MTG thread

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Thinking on buying an Affinity deck on MTGO for Modern play instead of staying with standard. Hurts to spend that on jpegs and not real cards though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Buying into Affinity right now is a decent idea, would have been a better idea 3 weeks ago. Remember, MTGO isn't like paper cards, you can cash out at lower loss margins.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Looking back at all the decks I've played since the beginning, I'd say the one with the most cool factor would be Prosbloom. Tolarian Academy was dumb.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So Travis Woo got his dumb ass suspended from CFB for going off on a jewish conspiracy rant on his Twitch stream. Could possibly lead to a ban. I listened to an archive, and it's a magical, pot-induced rant worth of Lumie.

Sterling

El Presidente
So Travis Woo got his dumb ass suspended from CFB for going off on a jewish conspiracy rant on his Twitch stream. Could possibly lead to a ban. I listened to an archive, and it's a magical, pot-induced rant worth of Lumie.
Smooth.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
He should have listened to the note he wrote on his hand.

In other news, I'm within spitting distance of squeezing a Lotus out of GP Atlanta if I can just cobble together one or two more things.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
He should have listened to the note he wrote on his hand.

In other news, I'm within spitting distance of squeezing a Lotus out of GP Atlanta if I can just cobble together one or two more things.
Congrats man, how much power will you have then? Do I remember 5 you said earlier?

I have a few 'things' on my list of disposable income purchases or whenever I stop wasting money on silly computer hardware and tech and power cards is on there as well.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Congrats man, how much power will you have then? Do I remember 5 you said earlier?

I have a few 'things' on my list of disposable income purchases or whenever I stop wasting money on silly computer hardware and tech and power cards is on there well.
Four, Lotus will be 5. I'm only going for it because the lion's share will be credit from working events, and the rest is credit I'm buying at a discount. I'll have well under half the value in actual sunk cash. It would be exceedingly difficult to lose money on it.

Plus new job reward. I wouldn't be spending anything if I hadn't already paid off a lot of debt with my bonus.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
MTG MAGIC THE GATHERING BETA BLACK LOTUS BGS 10 THE HIGHEST GRADED!

Is this the card you are buying?
biggrin.png

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Sterling

El Presidente
I highly doubt that will sell for 100k. A 9.5 Alpha Lotus, the highest graded Alpha, went for about 50k recently. Alpha is significantly more rare than Beta.

Vaclav

I highly doubt that will sell for 100k. A 9.5 Alpha Lotus, the highest graded Alpha, went for about 50k recently. Alpha is significantly more rare than Beta.
Speaking of grading - always wondered - the rare "crimp" errors that occurred, how did those effect pricing? Forget which card it was (I think it was something decent though, I don't think it was power though - but was ages ago) did have a crimp error where the bottom edge for a good 0.25-0.5 in was clearly caught in the crimper for the packs...

Reminding me that I never figured out if that was a cost increasing or decreasing error... [not that I have the card anymore - but reminded me of the oddity]

Sterling

El Presidente
Well for grading crimped is really bad. However there are a number of people that specifically collect them since they're reasonably rare and an interesting novelty.

Vaclav

Well for grading crimped is really bad. However there are a number of people that specifically collect them since they're reasonably rare and an interesting novelty.
So I'm guessing price is pretty flat then? Due to tiny market but rather rare?

Sterling

El Presidente
So I'm guessing price is pretty flat then? Due to tiny market but rather rare?
I think it varies a lot depending on specific cards involved and era. Crimping was probably more common at one point due to poorer quality control. Highly playable cards probably also receive a higher mark up as well.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Crimped cards are just a novelty, and it's a whole other market. It's like getting into test prints, or to a lesser degree like exotic foreign foils. There comes a point where you're off the map in terms of price guidance.

And no, I'm scrimping and saving all the credit I can for a reasonably not-busted Unlimited Lotus. :p SCG has one on hold for me for GP Atlanta that looked very LP, and was priced "reasonably" for a Lotus. It's a bit higher than an MP one, and the price difference would buy me an entire Time Walk, so I'm going to window a shop a bit.

edit: Snagged a Lotus that is pristine on the front, with a small amount of normal shuffle wear on the back. They had a slightly nicer one with some printer lines on it that i nearly got, but those seemed harder to explain down the road than a little bit of shuffling. Also managed to snag a Time Walk at a discount since it was a large purchase. Felt very nice not having to come out of pocket much at all.