MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm good, I don't really do the foil thing. Nothing I play Ancient Tomb in can be fully foiled.

Wombat might want it. I think he goes for em.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Building out a cube, mid/large unpowered. Following a High Fantasy theme.

Trying to include all the spells that 'change' you as a player like Lich or Form of the Dragon, can anyone think of other examples?

I'm including stuff that fits that feel like Pyromancer's Gauntlet and Goggles, every 'book' I can find, etc. Any obvious ones I need to put in? TIA

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gross. The Grand Prix promo for 2017 is Progenitus, a <$10 card already available in multiple printings, including alt art foil, that only ever sees play as a 1-of anywhere (and it doesn't do that often, since Emrakul exists). And it's replacing Stoneforge in December, not January.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea that looks like hot garbage. Even the Emrakul looks like shit considering they used to give out Liliana there.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The art on the new Emrakul is nice, but even that has a first print that's readily available. i literally bought one today from a vendor for 25 bucks.

E Weekend is a goddamn blast. The old school event on Thursday had 86 players and was held in a brewpub. My buddy won the whole event plus the prize for most shitfaced player to complete the full 8 rounds. He barely made call time for vintage today and looked like death warmed over.

I got fantastically crushed early and dropped after 3 losses to play side events. Won a challenge event, and might do the 25k tomorrow. Switching from oath to shops helped a lot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Attaboy! Put E Weekend on your calendar next year. Most fun event of the year if you're a legacy or vintage player.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
SCG just dropped the Legacy Classic at most events, and only 2 Legacy Opens a year...

Maybe its time to sell the lot and just maintain cubes.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm shocked attendance for the format where decks easily spiral in to the thousands range is not great.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Legacy will always be dying a slow death so long as the reserved list is around to ensure the very limited nature of staples to the format aka Duals. Even if the reserved list went away I doubt legacy would make a strong rebound.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Legacy will always be dying a slow death so long as the reserved list is around to ensure the very limited nature of staples to the format aka Duals. Even if the reserved list went away I doubt legacy would make a strong rebound.

It'd take more than just the old duals at this point. Tabernacle is 1000$ still, enemy fetches are creeping up on 100$, force/waste/port are still insane, mox diamond is near 100$, who even fucking knows what lions eye is at this point, etc.

Maybe someday wotc will want the dollars and release an actually amazing eternal masters that fixes a bunch of that, but it feels a ways off yet.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My one regret about going back to the 2 year legality cycle for standard is that it pushes Enemy Fetch Reprints even further back by lengthening the legality of the Battle Lands.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Once SCG changed to clone GPs for their opens and killed sunday legacy they started the ticking clock on legacy. I know SCG isn't the only thing around getting legacy played on a large scale but it was still a nice constant that went away.

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
My one regret about going back to the 2 year legality cycle for standard is that it pushes Enemy Fetch Reprints even further back by lengthening the legality of the Battle Lands.

Yea was just talking about that. We won't see enemy fetches until at least after the battle lands are gone.

My one hope is they are in the next set already because design was working with the faster rotation in mind and the stretching it back out was a knee-jerk that wasn't planned and they wind up coming out anyway. 5 color standard lives!

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No more SCG State Championships, that brings us down to what, 8 State Championship tournaments per state per year?