MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They are catering to all the formats these days. Commander and etc used to just be an after thought. That's part of it.

Yes, they are doing a fine job trying to ruin Commander by milking it for cash.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
They are catering to all the formats these days. Commander and etc used to just be an after thought. That's part of it.
They should just do that in the regular sets.

Like have a legend theme every so often and word cards in a way that works with multiple players... which they actually did... so commander specific sets are just pointless.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>

Like have a legend theme every so often and word cards in a way that works with multiple players... which they actually did... so commander specific sets are just pointless.

it's funny how naive this is

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
How so? Because specific commander sets make more money? Short-medium term yes, but long term people are quitting because they can't keep up with all of this shit.

they already put things that people say "this is for commander" in every standard set, on top of everything else. For years now.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
When has a publically traded company given two shits about the long term?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
"they should do X instead of Y"
"they've done X for years and it doesn't stop them from doing Y"
"that's what I said"...................
I said "they should do X instead of Y, and they have been doing X all along anyway so Y is pointless".

Then you said "ackshually they have been doing X all along" after I asked you to clarify a vague comment about what I said being naive.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
How so? Because specific commander sets make more money? Short-medium term yes, but long term people are quitting because they can't keep up with all of this shit.
The people that want to keep up with every format are but a small and vocal percentage of the player base. Especially when it comes to Commander... Even if I did play Commander, they could release all the Commander shit they want for all I care. It's the sort of format where having more options can only be a good thing, due to rule zero.

Anyway, al it takes is one dude in a Commander playgroup to keep up on new stuff, and he'll let his friends individually know about new stuff they'll be interested in.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I said "they should do X instead of Y, and they have been doing X all along anyway so Y is pointless".

Then you said "ackshually they have been doing X all along" after I asked you to clarify a vague comment about what I said being naive.

it's a terrible idea either way because it would a bunch of stuff into draft and constructed that's useless, they don't bother to test commander products and if they wanted to put it into standard products it would tank the core product they've had this entire time.

Chris

Potato del Grande
it's a terrible idea either way because it would a bunch of stuff into draft and constructed that's useless, they don't bother to test commander products and if they wanted to put it into standard products it would tank the core product they've had this entire time.
I remember when sets had to be full of useless vanilla cards nobody wanted "for draft".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I remember when sets had to be full of useless vanilla cards nobody wanted "for draft".

this setup doesn't invalidate what came before like commander products do, legacy is kinda turned into a wild west of nonsense that rotates constantly because of all the cards that get dumped into it from non standard products, mh2 turned off a lot of people because it was doing what you suggested.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is actually the thing that I feel WotC has done the best job of, removing vanilla chaff from draft and making the uncommon slots into strong archetype enablers with supporting commons. Not every card is going to be constructed playable but >90% of the cards in a set 'do something' in relation to the other cards in the set.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So,

Which one of you purchased the $1000.00 4 pack box of 30th anniversary?

Somebody did....

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
E1E97D31-C01F-46A0-AC78-4C4AA37423FC.jpeg

You know they talk about this thing being made in limited supplies, and yet it can take up to 3 weeks to ship? Yeah this is print to order

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users