MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The kit is a Deck Box containing 6 packs, a storyline sheet, a d20 and a random foil promo.

I am extremely happy the seeded pack is gone. Now we just need to go back to having a non-sealed-deck-usable, mythic pre-release promo and we'll be back to proper pre-release form.

Sterling

El Presidente
The kit is a Deck Box containing 6 packs, a storyline sheet, a d20 and a random foil promo.

I am extremely happy the seeded pack is gone. Now we just need to go back to having a non-sealed-deck-usable, mythic pre-release promo and we'll be back to proper pre-release form.
Yeah seeded pack was gross. Every Prerelease deck would have 3-4 rares and no filler.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not going tonight. So fucking tired of shop owners offering absolutely laughable prize support (6 packs for an undefeated record) because they know they could give the winner a bag a saw dust and people would still show up. Fuck that shit.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I'm not going tonight. So fucking tired of shop owners offering absolutely laughable prize support (6 packs for an undefeated record) because they know they could give the winner a bag a saw dust and people would still show up. Fuck that shit.
Pretty much I go for fun factor and the store I go to only charges $25 to do it and even if you do shitty you get a pity pack

Sterling

El Presidente
It isn't the stores fault that WotC reduced prize support on prereleases back when they did away with the regional releases. Now stores get 2 packs per player and with how generally at prereleases it's pretty flat prize payout (everyone gets a pack), that leads to this sort of thing. At my store we offer some additional stuff, but that all comes out of pocket and isn't actually related to the prerelease set due to being capped on prize packs.

It used to be pretty awesome back when you'd 4-0 your flight and get half a box and a playmat. Unfortunately those days are done.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
It isn't the stores fault that WotC reduced prize support on prereleases back when they did away with the regional releases. Now stores get 2 packs per player and with how generally at prereleases it's pretty flat prize payout (everyone gets a pack), that leads to this sort of thing. At my store we offer some additional stuff, but that all comes out of pocket and isn't actually related to the prerelease set due to being capped on prize packs.

It used to be pretty awesome back when you'd 4-0 your flight and get half a box and a playmat. Unfortunately those days are done.
Big prerelease were a lot of fun, had good times at shadowmoor prerelease.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
lol its 4 packs here.

Sterling

El Presidente
Big prerelease were a lot of fun, had good times at shadowmoor prerelease.
Big prereleases were pretty awesome no doubt. As a store owner though I do appreciate having our own events. I just wish they gave us a bit more prize support even if we had to pay for it.

Sterling

El Presidente
lol its 4 packs here.
That's awful. At 2 packs per player, if everyone gets a pack. then at 3-1 you get 3 packs, and 4-0 you get 6 or 7 packs that is more than covered by the prize pool. It gets a little weird due to there not being exact multiples of 16 in events, but doing 6 for 4-0, 3 for 3-1 and 1 for 2-2 or worse with draws resulting in 1 extra pack from the bracket below you have a couple of packs to cover the pairdowns and stuff going a little weird. Unless they're doing 1 pack per match win. If they're doing that in theory they'd be short a pack if the 0-4 guy gets a pity pack.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I won around 8 of 13 pre release flights I played in starting in Lorwyn and I always got a box. Miss those days. But still super happy seeded shit is gone.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Going tonight against my better judgement to some store in Tallahassee. Never been. No idea what prize support is. Sold my entire collection to help fund the move down so fuck all use for the cards other than to give them to a kid maybe. Haven't played sealed since I top 8'd a PPTQ back in May. Barely looked at spoilers. Here's hoping none of that matters and I wreck a new shop like usual and nobody gets too salty. I WILL GO ACROSS A TABLE TONIGHT IF YOU ARE A HUGE DICK AT A FUCKING PRE RELEASE. Seriously, four years in Pensacola and I played maybe a dozen times because of people being huge dick bags at casual fucking REL with new players. Literally cheating against little kids who didn't know any better and shrugs from store owners when I reported it.

**Apparently I never clicked post. Soooooo post game post below.

3-0-1 ID in R4 for 7 packs(10/4 W/L so fuck it). R1 Mana screw, mana flood, close games. Opponent who says this is bullshit I'm not happy with my deck I'm just going home fucking piss poor draws etc. Round 2 Mana screw, come back from 1 life v 24 to win. Then opponent gets color screwed while I get mana screwed after a mul to five but stomp his ass as soon as I hit 4 lands(Ran 18...). He's salty as FUCK but I can understand, 1 to 24 and a loss is a bad beat and I exiled the only card he could have played before turn 5 from his hand G2. R3 2/1 flyer+token, 2/1 flyer+token, 2/2 flyer/w drain for the concede. G2 screwed on 3, destroy target permanent so screwed on 2 and a scion, drop my first round haha. G3 close as shit. Bluff a kill spell /w mana stacks when dead on board. He plays another creature and passes to try next turn. 1 Island, 3/4 flyer with landfall, 2/1 flyer in play, time walk in hand, opponent at 14. Draw island, landfall, timewalk swing 7. Draw land swing 7. Literally the only out I had in my deck was bluff to stall the attack and then hit island, land. We laugh and shake hands twice then spend twenty minutes chatting outside. R4 ID talk about our decks.

