ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Reject anime printings, embrace traditional weeb values

20221210_132133.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's the appeal of cards you can't read?
There are some weirdos that like the cards for the language (even if they can't read it), but the selling point for most people is that it's a black-border option where only white-border exists in English.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Japanese full art basics look awesome, because they have 1 text symbol on the entire card.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Goddamn these basics actually look really cool. Which means it’ll probably be a massive pain in the ass or lots of money to actually get enough for a deck, but damn.
2gjakd9lpp5a1.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's the FOURTH different art cycle for basic lands I've seen for this set. Jesus. They do look nice though.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Printing a lot of new art for basic lands is one of the things I don't see a problem with at all. Doesn't affect competitive play at all, not required by any means, but gives them a new revenue source while giving people more options for personalizing their decks. Sure alters already exist but meh.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If the end of this Phyrexia storyline involves Bolas going back in time to be the nameless dragon planeswalker who created Phyrexia I shall be moderately amused.

• 1Worf

OneofOne

Printing a lot of new art for basic lands is one of the things I don't see a problem with at all. Doesn't affect competitive play at all, not required by any means, but gives them a new revenue source while giving people more options for personalizing their decks. Sure alters already exist but meh.

I think I'm just tired of the endless versions of everything in every release. I've counted 5 versions - so far - of the exact same Elesh Norn card in this set. 10, if they come in both foil and non. It gets a bit much.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amused that they pushed the set back, but that means it's like 2 months between Phyrexia All Will Be One release and March of the Machines release

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think I'm just tired of the endless versions of everything in every release. I've counted 5 versions - so far - of the exact same Elesh Norn card in this set. 10, if they come in both foil and non. It gets a bit much.
I know this is obvious, and I don't mean it as talking down -- sometimes you need to hear the obvious shit come from someone else's mouth -- but you don't need to keep up with it all if you don't want to. All the alternate art cards do the exact same thing mechanically. IMO it's kinda cool that someday I might be playing FNM and see some crazy art card that I've never seen before (and have it NOT just be an alter y'know?)

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I know this is obvious, and I don't mean it as talking down -- sometimes you need to hear the obvious shit come from someone else's mouth -- but you don't need to keep up with it all if you don't want to. All the alternate art cards do the exact same thing mechanically. IMO it's kinda cool that someday I might be playing FNM and see some crazy art card that I've never seen before (and have it NOT just be an alter y'know?)
This ignores the fact that many people enjoy magic as a collectible. Not only does it make collecting the cards more of a burden, it also makes any given version of the card feel worth less while probably costing more to have the “collection”.

• 1Like

OneofOne

I'm not offended. But we also have completely different tastes/interests, and that's fine.

I don't care, for instance, if I never own a single Elesh Norn in any of however many versions exist. I don't even have issues with alt art. Initially I thought showcase cards could be cool. I recently mentioned I picked up a few of the new Glissa's from a recent Secret Lair because I really like the art.

The game is just feeling so... merchandised? Whored? And it seems to be accelerating. There's just sooooo much product both in terms of number of releases and types. Not only do you have booster/set/collector/jumpstart/commander decks of most releases, the amount of variations within a set is pretty high. Never mind we're now up to an even 150 Secret Lairs, I believe.

Some people look at that and go, "That's awesome, something for everyone". But all I see is some greedy fucks trying to milk this IP for every drop they can get. Yes of course, it's always been about money - the end goal of every for-profit business is. But now it feels shoved in your face to the extreme.

I don't know a good way to say other than "it takes you out of the game", much in the same way as watching a great movie and then seeing a random boom hanging in the scene.

• 1Like