MTG thread

Olle Rade is at least using penny sleeves here unlike those savages at Pro Tour Chicago. This is almost a year earlier as well so there's no excuse for those guys not using protection.
Those are legit Ultra Pro sleeves. You can see the hologram in the corner. You know you need the best protection when you're playing with super valuable cards like Woolly Spider and Urza's Bauble.

I am surprised to see him using those sleeves because I thought in early tournaments in the game's history players weren't allowed to use sleeves because of the glare they could create. Maybe this game predates that rule. I'm pretty sure most of the top level players typically used sleeves, but had to remove them when they played on camera, which was typically only in the finals for big money anyway. It's still enough to make us cringe today, but those Beta Volcanics were only worth about 50 bucks at the time.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There was definitely a very weird period where WotC ruled that if a card was marked without sleeves than it was marked with sleeves. That was a stupid couple of months with jerkasses thinking it was cute to get people to de-sleeve. Once everyone was on board with opaque sleeves and that ruling went away we never looked back.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
What I find particularly funny is that in an age where they have legalized Portal sets, which were originally illegal, and now have multiple sets and styles of cards that don't have Magic backs at all... Collector's edition and world champ decks are still illegal.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
New Tamiyo looks solid.

ub99J8K.jpg

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I like it for modern, especially. 4cmc is Jace territory in legacy, so I dunno if she has a home there. I definitely like it for modern bant, which has struggled without a good draw enabler for creature strategies. This fits the bill.

She's going to be a giant pain in the ass alongside Batterskull.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe in the sideboard of Bant CoCo? They can't really cut maindeck creature count. She's weird enough that I have 0 idea how she will play in the real world.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is an sweet Planeswalker to Doubling Season
biggrin.png

Omniscience AND Ancestral Recall AND Still alive with 1 counter? Yes please.

God I love that derpy deck.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Local shop had some rando minis player find a black/red beta deck in his attic, which he sold to the shop. Rituals, Bolts, Sol Ring, Tutor, Wheel... All beta, nothing worse than MP.

Not sure I can resist snagging at least some of it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If you spend 100$+ buying a beta lightning bolt then I'm gonna call you a crazy person.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Crazy sure, but Beta Bolts arefucking sweet. They're so dark and rich they look like they were printed with vampire blood.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
If you spend 100$+ buying a beta lightning bolt then I'm gonna call you a crazy person.
I wouldn't spend that on a beta Bolt.

I might spend $50 though.
wink.png

Actually I'm mostly after the Sol Ring and Demonic Tutor. Those I'll use in EDH and vintage. Maybe the Wheel of Fortune.

And some beta lands. I want beta lands.

Hnnnnng old school is this October at E Weekend not sure what to play.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Heh, my remaining EDH deck is full beta lands, swag points all over the place. Chumps with their unglued lands are always jelly.

Sterling

El Presidente
6th Edition Basics baby. Get that lemon-juice in their eyes.
We have a guy that uses Starter 1999 lands with specific art. So they're shitty white bordered lands but it still took some legit effort to stockpile that many. People get plenty salty about it, it's pretty funny. Personally I use 1996 Arena lands.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I use lands from the set/plane I'm primarily using. Modern Affinity is Mirrodin Lands if I use a basic.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I usually use a cheap full art, except in decks I've spent money on. I have judge lands for maverick since they're full art foils, but I'm about to start piecing out those foils and just reacquire normal copies. Foils are too damn hard to keep in good condition, and some of the legacy ones are just stupidly overpriced. I'd rather have old stuff.

Didn't buy the Bolts, they cost too much. 3 were signed by Chris Rush though, which will continue to gain value since he passed recently. Settled on blue artifacts for old school, so I bought a bunch of beta islands, sol ring, and some random jank like triskelion, ivory tower, power sinks, fireballs, etc. Just fun old cards. Still have to dig up a Forcefield, Chaos Orb, and Mirror Universe, but then I'm done with the deck. Can just work on slowly black bordering what I can until E Weekend in October.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Craig Berry, the guy who bought out Moat a week or two ago just bought out Lions Eye Diamonds.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yup. Video on reddit of him announcing it so his "friends" can join in. In other words, start a speculative bubble to run the price up even higher. He's pretty unapologetic about it and knows what he's doing. It's all perfectly legal, it's just scummy as shit. I wish I knew what his ebay/tcg/whatever storefront was called so I could ensure I never send him a nickel.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Heylel - I'm like 95% sure I still have my Chaos Orb somewhere. Its Unlimited and MP at best, but it should just be sitting in a box in my closet. If you're interested I can dig it up and take a couple pictures.