MTG thread

I think Magic 2014 is pretty decent, yes you can't make your own decks, but if you grab all the promo codes, you can customize each with 40 new cards, so after you throw out all the trash you have some space for creativity and the sealed play option is also rather nice.
Still prefer infinity wars by alot so far, you can unlock all sorts of stuff by PVPing. Mainly why im liking it better so far, easy to trade cards between players, which i dont think you can even do with MTG2014, incentives to go multi. Feels like MTG2014 is just an ad for MTGOnline. Feedback on forums was that it was hard finding multiplayer games for 2014. Can you unlock all the stuff from playing multi? Because computer gets boring after a while.

I suck at sealed deck, lost to a guy who chose to go second and didn't use sleeves. This is a day after going 4-0 at FNM.
Choosing to be on the draw is not always a bad thing especially in a slower format like Theros limited. Every turn you have one more card than your opponent which gives you one more chance to draw that land or draw that answer that you were looking for. I won't comment on your particular opponent's skill level, but I consider myself to be an above average limited player and choose to be on the play almost every time I win the die roll. Game 2 may be a different story when I notice that my opponent is playing a particularly aggressive deck and I need to win the tempo advantage.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Choosing to be on the draw is not always a bad thing especially in a slower format like Theros limited.
Yup - doesn't matter much inths-ths-ths. Will prolly continue to be able 50%

rrr_img_58931.jpg

Yup - doesn't matter much inths-ths-ths. Will prolly continue to be able 50%
Sorry, I don't mean to backpeddle, but I should have said that was the strategy for Theros sealed and not just Theros limited. Draft is a completely different beast and decks are usually more cohesive, have more copies of the same spells and are less bomb reliant. It is definitely easier to play a more reliable aggressive deck that would prefer to be on the play in draft than in sealed.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys, I've got a couple of questions. Was playing last night and a couple of things happened and we couldn't agree on the way these rules should have been played.

First, I had an 8/8 lifelink card and attacked someone who had a 1/1 defender. They said I would only gain 1 life because the toughness of the defending creature was only 1, so that was the only damage that I did. Is that how this works?

Second question: Do you have to fulfill every requirement on cards? For instance, I tried to play Cruel Ultimatum on someone who only had two cards in his hand. He said I couldn't play it against him, because the text of the cards reads: Target player sacrifices a creature, discards three cards, and loses 5 life. Since he didn't have three cards to discard, he said he wasn't a valid target for the spell.

I don't think it matters, but just in case, we're playing EDH.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
1. No, you gain 8. The creature will do it's full power in damage unless something like protection stops it. If it had trample, it could only *assign* one damage to the creature and the rest would carry over to you (and you'd still gain 8).

2. It doesn't matter. The card will do as much as it can possibly do. He'll have to discard as much as possible. Cruel Ultimatum is a very straightforward card like that, but certain others, like Cryptic Command, are much more complex. For instance, if you choose two modes of "counter target spell" and "draw a card", and then your opponent Remands the spell, then Cryptic will no longer have a valid target and become countered. It won't resolve, so you won't draw a card. However, if you chose "counter target spell" and "return target permanent to its owners hand", and your opponent still Remands, then that portion of the spell will become invalid. However, since Cryptic still has a valid target, it will try to do as much as possible and the permanent will still bounce. It seems weird, but the thing to remember is that a spell with no valid targets becomes countered. The draw effect is not targeted, so if it loses its only one it won't happen.

In both the cases you mention, it sounds like someone trying to be sketchy about the rules. It would take a very skewed reading for a player to misinterpret them like that.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Did five pre-releases this weekend and went: 1-3, 4-0, 1-3 (2HG), 3-1, 2-2. Was pretty fun, I even got to hard-mode it with the 4-0 when I was paired up against one of the top ranked Magic players in the world. I won the match but got a bit lucky with good draws as they were clearly a better player than me. I was very glad that I didn't have to play Brian Wong (from that podcast I linked earlier) in the finals his deck was kind of crazy and he pulled off some interesting plays that I don't think I would have thought of.

I am trying to figure out how to tweak my standard Gruul deck. Here's my current list with notes:Gruul (Splash White) ( MTG Deck)If I could get feedback it'd be appreciated.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I have been fooling around a lot with decks since BNG.

What do you guys think about this stalling piece of shit?

The idea is to stall things long enough to bestow Chromanticore on to a Monstrous Fleecemane Lion lol

Preventing combat damage would also allow Brimaz to get his token cats.

Chromo ( MTG Deck)

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Where would be a good place to start looking to offload a bunch of cards I've got sitting around not doing much? I've got a few unlimited cards, a single Mox, a bunch of dual lands, a complete set of 3rd Ed. and Ice Age. plus a few thousand cards in between, nothing too over the top.

also have some Jyhad (Vampire: The Masquerade) cards as well.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've never been fucked on eBay (cross my heart) but don't ship anything out of the country.

The Jyhad stuff doesn't really have any value. I would have thrown all my stuff out rather than list it but I figured that I'd rather someone play with them than have them end up in a land fill.

Chris

Potato del Grande

The idea is to stall things long enough to bestow Chromanticore on to a Monstrous Fleecemane Lion lol

Chromo ( MTG Deck)
Casual only, you may as well just stall to resolve an aetherling.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Depends what you're after. Craigslist works, or you can buylist things to a shop.
I guess I'm looking to off-load the entire lot, is there any shop you can recommend that would be keen on buying up everything? I also live in Australia, so shipping out of the country is pretty much the only real option if I want to get rid of these cards... and there's about 10 kilos of the shit.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
thats a hard one, if i had a influx of cash I'd do it, but due to shipping to any large store i can think of, you'd be eating tons in shipping from your initial profits you could get from them, Magic Online Trading Leauge deal with lots of people, im sure if you tried there you might score, otherwise that much, a store would call Bulk and prolly give you bulk prices on your lot.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, you need to find an Aussie shop and sell there. You'll eat all the value up in shipping otherwise. There is almost certainly going to be at least one decently sized shop somewhere on your venomous animal infested continent.
smile.png

Xalara

Golden Squire
In terms of the expensive cards I can likely hook you up with a store in Seattle that would buy them. Then you can sell the rest bulk in Australia.

businesscats_sl

shitlord

Chromo ( MTG Deck)
Someone placed top 8, I think it was, at a GP recently with a maze's end deck. So it's not too bad of an idea.

Chromanticore related, this is what I'm trying out tomorrow at FNMMagic TCG Deck - bantxcore by haaat

Xalara

Golden Squire
The Maze's End deck you are talking about didn't make top eight, but it did make day two at GP Vancouver.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Fuckin Noble Hierarchs. Jesus.
Yeah. I fucked up and sold 3 of my hierarchs like a week before the deathrite ban was announced. Deathrite was one of my favorite cards, and I didn't really think they would ban it.

Managed to pick them back up after and only lose 20 bucks on the deal, but gah, major lesson learned. Just because *I* really like a card and would never ban it, doesn't mean WotC will act the same :p