MTG thread

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dude they have a Chun Li card with - wait for it...

Multikicker

Frodo doesnt raise the needle.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Because the lord of the rings nonsense is in mainline magic, IE modern.

I could give a fuck less what ridiculous secret lairs they print for commander fags. I guess it kinda sucks for all 11 people that still play legacy?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
710976FA-2897-4CB8-BB7C-3332468B082A.jpeg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Actual entire new set of lord of the rings cards, similar to the dungeons and dragons thing, but not legal in standard this time for some reason.

• 1Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Can't decide what I hate more, that or hearthstone style online only cards on arena that break the paper/online "we're all playing the same game"

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The cards aren't offensively bad, they just need to rename Historic to something else until they can add Pioneer to MTGA.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't think pioneer is ever happening, they are just gonna hope people forget about it/let it die and continue on with historic for arena.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
why wouldn't pioneer happen, they'll keep adding sets, a pioneer masters money sink is something they'd do, just need a game mode for it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's more with I don't think they have the manpower/talent to backport that many sets in any reasonable timeframe, and what work they do do adding new cards to the platform (outside the required standard) seems 100% focused on historic nonsense.

When was the last time they even mentioned Pioneer as a format?

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So I eventually need to devote a day to playing like 100 matches to be sure, but yeah; there's no way that Arena is completely random.

Worst offenders I've seen are:
* Playing Brawl and facing same enemy commander, if not same opponent twice in a row
*Casting Omen of the Hunt and immediately (after library has been "shuffled") saccing it to Scry 2 only for there to be two forests underneath in back to back games
*Miracle top decks which let opponent win (again in brawl)/miracle top deck that lets me win
*Opponent having every single card they needs to counter my deck while setting their combos up

Worst offenders are always in Brawl. the format should be akin to having a bag full of letters, randomly pulling out one each turn, and trying to make the best words possible. but, inevitably, for one player, the game is more like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...etc

Games that are balanced, where both players get to utilize their decks are so rare, it's still fun even when losing. 9/10 one player, through any combination of land fucked/flood, miracle draws, mirror match or enemy having perfect opening hand, just gets steam rolled

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You can definitely face the same opponent multiple times in a row if you're playing off-peak hours.

Everything else you described is just called "Playing MTG."

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
what deck you use matters if you use meta deck you'll get meta opponent, if you use a weird deck that it doesn't know it seems to match you to a similar deck

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah the matchmaking is definitely not random, its dependent on what decks you are using. They try to match up like power level decks, to varying degrees of success. The rest sounds like RNG.

The only other thing I know that isn’t actually random is BO1 opening hands. They apparently draw 2 opening hands and pick one, weighted towards having the ratio of lands closer to your overall deck ratio.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Brawl is the worst offender, it takes into account your MMR, Commander weight, and decklist weight. On-top of having to deal with the shitty hand smoother.