MTG thread

Sterling

El Presidente
Also, I miss the old Sealed dailies on MTGO. 3-1 would get you 6 packs so you could just roll into the next one for 2 tickets which hopefully you got more than from your pool. if you 4-0 it was more packs.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I love draft too. Pressures different skills. Sealed leans much more heavily on tempo awareness (due to an overall weaker deck cohesion, tempo mistakes are generally punished much harder) and deckbuilding skill than most formats. Draft is superficially similar, but draft deckbuilding is a significantly different beast, since you have a degree of control over what materials you will be using, which ups the power level of what's going on and requires a very different set of decision trees.

That's why Magic's the best card game, formats for whatever you want out of it.

Sterling

El Presidente
I love draft too. Pressures different skills. Sealed leans much more heavily on tempo awareness (due to an overall weaker deck cohesion, tempo mistakes are generally punished much harder) and deckbuilding skill than most formats. Draft is superficially similar, but draft deckbuilding is a significantly different beast, since you have a degree of control over what materials you will be using, which ups the power level of what's going on and requires a very different set of decision trees.

That's why Magic's the best card game, formats for whatever you want out of it.
bring back team rochester draft!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
2 pre releases, scrubbed out going in blind trying mardu knights,
next time went Green/black value with the clover & adventure stuff
managed to get an oko, 1 rider, buddy of mine got a goose/rider in his pre release pack, saw a bunch of the evo wilds2.0 card

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I generally try to play one prerelease each set just for something different than commander, which is the only format I actually play. I am fucking awful at sealed deck building and I get anxious playing 1v1 for some reason, which usually results in me making heinous amateur mistakes. I pulled a border less Oko in my sealed packs and of the two decks I made, had to splash for him. Twice I was able to cast Oko in a good position and twice I completely forgot I had something on the board that could generate the splash mana I needed. I’m not sure it would have won me those matches, but fuck it could have helped. I don’t mind losing in this type of format, but I get incredibly frustrated when I make multiple mistakes like that in the span of a couple games. Shit like that generally won’t make too big of a difference in EDH but it feels like a goddamn death sentence in a 1v1.

As far as deckbuilding for sealed goes, I follow the bread rule, but in most of the events I’ve done, I either pull no bombs or pull a bomb with nothing to support it, and I don’t think I’ve had an event yet where I pulled a decent amount of removal. What do you look for instead when that happens? This event, my only bomb (other than Oko who never hit the field) was a LockMere serpent out of my whole pull. I tried to build a blue/black mill deck around it with some of the mill/gy centric cards I had and it was an unmitigated disaster and I got trounced round 1 in less than 10 minutes from a red/white aggro deck. I had made a green/white semi food/tokens deck with my leftover shit, the goose being the only good thing in it, and at least that deck did shit, but just had no oomph to it. Second round I played a guy with his daughter piloting a spectacular golari deck. Questing beast, love struck beast, once upon a time, the ramping adventure giant, preserver, and plenty of removal to back it up. Hell of a pull for that guy though he apparently got spanked round one. Wonder wtf deck did that to him.

Vinen

God is dead
2 pre releases, scrubbed out going in blind trying mardu knights,
next time went Green/black value with the clover & adventure stuff
managed to get an oko, 1 rider, buddy of mine got a goose/rider in his pre release pack, saw a bunch of the evo wilds2.0 card

I got Golden Goose promo and Robber of the Rich. Traded away my Golden Goose promo for a Wildborn Preserver promo. Not really a fair trade (favors him) but he was excited about the card and I'm sure I'll get a playset of them when I crack open a case of Eldraine in a month or two. Don't really care about it being a promo.

Robber of the Rich was hillarious during the 2 games where I was able to pop it off early. Stole so many good cards.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I got Golden Goose promo and Robber of the Rich. Traded away my Golden Goose promo for a Wildborn Preserver promo. Not really a fair trade (favors him) but he was excited about the card and I'm sure I'll get a playset of them when I crack open a case of Eldraine in a month or two. Don't really care about it being a promo.

Robber of the Rich was hillarious during the 2 games where I was able to pop it off early. Stole so many good cards.

Unless you are a store why in God's green earth would you open a case of ANY magic set? That's like literally throwing money in the trash.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Unless you are a store why in God's green earth would you open a case of ANY magic set? That's like literally throwing money in the trash.

I came back to MTG about 1 year before Modern Masters was released, and spent over 3k$ on boxes. I got them at € 175 / box.

My only regret is not spending more.

Not all sets are bad, but realistically, 98% is.

On the other hand I don't think I'll ever recover 70% of what I invested in expedition fetches, but at least they look nice.

No idea why they never went up in price, I'm considering that there is a significant amount of fakes in rotation.

Vinen

God is dead

I enjoy it and have the money to do it? I don't disagree its not throwing money in the trash.

I'll probably pay ~80 USD shipped per box.

Sterling

El Presidente
Rudy (Alpha Investments) sells them for 80 USD / box shipped to Patrons.

Here is the real waste of money. My 2 boxes were the first opened on his channel.

Interesting. He sells boxes at cost because he makes money from other revenue streams, that's kind of cool. Nobody really makes money on boxes, mark up is dogshit even if you sell them for 110 or whatever from a retail standpoint.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Here is the real waste of money. My 2 boxes were the first opened on his channel.

That's an interesting choice of packaging. Let's see how many combos we have: standard borders/no borders alternate art/fancy border alternate art times foil/non-foil. 6 different cards to collect. For every rare/mythic.

He's right in those opening videos "it feels like sports cards".

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's an interesting choice of packaging. Let's see how many combos we have: standard borders/no borders alternate art/fancy border alternate art times foil/non-foil. 6 different cards to collect. For every rare/mythic.

He's right in those opening videos "it feels like sports cards".

I actually think they would make good money on a super rare set. The problem is that the sets/cards always seem to go to the people who do not collect but rather just resale them at a premium. Using some sort of random lottery that only allows for one entry with some sort of confirmation that the person is not a computer bot and only in the United States might work. We could get a "Magic Transcendent Collection". Only 100 boxes available each going for $10,000(People would actually pay this). Run key cards that have been reprinted before but in super high quality, alternate art work with actual signatures from the artist. Each box includes one actual hand drawn piece of art work with detailed coloring by the artist. The card is playable and is also signed in a space at the bottom as to not disturb the art work. The card and artist are random and is never duplicated. The one card could even be lands which would instantly make them the most valuable single land in the history of the game. Try to get that collection.

Yep, I could see this happening.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I pretty much just buy a box of each set at the shop to make up for the nights I'm in there not spending money for hours at a time playing EDH or Boardgames. Never expect to get my value out of sealed product, but it's fun to crack.