MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What card is that ripping off of HS? It's a new take on all the ooze variants over the years that destroy artifacts/enchantments. This one just destroys equipment on a creature it blocks/is blocked by, but it's a better vanilla test stats as a result.
Btw: there is an english version of the notes now, makes a lot of cards make more sense.

Corrosive Ooze
1G
Creature — Ooze
2/2
Whenever Corrosive Ooze blocks or becomes blocked by an equipped creature, destroy all Equipment attached to that creature at end of combat.

as a sideboard card, sure. It only hoses big mana and combo/storm decks, don't see a maindeck application.

This is some big news. I had only started to pay attention to Artifact based on some Gwent streamers talking about it being the next big game, especially with the direction Gwent has gone. Garfield being involved has amped up the hype now for me.

I'm well aware we've had different iterations of oozes that eat artifacts, and while this isn't an exact match, it's closer to:
200px-Acidic_Swamp_Ooze%2874%29.png

than any of the others I believe.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ended up picking up a box of Dominaria for $69 using the coupon, thanks for the heads-up Ronne.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Heylel find me 4 FBB revised/4th lightning bolts that don't look like they went through the washing machine. You hang out with all those oldschool nerds and stuff, someone has to have some that they replaced with beta.

You're much better off getting betas anyway. They're not that much more than most fbbs unless you want vile italian.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I like the idea of the Sagas. It's kinda like a planeswalker/level up enchantment. It does bug me that all of them end at exactly 3. They do this a lot with new mechanics, to preserve design space one would assume, but then half the time they don't even revisit the mechanic. It just feels like it's artificially handicapped for no reason.

The whole historic and legendary theme is cool. I still think that mox is OP, especially for standard and modern, and we are gonna see decks running 4x of it immediately of there's even a handful of cheap and decent legendaries. You'll play a subpar 2 or 3 drop to turn the mox on and then ramp out some crazy 4+ legend. In modern, there's stuff like Isamaru that can make them basically as good, if not better, then the original moxes.

Mox Amber is dogshit and will never see play anywhere close to modern.

Only way it would of seen play is if it said legendary Permanent.

Its also legendary itself so good luck drawing multiples.

Mox opal is legendary and 100x easier to activate and is only played in hyper aggressive decks and lantern.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I'm well aware we've had different iterations of oozes that eat artifacts, and while this isn't an exact match, it's closer to:
200px-Acidic_Swamp_Ooze%2874%29.png

than any of the others I believe.
uhh no.. Card Search - Search: +destroy, +artifact, +G, +<=4 - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering
or most specifically, Acidic Slime (Commander Anthology) - Gatherer - Magic: The Gathering thats an 'acidic slime' with subtype 'ooze' since before Hearthstone ever came out.

If anything, Hearthstone ripped off magic making that ooze, but they both ripped off D&D where acidic oozes existed and destroyed weapons/armor/items/etc.. That's a classic fantasy trope.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Mox opal is legendary and 100x easier to activate and is only played in hyper aggressive decks and lantern.
In what world is playing 2 artifacts 100x easier then playing a 1 or 2 drop creature? You have to build an artifact heavy deck to even consider activating Mox Opal and they have to be cheap artifacts to get any use out of it for ramp purposes, that immediately makes you a certain kind of deck.
You can throw this into a lot of different decks, as long as they have a couple decent cheap legends available. Baral? Jace, Vryn's Prodigy? Gaddock Teeg? Kari Zev? Kataki? Isamaru? Melira? Sram? Sygg? Thalia? Zurgo? All those are 1 or 2 drop legends that have seen some amount of play in standard, modern or even legacy, and you are willing to play slightly worse legends then those if it means you can ramp up for free.

Chris

Potato del Grande
In what world is playing 2 artifacts 100x easier then playing a 1 or 2 drop creature? You have to build an artifact heavy deck to even consider activating Mox Opal and they have to be cheap artifacts to get any use out of it for ramp purposes, that immediately makes you a certain kind of deck.
You can throw this into a lot of different decks, as long as they have a couple decent cheap legends available. Baral? Jace, Vryn's Prodigy? Gaddock Teeg? Kari Zev? Kataki? Isamaru? Melira? Sram? Sygg? Thalia? Zurgo? All those are 1 or 2 drop legends that have seen some amount of play in standard, modern or even legacy, and you are willing to play slightly worse legends then those if it means you can ramp up for free.
As an Affinity player, in the world where your deck has 10-12 zero cost artifacts and 12 one cost artifacts, with 40+ artifacts in total.

