MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's another instance of depowering removal and answers. Four 1/1 tokens shouldn't be that scary in the midgame. The problem is that creatures are way too efficient and often leave half a card or more of value behind in the form of tokens or stapled on effects, while the only removal that efficiently deals with more than one threat at a time costs 5 or more. It's dumb.

Also why I haven't bothered with standard since Khans was new.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
One question,
how would you bring me back into the game and make me start spending money again?
I'm expecting a sarcastic, meaningless reply full of swearing. Try to think a little bit and surprise me.
Thats an invalid question. You havent defined any parameters. For one, you havent defined who 'you' are. Straight white male that quit becaude they made alesha a trans? Middle aged dude that out grew the game cause he got married/had kids/demanding job? Depending who 'you' are, i dont really care if you play or not.
It also has the implication that you think all of the (you)'s have left the game. They havent. Like i said, the game has stagnated, they didnt lose droves of a certain kind of player. New players have mostly just replaced players quitting, rather then grow the game.
Now, if the question is how do we grow the game, i think mtg arena is the future.
The old model becomes harder and harder to sustain.
Either card prices get super expensive because the player base has expanded drastically, which then puts a rubber band effect on the growth, or the cards are almost worthless from too many copies in circulation.
The reason cards pre-RTR hit huge prices,before getting reprinted in master sets, was limited print runs compared to how big the player base had gotten. This is great for hardcore players, but makes the game less enticing to newer players when they see the price tags. Go too far the other direction, and you lose the established players and stores.

WotC can keep trying to walk the tight rope between these two extremes, while also keeping standard fun and balanced.. but that becomes harder and harder every year without rehashing old ideas.

The new generation of kids is used to digital games and digital content. They have to reinvent the model if they want mtg to get bigger. The hobbyist/board game community is only so big. Mtg already dominates that sector. You've got to change the identity to being more mainstream accessible. If they execute well, thats what mtg arena could be.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
TBH dude, you strike me as the kind of player that most store owners are happy to see disappear. Your 5k lifetime spend is booth fees at a single GP. You're not keeping the lights on for anyone. Players LOVE to complain, and they have a wonderful knack for shitting in their own sandbox.

Maybe you're not that guy, but it's hard to tell from your comments on the last few pages.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
That would be much more useful for streaming than playing. It'd be pretty awesome if viewers could have a little more control over the experience and information available.

Tinger

Golden Squire
TBH dude, you strike me as the kind of player that most store owners are happy to see disappear. Your 5k lifetime spend is booth fees at a single GP. You're not keeping the lights on for anyone. Players LOVE to complain, and they have a wonderful knack for shitting in their own sandbox.

Maybe you're not that guy, but it's hard to tell from your comments on the last few pages.

5k/year, not lifetime, and that was probably on the low end.

I assume when I read about people complaining about magic, that they obviously still have a blast playing and promote the hell out of it, like I used to. No need for me to thump my chest and point out all the charity I've done, I assume everybody does their own part.

Since I do maintenance in the LGS building, I sure hope the owner likes me, he does pay me after all.

Tinger

Golden Squire
That would be much more useful for streaming than playing. It'd be pretty awesome if viewers could have a little more control over the experience and information available.

Magic does have a bit of a TMI problem when people are playing on camera. The standardized camera layout they use at major events helps quite a bit.
Some mechanics that play well in front of the camera would be pretty neat to introduce/reintroduce. Miracles look good on camera.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I partly like legacy because its adults playing it.

I wouldn't want to play a format which has 12 year olds. If i had to i would buy them an extra large energy drink at the end of the match.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Great Design Search 3. Time to try to flee Fantasy Flight Games for greener pastures.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Great Design Search 3. Time to try to flee Fantasy Flight Games for greener pastures.
US Residents only... maybe I should illegally move there before the final if I get through. Far left libs love undomumented dreamers right? I'm just... really white...

Sterling

El Presidente
Not sure if it's really greener pastures though. There's a reason they have fairly heavy turnover. That said, as a retailer I'd always much preferred dealing with WotC than FFG!

• 1Picard

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They pay they are advertising for that "internship" is insane. It's like a 90k/year salary.

Indeed - I believe Reston is relatively high Cost of Living, but I'd gladly take a $30k raise over what I'm making now from my work income. (well, sans bonuses, which I've been doing well with - but I don't plan for bonuses)

Sterling

El Presidente
If they just paid well for programmers for Magic Online, it might not be as shitty as it is!

• 1Picard

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Let's be real here, MTGO has been solely on life support for the past 3-4 years while they figured out how to handle Arena and start developing it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
MTGO is not that bad, you guys are salty as fuck.

• 2Barf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users