MTG thread

Chris

Potato del Grande
I know it's silly to get hung up on flavor, but how are dungeons tied back to the idea that a duel is 2 cranky planeswalkers hashing out a disagreement.

are you and your opponent fighting while *IN* the dungeon? that allows your venture critters to attack the opponent while still moving the dungeon forward. But if that's the case, there is a missed opportunity for dungeon rooms to impose some symmetrical statuses similar to enchantments. EDIT: I guess tomb of annihilation fits this bill, but where are the "all players create a 0/1" or "until the start of your next turn, all players have 1 extra mana of your choice in their pool" or something symmetrically positive?

If you and the opponent are NOT *in* the dungeon, then how is your venture critter attacking face while still getting deeper in the dungeon? just teleporting in/out of the dungeon at will? why not just teleport to the treasure chamber or any room you wish then?
Yeah it's just really poorly conceived.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think some of you guys are WAY overthinking this. This was just a way to tie MTG with D&D for easy monies, and allowing the set to be legal to encourage spending. That's it. That's why these exist.

I'm sure they will give us more D&D sets in the future and expand on this dungeon stuff - which they already hinted at - but I can't imagine it's going to be a system used outside of limited, or later, block play, much if at all.

You guys are trying to find some sort of game-benefiting logic, when really it just comes down to "Gimmie all da monies!"

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think some of you guys are WAY overthinking this. This was just a way to tie MTG with D&D for easy monies, and allowing the set to be legal to encourage spending. That's it. That's why these exist.

I'm sure they will give us more D&D sets in the future and expand on this dungeon stuff - which they already hinted at - but I can't imagine it's going to be a system used outside of limited, or later, block play, much if at all.

You guys are trying to find some sort of game-benefiting logic, when really it just comes down to "Gimmie all da monies!"
Oh yeah, it's all a cash grab. We just remember when they took great care to design things properly.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OneofOne

Visions was the beginning of the end.

Right, Fallen Empires and Homelands were pretty awesomely designed after all.

Though, I do maintain FE had some of the best - if not the best - flavor text on cards. Told a really good story.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Fallen Empires had some great ideas, but the lack of rares and the glut of art differences ended up making packs not feel special. If Arabian Nights had the same print volume, it'd likely have felt similar (minute the straight up busted Library of Alexandria).

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Right, Fallen Empires and Homelands were pretty awesomely designed after all.

Though, I do maintain FE had some of the best - if not the best - flavor text on cards. Told a really good story.
You aren't hype for Return to Ulgrotha!?!

Sterling

El Presidente
Fallen Empires had some great ideas, but the lack of rares and the glut of art differences ended up making packs not feel special. If Arabian Nights had the same print volume, it'd likely have felt similar (minute the straight up busted Library of Alexandria).
Early sets all had some wild cards in them because it was early enough that things were harder to balance. Homelands and Fallen Empires were kind of the first sets that didn't have anything that was too silly besides Merchant Scroll and Hymn to Tourach. Legends is kind of the polar opposite set. It has a shitload of busted ridiculous cards and also probably the most unplayable trash cards of any set.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This is the worst magic set since Coldsnap, fite me

0hi96b8tn8871.jpg

0ntf4d3pd8871.png

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Absolutely zero fucks given about those faggots. It's time to actually get a job instead of spending their weeks playing Modo/Arena while high on Adderall and whinging on Twitter about social injustice between matches.

I hope they put their pronouns on their resumes and wonder why 99% of doors get slammed in their collective faces.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

OneofOne

MH2 Draft boxes are down to $215 on Amazon. I'm waiting for the wailing to begin. I'm not going to lie, I love this. I love seeing this super overpriced set drop down down down. Will we hit $200? Hell I'd love to see $180, but I think that's about distributor price, and then the wailing would REALLY begin.

vegetoeeVegetoee

Trakanon Raider
This new set looks like garbage. I don't post here a lot, but damn Wotc what are you doing? If I wanted more Commander cards, I'd buy Commander products.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users