I am satisfied with this set.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Looks like the Double Feature card images have been released. Looks like they just turned everything into B&W cards and colored the borders. Wish I could bring myself to care. But when everything is special...

shit2point0.PNG

OneofOne

Doesn't appear so. And those B&W cards are 1 per booster so... you're literally just buying the same MH and CV cards with the same old set symbols. Apparently this will only be available at LGSs. We'll see. I can kinda buy it, considering how cool these could be, but aren't. Why would they waste cool shit on LGS-only releases, when they make more selling via Amazon?

"Innistrad: Double Feature is available in displays of 24 Draft Boosters in English only, and each booster contains the following 15 cards:
  • 4x Innistrad: Midnight Hunt commons
  • 4x Innistrad: Crimson Vow commons
  • 2x Innistrad: Midnight Hunt uncommons
  • 2x Innistrad: Crimson Vow uncommons
  • 1x Innistrad: Midnight Hunt rare or mythic rare
  • 1x Innistrad: Crimson Vow rare or mythic rare
  • 1x Silver screen foil card
Each Draft Booster contains two non-foil double-faced cards, one from Innistrad: Midnight Hunt and one from Innistrad: Crimson Vow.

Which cards from Innistrad: Midnight Hunt and Innistrad: Crimson Vow can you find inside Innistrad: Double Feature boosters? The complete breakdown is below.

What is a silver screen foil card? It's a card with black-and-white artwork printed as a traditional foil using a special silver substrate, then finished with a glossy varnish like the showcase eternal night cards you already know from Innistrad: Midnight Hunt and Innistrad: Crimson Vow."

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This set is hella lazy. Imma just save my money for the other 42 booster pack products they're putting out next year.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OneofOne

Bunch of additional SL's being released soon. It annoys me we can't get something as cool as the vampire lands in normal boosters, but I guess as long as people keep buying this shit. $30 for 5 lands? I'd pay $30 for 30 of each.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've got a full play set of Revised in great condition (and another $30-40k in great Modern/Legacy playables).

I can't provide pictures right now because I'm in Mexico with the wife but I'll be back in the States at the end of the week.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Made some cards based on the monsters of old school Doom. A lot of them have reach solely since nearly every enemy can hit you as long as you're within line of sight in the game
Zombieman.jpg
Shotgun Guy.jpg
Martian Imp.jpg
Heavy Weapon Dude.png
Pinky.jpg

Lost Soul.jpg
Martian Spectre.jpg
Cacodemon.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, half of the new Unglued set is legacy/edh legal. Cards that care about artists, speech, or manual-dexterity are still "silver bordered", but dice rolling stuff is now part of real MTG thanks to AFR. They're all physically black bordered, but the illegal cards have an acorn foil stamp

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
So, half of the new Unglued set is legacy/edh legal. Cards that care about artists, speech, or manual-dexterity are still "silver bordered", but dice rolling stuff is now part of real MTG thanks to AFR. They're all physically black bordered, but the illegal cards have an acorn foil stamp

Its just going to cause a bunch of confusion in edh lol