MTG thread

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I made it to the semis on the Saturday event and split in the finals on Sunday. The other guy really only wanted the playmat so I ended up with a stack of packs and double promos. Was fine with me.

It's a rough format having to deal with both piles 'o death R/g aggro and the incredibly tenacious control decks while still needing a plan for all the mid-rangey value decks. That's probably a sign of a healthy format but I do have some concerns that control is going to really cement itself.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Yeah control is a little crazy at the moment. Once Theros rotates BU takes a pretty serious hit between downfall and Ashiok but UW doesn't really lose much(which is why I built it tbh). Well built control just doesn't have weak match ups. It's toolbox is just a little too big and I hate to say that because I fucking LOVE control. On the other hand it's not oppressively good. RDW, RG, Abzan fotm are all tight, viable decks. BW Warriors isn't half bad. Mardu is probably "okay". Jeskai I don't see enough of to have an opinion tbh. The only deck that doesn't really exist atm is Temur which is a shame. I really tried to force Temur control when I was building my deck to play Sarkan but couldn't get anywhere and better men than I have already tried. Hope it gets some help in Origins/BFZ.

Altaruk_sl

shitlord
Some good friends of mine started up a TCG site recently. It is a mix of reviews, pack openings, deck techs, online matches, etc. We get together and have MTG tournys (also with a few more people not involved with the site) at least once a month. They will be expanding a bit more hopefully and want to start covering some events... that kind of stuff. Possibly even have a store one day. Check it out if you're so inclined. Just some normal peeps trying to get off the ground with a side project and they can use all the views they can get!

TCGScholar.comThis link is to the MTG portion of the site, but they also do some stuff with Pokemon.

Thanks for checking it out!

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Won Gameday at two different shops on Sat/Sun. Sold both mats and the Thunderbreak promos for $110. I wouldn't even have gone but I am still short a few PWP for two byes next year since I had to take off almost 5 months this season. I'll be at the Open in Dallas to finish things off.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I still hate the "CHAMPION" plastered acrossed the top of these mats. It's so tacky for a playmat you're likely to get by sharking an 8 player event at a shit store.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, game day is really aimed at casuals or FNM regulars at best. It's always goofy when I see a legacy grinder at an Open with a game day playmat. Then again I also hate seeing people put IQ top 8 pins on their mats, so maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm playing "bring your own standard" on Friday. Anyone played this format before? Choose any two blocks and a core set (Invasion onwards for my store).

I choosing Mirrodin/Scars of Mirrodin/M11 for an almost complete Modern Affinity deck. Any ideas on what other modern/legacy decks can operate on two blocks which I should prepare for? One guy has already said he is doing Dredge.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Is it based on what was legal at the time of those sets? If so, it seems like Academy or Necropotence should both be pretty serious.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is it based on what was legal at the time of those sets? If so, it seems like Academy or Necropotence should both be pretty serious.
It's Invasion onwards, so only the last 3 blocks of legacy. Those cards wouldn't be allowed.

Block Banlists are being used, so no Arcbound Ravager and friends.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's Invasion onwards, so only the last 3 blocks of legacy. Those cards wouldn't be allowed.

Block Banlists are being used, so no Arcbound Ravager and friends.
Invasion onwards, so that means whomever made the rules really really wanted to play UG madness.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
How did that deck even work? I look at certain madness cards and they all seem terrible, but I didn't play during that era.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wild Mongrel. Circular Logic. Arrogant Worm. Careful Study. The synergy in the deck is pretty extreme.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
U/G madness was the shit.

Unfortunately for U/G Madness, Psychatog was even more Nutterbutter.

God, I am still so damn sad Modern isn't Masques-Forward. So many fun engines and cards lost in the void between "too weak for Legacy," "too few copies to be the focus of an EDH deck," and "too old for modern."

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
U/G madness was the shit.

Unfortunately for U/G Madness, Psychatog was even more Nutterbutter.

God, I am still so damn sad Modern isn't Masques-Forward. So many fun engines and cards lost in the void between "too weak for Legacy," "too few copies to be the focus of an EDH deck," and "too old for modern."
I liked both of those decks so much I made them, card for card. Took them apart about a year ago, however, after they had sat forever. Shame =/

Still wishing I could put my Upheavals into something...

Chris

Potato del Grande
Invasion onwards, so that means whomever made the rules really really wanted to play UG madness.
Sounds plausible, thanks for the heads up. Given that I know one good player is playing dredge, one guy has mentioned trying to get storm to work, another is possibly UG Madness as you say, I'm considering main decking 4 Nihil Spellbombs to nuke their graveyards.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Aladain started it with his real estate tips that should be in the finance section.