MTG thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
en_MMup759GWk.png

I started playing Magic during Tempest, at 11 years old. Slivers fascinated me, to the point that my first email address was [email protected]. This card gave me a major nostalgia boner.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They gave him his Temporal Aperture :)
It boggles me why no one remembers that card and why it's not a Commander staple.

I'm pretty sure that deck won the block constructed pro tour that year.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Slivers, the new h00mans.
Countersliver was my favorite deck ever.

Oldschool extended was the best format ever. High-tide, Countersliver, Secret Force, Survival/Living Death, etc. Before Necro/Donate took over the format and then it got too degenerate after that.

Modern Horizons looks to bring a little bit of that format back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gift is a redux of a green card, isn't it? It's so familiar but not...

And Trademage statline w/ a Bazaar of Baghdad activation seems amazing.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Gift is a redux of a green card, isn't it? It's so familiar but not...
You're thinking Beast Within, which makes, well, a beast instead of elephant. There's also a red Juzam Djinn, so I'm sure a few more will pop up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
It'd be great in standard, deal 6 for 3 mana. It's actually castable without the 'free' part. Of the cycle, it's prolly the least likely to be played for free.. well, that and the horrible white one.

edit: but I dont play enough modern to know if that's good enough or not for there.

Sterling

El Presidente
I could imagine a world where you'd pay the alternate cost in the bushwacker decks. Not really my kind of thing, but people do enjoy that kind of shit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It'd be great in standard, deal 6 for 3 mana. It's actually castable without the 'free' part. Of the cycle, it's prolly the least likely to be played for free.. well, that and the horrible white one.

edit: but I dont play enough modern to know if that's good enough or not for there.
Having played a lot of WW in my day, I don't think the white one is horrible at all.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
It took me waaay too long to realize you were just linking two cool new spoilers. I thought you were implying a combo of some kind between them.. -_-

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Seriously, this whole set really feels like Time Spiral part 2. I wish this was a standard legal set, I'm digging the flavor. Time Spiral was one of my favorite blocks of all time, its just a shame they over did it with mechanics (especially in future sight) and that pushed away a lot of casual fans. While the whole block wasn't badly received, it didn't do nearly as well among all customers as other sets. The vets loved it for the references, but newer players found it confusing and/or over complicated.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This set should never have been marketed as a modern set. This is just Time Spiral 2: The Commander Reacharound. Why they pushed this is some big event for modern is beyond me, as almost none of this is actually viable there. Strongest cards that are most likely to make an impact so far are all the reprints and like maybe the 2 mana walker? Where are the cards that modern sorely needs like counterpsell, or containment priest? Why are they printing bad swords and giant changeling lords at mythic in the "modern" set?

Force of Rage is unplayable trash fyi. It exiles at the beginning of your upkeep, not end step like you'd want it to, so it's mostly just Ball-Lightning, which hasn't been good enough in 20 years.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users