MTG thread

Chris

Potato del Grande
So I eventually need to devote a day to playing like 100 matches to be sure, but yeah; there's no way that Arena is completely random.

Worst offenders I've seen are:
* Playing Brawl and facing same enemy commander, if not same opponent twice in a row
*Casting Omen of the Hunt and immediately (after library has been "shuffled") saccing it to Scry 2 only for there to be two forests underneath in back to back games
*Miracle top decks which let opponent win (again in brawl)/miracle top deck that lets me win
*Opponent having every single card they needs to counter my deck while setting their combos up

Worst offenders are always in Brawl. the format should be akin to having a bag full of letters, randomly pulling out one each turn, and trying to make the best words possible. but, inevitably, for one player, the game is more like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...etc

Games that are balanced, where both players get to utilize their decks are so rare, it's still fun even when losing. 9/10 one player, through any combination of land fucked/flood, miracle draws, mirror match or enemy having perfect opening hand, just gets steam rolled
F2P multiplayer games purposefully give you bad matchups if you don't spend enough money.

They want you to lose to a chase mythic card so that you think it's imba and buy packs for your own copies.

This is also why it's best of one no sideboarding, they don't want you bringing in cheap answers to mythic bombs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
All that shit is for unranked, playing ranked it doesn't matter what deck you're playing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This deck was fun. Gonna be fun to try to optimize these draft archetypes.

1631893424666.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
When in doubt, draft burn. Went 6-0, then hit two absurd decks to finish 7-2.

1632158739709.png

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's weird playing Warhammer and listening to them complain about how expensive their hobby is and I'm sitting there like "I literally traded one magic card for this entire faction's model range"

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
It's weird playing Warhammer and listening to them complain about how expensive their hobby is and I'm sitting there like "I literally traded one magic card for this entire faction's model range"
You haven't dipped into Forgeworld or any of that stuff. Most hobbies definitely have rabbitholes you can go down and get real spendy.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You are correct, I haven't touched Forgeworld yet, as anything I've wanted from there has been Perma sold out since I got into the game like, December 2019

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You are correct, I haven't touched Forgeworld yet, as anything I've wanted from there has been Perma sold out since I got into the game like, December 2019
I can only assume that 3d printing your own mini's is akin to playing MTG with proxies, but damn do they take the sting out of building an army.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This printing shit is getting ridiculous. When pringles just aren't enough anymore? 2:20 starts showing it well.

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Does anyone still play standard? Tried it for a bit on Mtgarena, but the meta is literally 99.8% agro which is boring as fuck.

What a shitshow.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Arena will always be riddled with cancer because it's free to play. So people grind out the most efficient way possible, the aggro decks. The system actively punishes "wasting" wildcards on experimental or fun decks

• 1Truth!
  • 1Rustled

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not really, in real life or MTGO you can buy the singles you want and then resell them if the experiment doesn't work. That is not an option on Arena. You get wildcards through opening packs, which the F2P mechanics provide via the aforementioned grinding with whatever is cheapest/most-efficient. A lot of streamers have shown just how horrible any attempt to "just buy the deck" is on MTGArena, as actually buying packs to get cards is wildly inefficient.

• 1Truth!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'll admit that I never traded paper magic back when I played, so I don't have a good feel as to the cost of even that. But either way, that's a fair point. I will say even in a game like poe where the cost of trying a new build is just 3-7 hours of leveling through the campaign, that's enough to dissuade people.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
7-2, kind of a weird version of this, but aggro 2-drops turned out to be decent.

1632672175789.png

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
This printing shit is getting ridiculous. When pringles just aren't enough anymore? 2:20 starts showing it well.

They give no fucks about quality anymore. Forgotten realms commander decks a lot of people were getting the discard filler cards.

You also have these.

1632695534778.png
1632695625816.png

• 1WTF
  • 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea card quality is completely fucked. If you're buying anything from current sets you need to basically be okay with those cards being completely worthless in a few years.

I bought like ~40ish commons/uncommons from the latest Innistrad set and you 100% could not play any of these without sleeves. Mismatched corners/edges, coloring all over the place, and even different texture between the cards.

• 1Truth!