This is why I don't play outside of my home shop. Bunch of salty motherfuckers crying at a pre-release. Seriously. You had to 2-X just for a pity pack so I gave the five 1-X's that were there one of mine each. Seriously, it's a pre-release.

$25 entry /w free pizza/soda wasn't a bad deal at all considering the pay out. My home shop does the everyone gets pack thing though. About 1/3rd gets 1. About 1/3rd gets 2. Top 1/3rd of the standings gets a decent payout. Just shy of a box between 1st/2nd with between 30 and forty players and none of this end shit early crap. We play till there's a winner. Everybody like "their" way best I guess but I don't like seeing a new player go 0 or 1-X and leaving empty handed at a pre-release. Shit's not for people like us. It's to introduce new or kitchen table players to tournaments. That's why you allow take backsies. That's why you remind people of triggers. That's why you tell someone about an interaction they didn't see after the match. That's why you DON'T piss and moan like a fucking child because you totally top 8'd that GP a year ago and you just had shit draws and a terrible pool and your opponent was lucky. Bitch my curve started at five. I played seven whole cards that were CMC4 or less. Don't even talk to me about your pool. Crazy town rant about my deck because I haven't slept in spoiler.
PS : If you have three of the 2/1 blue flyers that make a token then your curve can start at 5. If you also have two hedrons. And the 4/4 for 5 that taps for two. And a green spell land, even if you play no green spells or converge. Make that shit work. Don't play a bunch of terrible fucking spells and creatures trying to follow a flow chart mana curve when your pool wont support it. Was I black? Yes. Did I play the 7 cost 4/5 vampire? Fuck no. Did I play the 7 cost 7/8? You bet your ass I did because that shit was worth 7 mana the vampire can fuck off with it's 4/5 self and ability I wouldn't have played it for even if I had reliable life gain. Did I splash white? Yep for a 2/2 flyer that drains. But what about the 7 cost angel in your side board FUCK THAT BITCH THATS WHAT. But the 7 cost red removal spel~ CAN GO FUCK ITSELF IT'S TERRIBLE. PPS. I opened 3 of the 7 mana rare cycle and played none of them because they are awful. Know what those 7 mana rares can do? Get grudge fucked by my 7 mana 7/8 Eldrazi.

Last edit. Got bored and opened the two packs I kept. Gideon and Undergrowth Champion. Woots. Guess it won't cost me anything to go give the other shop a try...

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Won our midnight prerelease an hour ago for a box and a half (Payout on Oct 2). Breaker of Armies and Kozilek's Channeler are best Eldrazi. Super durdly format. Red Eldrazi were pretty effective walls to hide behind until you could cast the real eldrazi. Vile Aggregate even scaled decently into the late game. 2 Smite the Monstrous, 2 "Deal damage=lands", 2 "Bolt+Exile," 1 "Gideon whips ya ass for 4," 1 7-cost exile spell worked out pretty well as a removal suite
smile.png
2 folks opened Expeditions in their pools, out of 94 participants.

Now to stare around red-eyed for 2 hours until the next pre-release.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No, the common card with Gideon in the picture that deals 4 damage to an attacking or blocking creature. My rares were pretty much unplayable, just a good chunk of common/uncommon removal and durdly Eldrazi.

Seen some silly ally decks today. Should be a much better deck in draft, where you can get it without just lucking into critical mass.

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
Question about the new mulligan rule.

It states that if a player begins the game with fewer than 7 cards in hand they may scry 1.

If you have leyline of sanctity in hand, you start the game with it in play, are you able to scry 1 then?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Scry Rule is resolved before "If ~ is in your opening hand..." triggers occur. If you put your Leyline into play before Scrying, you've missed your window.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Question about the new mulligan rule.

It states that if a player begins the game with fewer than 7 cards in hand they may scry 1.

If you have leyline of sanctity in hand, you start the game with it in play, are you able to scry 1 then?
Rather than be a dick let me explain it properly. Mulligans are a pre-game procedure. Putting a leyline into play is a game action. The game cannot start until both players have kept their starting hand. The Scry takes place as soon as a player decides to keep their hand as long as they have fewer than seven cards. So the scry can only take place before the game actually begins. Exact terms are probably wrong but it's pretty straight forward. Literally the only situation where the new rule applies is if you mulligan. There are no corner cases or special circumstances that will change that.

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
First Magic game played in over 2 decades, and my pre-release was a total blast. I had so much fun. $30 entry, 4-0 got 12 packs, 2-2 or worse got nothing. I obviously left with nothing, but felt really good about my deck. I could have played tighter and been 3-1, but I failed. That said, with 85 players, 0 expeditions cracked. My rares were all crap, I got 2 copies of my promo card, which was a heavy green with trample...nothing worth writing home about in the first place. Still, it was a VERY positive experience, and I am definitely going to start playing more. Actually have a box of BFZ on order.