MTG thread

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Sol Ring downshifted to common? Is the pauper format just INVISIBLE to these people?

edit - going back and cropping art, changing flavor text, excluding certain cards (Earthbind, Weakness, Crusade) bothers me as much as the price tag. Just can't not fuck with everything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Sol Ring downshifted to common? Is the pauper format just INVISIBLE to these people?

edit - going back and cropping art, changing flavor text, excluding certain cards (Earthbind, Weakness, Crusade) bothers me as much as the price tag. Just can't not fuck with everything.

Well it’s not a real card, so it’s not actually at common, but just don’t call them not real cards because that makes you a gatekeeping bigot.

(I have no idea if this blasts pauper or not, but it’s funny as shit if it does and they just “forgot”)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Back in the long, long ago there were non-tournament legal complete sets of I think Alpha. They were a short-lived product in the early days of Magic and they would occasionally get brought up. I'm pretty sure Mark Rosewater has said several times we'd never get that them again. That's what I thought this was. Get your set of Alpha for 1000 dollars.

Oof.
Reserve list always included the stipulation that they could print the cards in non-tournament legal collectors editions, or at least has for approximately 26 years.

They generally had gold borders AND non-legal card backs though.

These are effectively nicely-printed proxies. If other people are already making money selling proxies and counterfeits, WotC might as well also capture that market.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Reserve list always included the stipulation that they could print the cards in non-tournament legal collectors editions, or at least has for approximately 26 years.

Sure but

1664902850274.png

is more what we were told and told that more than once.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit it's $999 for 4 packs?!?!

HAHA, no one is going to buy this.

When I first read the announcement I thought it was $999 for a complete set.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So did every sane person. We grumbled a little bit but weren't terribly surprised it would be that expensive.

Then as the realization hit it was 4 random packs we realized that Wizards has actually finally lost it.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
All the doomsaying people have been going on about since 2005 or so is coming true all at once.

We're full on in baseball card mode now. Can't wait to see what a hilarious shitshow this is in a couple more years.

hard to say what I dislike more, universes beyond or alchemy

• 2WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So did every sane person. We grumbled a little bit but weren't terribly surprised it would be that expensive.

Then as the realization hit it was 4 random packs we realized that Wizards has actually finally lost it.
Well the flip side is that at those prices, it's way less distorting. If they were just handing out a set of Alpha for $999 that'd be very strange. But that they're just selling random packs of proxies for $999, this is likely to be a very low-demand product.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

hard to say what I dislike more, universes beyond or alchemy

I'm really only here until the Lord of the Rings set releases and destroys modern.

The second I need to buy a playset of Frodos for modern I'm just done.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm really only here until the Lord of the Rings set releases and destroys modern.

The second I need to buy a playset of Frodos for modern I'm just done.
Alright then, keep your shekels.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I wonder if Boomers reached a point where they didn't want everything from their youth prostituted back to them any longer.

Probably not.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Well the flip side is that at those prices, it's way less distorting. If they were just handing out a set of Alpha for $999 that'd be very strange. But that they're just selling random packs of proxies for $999, this is likely to be a very low-demand product.

hard to beat this logic if they're just proxies.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
some sick part of me wants to see them do an L5R unfinity or OverPower secret lair or whatever. Just a whole cloth reprint of one of these OTHER non-MTG games. It's stupid, there's a billion licensing issues, polluting the brand, yada yada yada; the idea still makes me giggle.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
  • 1Worf