MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Repudiate+%2F%2F+Replicate+%5BRNA%5D.jpg

Seems pretty OP

Sterling

El Presidente
Nothing about this card is OP. Both abilities are narrow and the replicate is ripe for getting wrecked by an instant speed removal spell. Not saying it's awful, but it's certainly not overpowered.
I get why they're doing this kind of thing, but single game matches removes sideboarding which I feel is a huge part of the game, even in limited.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I get why they're doing this kind of thing, but single game matches removes sideboarding which I feel is a huge part of the game, even in limited.

I'm just getting back into MTG after 20 years off, first Arena and now paper, and yeah I agree that the people who want BO1 are missing a huge part of the game. Too much RNG involved in this game for a BO1 to be enough, and trying to build a deck for BO1 limits possible strategies by a lot, making the game more bland.

Last month, in a patch release announcement, they revealed that 97% of matches on Arena are played BO1. I think they're misjudging the reason for this... BO1 works well for people just looking for a quick bite, or for people who are just getting back into the game now that Digital is an accessible option (MTGO is not accessible). I liked not getting stuck in 30-60 minute long best-of-3 matches when I was first learning the game again, and I think most of the user base was in about the same place as me. But give us some time to get back into the game and we'll start trying more BO3, y'know? It only went Open Beta a few months ago. But no, as you can see in those patch notes, they are now very much trying to steer people towards BO1, changing the names so that BO1 is regular and BO3 is now "Traditional."

And all this wouldn't even be that big of a deal, but then we have this with the new set coming out next week: Best-of-One Standard Is the Future—It’s Already Clear from the Card Design of Ravnica Allegiance

I feel like people in the company that aren't even fans of the game are making sweeping changes based on misreading the reasons that 97% demographic.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I like both, but I think bo1 has some cool upsides too. Like - you have the element of surprise and build a deck to beat the average deck- which encourages more deviation from the top 4-5 styles you see in Bo3.

So - agree Bo3 is the way competitive play was meant to be played, but having shit like off meta zombies is fun and only doable in bo1

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

I believe that he has no desire to do this, no. But I also don't think him or Rosewater etc actually have any kind of final say left in what happens with Hasbro running the show now.

Hasbro is run by video game people, and if Arena keeps making them the sacks of cash it appears to be, you can fucking bet you'll see the most "popular" Arena formats start getting pushed in to paper more and more.

I say "popular", because they are artificially pushing BO1 on Arena via reward structure. All the modes default to BO1, and the reward payouts for BO3 events are trash compared to BO1 and take three times as well. You literally cannot even draft BO3 without paying actual dollars, so no fucking duh BO1 is the mos "popular" draft format as your legion of F2P peasants grind it endlessly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
BO1 is the reason half the meta decks in arena even exist.

Tefari turbo fog and that white red green fork burn deck would not exist/cannot exist in a timed bo3 environment they durdle too much and fold to sideboard cards too easily.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I must say, I'm surprised at the recent changes on arena regarding 5th copy rares/mythics. Specifically, when it comes to drafting the 5th copy, or if you have all the rares/mythics from the set, they are giving you gems for each one. 20 for rares, 40 for mythics. This makes the idea of going 'infinite' almost possible. When its a set I know well, I'm barely using up gems and drafting as much as I want already. Whenever I get up to 5k gold, I hit a quick draft for an extra buffer. Add in a few hundred more gems from 5th copies and I think its basically possible now, if you only do 1-2 drafts per day. You still probably need like a 65% winrate, but you needed like a 75-80% winrate before, which wasn't realistically possible. In reality, you may not go 'infinite' but you'll go 'optimal' and only lose a few gems per draft, stretching your money out and making drafts dirt cheap. Below a $1 seems very likely, and maybe even under 50 cents.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I'm genuinely surprised they actually fixed the issue as well. The economy as a whole now is actually pretty solid, and you can grind as a f2p if you want, but the cost to stay current with a few capable standard decks is probably only about 50-100$ per set, which is quite good.

Of course they do something right finally, but then they go and do retarded shit like errating 10 year old cards with functional nerfs so they play better on arena.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yea I'm genuinely surprised they actually fixed the issue as well. The economy as a whole now is actually pretty solid, and you can grind as a f2p if you want, but the cost to stay current with a few capable standard decks is probably only about 50-100$ per set, which is quite good.

I don't think it's gonna last too long, maybe a year or until m20

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Triple Biogenic Ooze pool this morning, some pretty hilarious games. Two of the oozes were in the same pack, thanks sorter.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Okay orzhov worked really well. Went completely undefeated with those dumb afterlife bitches. Pulled three oligarchs a kayas wrath two of the afterlife 2 3 mana dudes a couple of fliers and an angel of grace. Also pulled godless shrine and 3 orzhov guild gates for some sweet mana. And then two death touch cats which shut down my first two opponents completely.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If anyone that did a Pre-release doesn't play Arena and has an Arena code to give away, that'd be cool.