MTG thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Well uh... that is definitely a Mist take.
csi miami GIF

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It beats 4 packs of non-playable token cards for $1,000.00.

Also having a guaranteed foil and showcase with the chance for 3 rares in one pack is not to bad either. That is unless regular packs have changed since I last played and they now also have 1-3 rares with a foil in each pack.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They're basically Collector Boosters for a micro set with no commons.

IDK.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Two kids of people complain about MTG:

1) People who really don't play MTG and haven't for decades.
2) People who play way too much MTG.

If you're not at either end of the spectrum there, the game looks pretty decent, about as good as it always has been, which is to say not perfect but still run better than any other game that's been out even half as long. Comparing Wizards of the Coast to Blizzard and WOTC looks like immortal geniuses.
Facts.

• 1Dislike

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
"Laughs in Magic30"

It's exactly like modern video games. They're not designing their sets for the average player, they're designing their sets to milk the whales that will splurge massive amounts to collect everything. Each variant, each set, each secret lair thing is to hook 'dem whale. So what if card design suffers and you have to ban a septillion cards? Who cares, as long as the whale pod keeps circling over the Ebay and Amazon store (which gives them more money, who cares about the LGS).
They're going for both ends of the spectrum. The existence of all the extra stuff milking collectors doesn't negate all the Transformers and Godzilla and etc schtick they're obviously doing to bring in new casual players.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amazon presale page up for the March of the Machines "epilogue" set. 120 card set, rares and uncommons only, five card packs (1-3 rares, 2-4 uncommons), 24 pack boxes for $120.

This is a weird fucking product

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If there are no commons, doesn't that make the uncommons....common? Is this a very limited print run?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Two kinds of people complain about MTG:

1) People who really don't play MTG and haven't for decades.
2) People who play way too much MTG.

If you're not at either end of the spectrum there, the game looks pretty decent, about as good as it always has been, which is to say not perfect but still run better than any other game that's been out even half as long. Comparing Wizards of the Coast to Blizzard and WOTC looks like immortal geniuses.
Your sunk cost fallacy has you reaching for excuses.

I don't play MTG because every time I get excited about the game, they release a lackluster set with overpowered bombs for people to chase and I lose interest.

It's pretty consistently Dominara and new planes which are complete ass, I did enjoy Kamigawa 2 though. Mirrodin is my favorite plane so let's see if they can get me back for that...

But yeah, if you are buying 2 premades and a few boosters to play around the kitchen table, the game looks decent. But it's always been that way for those people and less and less new people are joining the game to keep that alive.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's why you have to do Satan's work and start middle school magic clubs, just tell the parents it prevents the sex and drugs because nerdy and broke

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
That's why you have to do Satan's work and start middle school magic clubs, just tell the parents it prevents the sex and drugs because nerdy and broke
I'm literally in a position to do this and set up a Chess Club instead.

My school is all about clubs and literally nobody is talking about MTG. We have D&D, retro gaming, board games and anime though.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
In the last three years the shop I used to go to for fnm has gone from 30 people I knew to 40 new people, which I guess anecdotally supports some churn? They're all EDH players now instead of a mix of modern/standard/edh. The number of women and trans autists has tripled.

The competitive event store with a bunch of old players has suffered a bit in the same period, down to 50-60 player events from 100+, the casuals edh crowd avoids the store due to the competitive stigma and a few aspies who couldn't understand they were punching down when they brought optimized decks to the store's attempts at casual nights.

But my city is full of bored fat Midwesterners with good income and low cost of living, so we're basically perfect strike zone for tabletop stuff to be successful in spite of itself. Still hovering between 16-20 game shops in town depending on which stoner game store owner remembers to open shop that week.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Your sunk cost fallacy has you reaching for excuses.
lol what. I've made so much more money off of Magic than I've ever spent on it. And I have almost no paper cards left of value, so what sunk cost?