MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Like, why not make it a vampire that kills the opponent's creature then puts a 2/1 vampire token into play that is also a copy of the creature type that got destroyed?

Some flavor, somewhere.

Fuck.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
That's more of a zombie mechanic from amonkhet. I get what you are trying to do, have it recruit the creature to their ranks, but they didn't really make that how these vampires work. It'd just kill it and make a vampire token, not copy the attributes of that creature. Seems these vampires leave their old life behind for the most part. I'd say something like 2BB, 2/2, kill a non-vampire creature and create a 1/1 black (and white, maybe) vampire token. If that's too restrictive for them, could be 2BB, 1/2, kill a creature and create a 1/1 vampire token.

In any case, I agree though. I kinda cracked up reading the comments on mythicspoiler for that card. Half the dudes were saying it was bad and unplayable, lol. They were comparing it to sand strangler and saying it was worse then that!

I mostly had a problem with the mechanics of it, not the flavor/lore. I figured a chupacabra fits into this block as well as any. It's gonna be a bit of an oddball almost no matter what. But, just an upgraded nekrataal/shriekmaw seems super strong.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The big issue I have with that card is what it's going to do to the format. Your ripjaw raptors or other big well-statted creatures are going to be basically unplayable because of shit like this.

Creatures that immediately generate value on ETB or with death effects already dominate the format, and this just further pushes it in that direction.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I wasn't proposing the token have any body text from what it replaced. I just wanted it to be a vampire pirate/merfolk/dinosaur for +1/+1 anthem tribal effects, etc.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We had some proxied up RIX cards at EDH night last night. Elenda is a very fun Aristocrats engine. So many vampirelets, so, so many.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Making Magic Spaces Safer

The question is, will Wizards pay, or will they pass the buck down to the locals to pay for (that's not a real question, the answer is obviously $150 Channel Fireball Grand Prix entry fees :D )

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Fucking joke company.

still not as bad as reddit and its mods.

IOdlseQ.png

Chris

Potato del Grande
still not as bad as reddit and its mods.

IOdlseQ.png

I got banned for asking for the evidence on the UnsleevedMedia guy, I love that some of them are defending paedophiles now to spite him - the top voted comments do support this though.

This is a glorious revenge for UnsleevedMedia, he has cost the judge section of the community A LOT of money and hassle for the background checks.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
No he hasn't. Judges won't be paying for any of that. The TO is the one held responsible and it's strictly punitive enforcement if a scandal occurs. WotC isn't going to be verifying background checks or reviewing them. They wouldn't have the infrastructure to collect and verify that kind of data if they tried.

What he's going to end up doing is fucking over players. Judges are contractors and there is no legal entity that governs them, nor any budget. A TO in a small town is going to follow the rules and have background checks done for his employees and a regular store judge. Then, he's going to schedule a PPTQ where the judge has to cancel for some reason, and he's going to need to scramble to find a replacement or cancel his event. At that point, he has a choice: pay out of pocket to expedite a background check if that service is even available in his area, reschedule, or cancel and hope he doesn't get caught. Two of these options cost money, either cash or lost attendance. Which one do you think a small town independent shop owner is most likely to pick?

Judges are just volunteers. They're not WotC, and they have no control over the policy decisions about banning players. Even at major events, they *recommend* players for banning to WotC who owns the DCI# database. It's a big volunteer nerd army that enforces policy which they have no control over, and only the most senior personnel have any influence at all. Chasing down judges by sharing personal info in the hopes of doxxing was just plain shitty.

I'm glad they caught that one guy with a record. He doesn't need to be a TO or judge. Law of averages though, you're going to have sex offenders in any random sample of thousands of people. It was a really dumb idea to pick on independent volunteers because of something WotC did.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Augh, last pre-release I didn’t have an opponent for round three and now this pre-release the admin forgot to put my name on the list so I have to wait through round 1. It’s a free win basically but even so I suck enough that these are really the only wins I get and I’d rather just have a match to play so I can get better at this format.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
No he hasn't. Judges won't be paying for any of that. The TO is the one held responsible and it's strictly punitive enforcement if a scandal occurs. WotC isn't going to be verifying background checks or reviewing them. They wouldn't have the infrastructure to collect and verify that kind of data if they tried.

What he's going to end up doing is fucking over players. Judges are contractors and there is no legal entity that governs them, nor any budget. A TO in a small town is going to follow the rules and have background checks done for his employees and a regular store judge. Then, he's going to schedule a PPTQ where the judge has to cancel for some reason, and he's going to need to scramble to find a replacement or cancel his event. At that point, he has a choice: pay out of pocket to expedite a background check if that service is even available in his area, reschedule, or cancel and hope he doesn't get caught. Two of these options cost money, either cash or lost attendance. Which one do you think a small town independent shop owner is most likely to pick?

Judges are just volunteers. They're not WotC, and they have no control over the policy decisions about banning players. Even at major events, they *recommend* players for banning to WotC who owns the DCI# database. It's a big volunteer nerd army that enforces policy which they have no control over, and only the most senior personnel have any influence at all. Chasing down judges by sharing personal info in the hopes of doxxing was just plain shitty.

I'm glad they caught that one guy with a record. He doesn't need to be a TO or judge. Law of averages though, you're going to have sex offenders in any random sample of thousands of people. It was a really dumb idea to pick on independent volunteers because of something WotC did.

Please stop talking sense. We're supposed to cheer that someone is fucking with the hobby we enjoy.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Won the midnight prerelease. Black Elder Dino is a ridiculous beating in sealed.

Form of the Dinosaur is a super fun card. It's powerful, game shifting, but also has a risky element to it with your inability to say no. Won every game I played it in, but several of them ended with me at 2-3 life praising the sun that the last creature they played wasn't a 5 drop I'd have to bash myself to death on. I had to headbutt that 9/9 Elder Dino while at 10 life in one game. NOT COOL.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Some of the Brazilian Stamp-Flips screw ups would make pretty fun "play as written" cards.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Some of the Brazilian Stamp-Flips screw ups would make pretty fun "play as written" cards.

They are kinda cool I admit (even though it fucks up the whole sheet)

I'm talking about the snake that doesn't have power/toughness on it, the dirty inking, and such

Last edited:

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Well my pulls weren't spectacular. I got Carnage Tyrant and Deathgorge Scavenger for my Ixalan draws and then got absolutely nothing else to synergize with them. Ended up doing black/red pirates with a splash of blue. Went 2-1 thanks to my free win from no opponent and got my first winning record at a pre-release. Felt bad because I completely crushed the guy I played with game 3 in about 10 minutes. My boyfriend ended up pulling 3 Warkite Marauders, his promo, one foil and another regular one, and I played him game two and holy fuck those things are a giant pain in the ass. Overall a good day, though, both got 3 packs for our records (his first winning one as well).

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Banlist day:

Standard:
Attune with Aether and Rogue Refiner banned to kneecap 3+ color energy.
Ramunap Ruins banned to take away free inevitable reach from RDW (Which should be fine, since Hazoret's still there for a ton of reach).
Rampaging Ferocidon banned so that "going wide" and lifegain are functional counters to RDW again.

EDH:
Silver card legality expires.
No other changes.

Ruins ban might let non-Approach control sneak back into the room.

Sterling

El Presidente
I think that just hitting Attune or Refiner would have been enough. Same sort of thing with the Red bans. Just hit the Ferocidon and be done with it. Not sure why either deck needed 2 bannings.