MTG thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Other factors include finance bros getting in on Magic as an investment and a handful of formats like Old School and EDH keeping up demand for certain Reserved list cards.

Sterling

El Presidente
143758931_10165188556375604_8252083893231390099_o.jpg
Wonder what this ends at.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kudzu from revised hit five dollars a card on Ebay for awhile.

I laughed because after all these years those packs I bought that had one for three dollars finally paid off.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What is going on with card pricing right now? Is it a temporary thing?

Couple things going on at once really.

WOTC has destroyed confidence in modern cards' ability to retain any value, as they have shown a willingness to print anything and everything not on the reserved list. Literally. All the money is pouring into RL cards and ABU because of this. Hell even Revised, as you noted, is effected by this. Older foils are also going insane. Shit I was buying for $4 a few months ago is selling for $90.

Also WAY too much money created and pumped into the economy due to corporate welfare er I mean stimulus checks and assorted free money, and people are looking for a hedge against inflation. Same reason bitcoin hit $40k. Assets are where it's at, is the conventional wisdom.

And on top of those two things is normal ole' FOMO. People not in either of those 2 groups at the least are watching them snatch everything up, and jumping in before it's too late for them to ever jump in. I need a Legends Sylvan Library - been sitting at $100 for the last year, but I've not picked one up because what was the hurry? Maybe it'll go down. Now it's $300+. Wut du?

Is it all temp? Well, at the rate WOTC is determined to destroy their game, maybe!

Siddar

My view is its a temporary thing on the end because the response to it will overwhelm the market.

To many card are rising from junk status to ten twenty dollar range. That will set of a avalanche of people searching there old cards and putting them up for sale. If it had been only one are two cards going up like normal then that deluge of searching wouldn't happen.

But now why wouldn't you search your old stuff for the several hundred dollars of value increase that happened in the last few days? I mean you probably knew if you had a wheel of fortune but most of these reserve list cards were junk status a week ago and now command the prices of good quality rare now.

That natural response will drown out price increases with new supplies very quickly.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couple things going on at once really.

WOTC has destroyed confidence in modern cards' ability to retain any value, as they have shown a willingness to print anything and everything not on the reserved list. Literally. All the money is pouring into RL cards and ABU because of this. Hell even Revised, as you noted, is effected by this. Older foils are also going insane. Shit I was buying for $4 a few months ago is selling for $90.

Also WAY too much money created and pumped into the economy due to corporate welfare er I mean stimulus checks and assorted free money, and people are looking for a hedge against inflation. Same reason bitcoin hit $40k. Assets are where it's at, is the conventional wisdom.

And on top of those two things is normal ole' FOMO. People not in either of those 2 groups at the least are watching them snatch everything up, and jumping in before it's too late for them to ever jump in. I need a Legends Sylvan Library - been sitting at $100 for the last year, but I've not picked one up because what was the hurry? Maybe it'll go down. Now it's $300+. Wut du?

Is it all temp? Well, at the rate WOTC is determined to destroy their game, maybe!
I appreciate your post.

I also noticed the spike to Legends, Sylvan Library because I have two copies.

I have been ready to sell my entire collection for a long time, but I don't need the money so my laziness trumped my will to sell. However, it's hard to argue with dumping everything now.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My view is its a temporary thing on the end because the response to it will overwhelm the market.

To many card are rising from junk status to ten twenty dollar range. That will set of a avalanche of people searching there old cards and putting them up for sale. If it had been only one are two cards going up like normal then that deluge of searching wouldn't happen.

But now why wouldn't you search your old stuff for the several hundred dollars of value increase that happened in the last few days? I mean you probably knew if you had a wheel of fortune but most of these reserve list cards were junk status a week ago and now command the prices of good quality rare now.

That natural response will drown out price increases with new supplies very quickly.
I have a couple long boxes of random Revised stuff in a closet. It's been years since I've looked at it so I'm not sure what's in it, but I'm probably going to just buy-list the entire lot to Card Kingdom.

Hell, I'm probably going to buy-list a bunch of my stuff and only save the $50+ hot cards to sell locally.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I have a couple long boxes of random Revised stuff in a closet. It's been years since I've looked at it so I'm not sure what's in it, but I'm probably going to just buy-list the entire lot to Card Kingdom.

Hell, I'm probably going to buy-list a bunch of my stuff and only save the $50+ hot cards to sell locally.
Just have to look at revised shivan dragon and see the stupid shit going on with old cards lol

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
When Eladamri Lord of Leaves is 70 dollars, a card that is directly anti-synergy with every possible elf deck since they all love targeting your own shit, you know nonsense is in the building.

• 1Worf

Siddar

Revised is crazy right now wrath of god is fifty dollars right now. For the fourth printing of card that has been reprinted in 20 different products. Not counting foils.

Dual lands are heating up again to with tropical island hitting 1150 today.

A lot of people are it seems are taking their profits on cards and then parking that money in dual lands.

Last edited:

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Its a meme deck hoping for all the dreams, and really can only do something in BO1 (not even close to consistent lol, that click bait video image)

Last edited:
  • 1Like