MTG thread

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wait, that pyromancer isn't supposed to be Chandra then?
No, looks nothing like her. Sums the whole thing up, Chandra has very distinctive red/flame hair, chainmail and steampunk goggles, trailer has generic fantasy pyromancer.

I guess they are going for showing player characters, however compare it to the WoW trailer that did the same:

It had clear Warcraft music, showed Night Elves/Tauren as playable, Infernals as enemies and Orgrimmar/Ashenvale as locations. These are all recognisable from Warcraft 3, you couldn't mix it up with something like Warhammer.

They needed to show things distinctive to MTG. Like Leonin or Merfolk as playable races, Ravnica or Mirrodin as locations, Phyrexians or Eldrazi as enemies. No recognisable locations is the biggest sin given that's the main advantage MTG has as a setting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There is precisely 0 chance this game is anything but hot trash.

WOTC has consistently over-estimated how much "draw" their lore and characters have, and seem to try venturing out in to some kind of crap like this every few years or so, be it comics/books/shows/whatever.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I'd kill for a remake of the 90's era duels of the plainswalkers in some form, I still play that game

over world crawl with some element of deckbuilding would be cool

• 1Solidarity

Vinen

God is dead

WOTC has consistently over-estimated how much "draw" their lore and characters have, and seem to try venturing out in to some kind of crap like this every few years or so, be it comics/books/shows/whatever.

I think your being kinder than you should be.

Chris

Potato del Grande

They have the best concept art/world building and expansion potential for MMOs that exists. Their universe is perfect for it.

Nobody is that invested in it as their storylines suck, you are right about how low the draw is. Anything that uses the IP needs to draw on it's own merits first, like actually being a good MMO.

Sterling

El Presidente
Their lore is good for things like flavor text and promotional blurbs, but it's never held up in books or anything more substantial. The books were almost universally terrible, although I think a lot of that was due to hard deadlines with how they were launched, but that sort of holds true for licensed stories anyways. Most Star Wars books are dogshit too, not to mention how bad say Forgotten Realms shit is.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Little something something in my stocking. That and two foil kalitas that didn't make it for Christmas.

20191226_113459.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Ended up getting some packs and a couple foils for my Animar X deck. Best gift was this nice canvas of Paraselene by Ryan Yee which is one of my favorite pieces of Magic art.

4CE29732-9E28-40EA-8528-F0156F503057.jpeg

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking despise EDH and what it's doing to card design.

j04hh90jd7741.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's not an EDH card. That's a nobody card.

Every scenario is a worst case scenario.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
That card seems broken. horribly Broken in any burn deck to say the least. Yeah I give you my best card, but I get 5 others.. value off the charts.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
And? you Never win fast with black, is about control. Imagine a grixis shell with kill/discard with that on top. on current jund Sacrifice I’ll add 2 to top it off.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
This card only exists so an EDH player can play it Quickened on their opponent's turn after hitting them with a Mindslaver or Emrakul and making them cast a Phage to lose the game.

Then they can tell the story of what happened over and over again for months.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users