Zero cost legendaries don't exist other than artifacts which don't have coloured mana in their cost and won't active it.
One cost legendaries leaves you with 4 white weenie cards, 3 green cards (2 of which make tokens and one tutors) and 2 red cards. Assuming that Dominaria doesn't have any more, which it probably will. In Affinity you usually play 4 copies of your 0 and 1 drops, you don't want to do that with legendaries because of the legend rule.

Mox Opal almost always activates on Turn 1 if you built around it, you should really mulligan if it doesn't. It never turns off unless you basically lost the game already.

Mox Amber is going to go into many more decks, but it won't be activating until Turn 2 or 3 unless you are playing white weenie. Mox Opal activates Turn 1, this makes Mox Amber significantly worse. Building a good deck around those low cost legends is going to be difficult since you get a real mismash of mechanics. I don't think you'd want to play four copies of Mox Amber either since it could end up being a dead card if you don't draw a legendary or keep it alive.

Mox Amber is a nice nostalgic limited card, probably nothing more than that unless someone can find a legendary packed aggro deck. I guess white aggro wants to play Thalia anyway and could use Kytheon, Hero of Akros and Isumara, Hound of Konda so there's opportunity there.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
You are arguing a different point. Yes, in an affinity deck, Mox Opal will activate on turn 1 more consistently then Amber will in any other deck. But, it ONLY really goes into affinity, which is already a very narrow band of decks and your card quality is lower. You drop your hand on the table and say 'can you deal with this?' and you're mostly done. You activate opal a couple times at best before it's barely needed anymore. It's telling that it requires the entire deck to be built with a heavy artifact theme to take advantage of the card, which is exactly my point in terms of how hard it is to activate it overall. Amber is going to be used to power out bigger and more resilient threats, or to take over a game with more powerful spells over multiple turns. It will be more useful over multiple turns to the decks that can utilize it, and that range is much larger then Opal's.
I will say that I've reconsidered it being a 4x in most of those decks, more likely 2-3x. Unless it's a deck with blue and is running loot effects to discard extra copies. Although, if there's another cheap legendary, besides Baral, that a storm-esque combo deck can take advantage of, that kind of deck won't mind using it as a pseudo simian spirit guide/lotus petal and just saccing the extras.

edit: also, yea, when I looked over a list of cheap legends, white based aggro/hate bears looked like the most obvious home. Can splash green and/or something else in a white base, run isamaru, kytheon, thalia, teeg, maybe even white tails. White has the highest access to cheap legendaries prior to Dominaria coming out. We'll see if that changes things significantly.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Another reason Mox opal was played easy almost every deck that did play it had a way to sacrifice/discard them for an effect.

Not only do you need to play a mishmash of legendary creatures to activate this card. Every copy you draw after it is a wasted draw step. No way to shrapnel blast it or ravager it etc in white weenie.

Card would be good if it said legendary Permanent thiugh the creature thing sucks.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
On the plus side, you'll just always be able to sell the ones you open for $10-15 because of EDH players.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Getting back into magic the most jarring thing areare EDH/Pauper players.

When I stopped playing EDH was an ultra casual thing with almost zero support from wotc.

Now Ill get into discussions with people about magic and I'm half interested until they start talking about all of these god awful cards and I have to ask what formats they play and it's almost always "Oh I play EDH with my friends"

Casuals always existed I guess but atleast they played by same rules as you.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Mox Amber should have been a fixed Chrome Mox that had you exile a legendary card. Then it would have been a great callback to Teferi's Amber Prison.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Hey I'm using the Magic Editor to make some cards for fun, based on Skyim. Here's the first one so far. Any input is appreciated.

Dovahkiin The Dragonborn.png

Made him all colors based on the fact the in-game character can branch out into any class or role you see fit. This is also reflected in the abilities he can gain when a dragon creature dies. The abilities gained are permanent, does it need an errata or does the lack of "until end of turn" convey that?

He was originally a 3/3 and lacked the "destroy target Dragon" effect but for his multicolor cost and mythic rarity, he was a bit underwhelming

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The proper wording would be 'gains your choice of' the rest of it is fine. If it doesn't specify 'until end of turn' then it's permanent. They often will put ' (this last indefinitely)' reminder text on some cards, especially in the oracle text version, but it's not required.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Dovahkiin The Dragonborn.png

Fixed the wording of his abilities gaining attribute, changed the flavor text and made his ability to destroy a dragon upon entering the battlefield optiional, to avoid killing himself or any dragons you may be have on the battlefield

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm going to line my sagas up on the right side of my playmat like a monster.

• 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gama updates. August 10th is commander 2018, and they say they're upping the power level of the reprints in the sets, so hopefully less shitty lands/ramp.

Transformers CCG presentation, but the contents are confidential.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Please just put shocks/fetches in every commander deck and print them in to the dirt.