MTG thread

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
If fetches reach those prices, I am flipping every goddamn one of them into legacy staples like real dual lands. There are a fraction of the number of ABUR duals out there as any of the fetch lands, and they're never coming back. Hell, Tarns and Mistys already sell for more than about half of the duals do. That's just nuts.
Yeah, I've seen a decent amount of that already happening. I have 2-3 of all the duals already, but am nervous about stockpiling tons because it feels more risky (imo) than many people credit. Duals were not expensive before SCG started the legacy opens, and if they replace the legacy opens with modern, it is very possible that duals could drop back down to like 40-100 instead of the current 80-250. I know I personally would abandon legacy except maybe keeping a pet deck (BUG pod in my case) if SCG dropped it. Lots of people say SCG won't ever drop legacy, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Heck, they broke 20k viewers on their stream this weekend for the modern GP... there is obviously a lot of interest in modern.

It also feels like there are other things to trade for that will appreciate much faster (as % ROI) than duals even if duals don't drop. Most recently I picked up 30 spellskites at $9 to $11 and 20 birthing pods at $5 to 8$ and those are going to appreciate way faster than dual lands. Heck, spellskites are already up 50-75% and Card Kingdom is buylisting pods at $18.20. Obviously not going to get rich with that, but I feel like there are always 2-3 obvious cards like that which are going to notice significant appreciation and can help keep the hobby affordable if you buy/trade for a bunch while they are cheap.

I guess you were probably just making a point about how absurd the fetchland prices are, but soooo often I see people treating dual lands as the gold standard of guaranteed value in MTG and I don't think it is anywhere near as solid as many believe.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
They'll never, ever drop. Even if SCG stops doing legacy opens, it has a strong following of dedicated collector-players. Consider the price of vintage staples like Mishra's Workshop, and then how often you see any Vintage events. At all.

There are other excellent pick ups as well, but imo the risk of Modern cards is greater because reprints could happen at any time. Some are less likely, sure, but duals are pretty solid. So are other enablers, like LEDs, City of Traitors, Rishadan Ports etc.

Also consider that SCG is a secondary retailer. They have a vested interest in keeping Legacy cards moving in and out of their inventory.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why is Voice of Resurgeance still so expensive? :/
Because very few boxes of DGM were ever opened. It got overshadowed by the release of MM, and didn't get drafted a lot, and when it did get drafted, it was one out of 3 packs.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Going to be participating in SCG Seattle this weekend. I have been playing a lot of jund monsters so I think I'm going to stick with it since I know the deck well. However I am expected a bit more of the metagame to shift to aggressive/burn strategies given their recent success. This is the deck list I currently have:http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jund-...rs-13-03-14-2/Primarily I'm thinking of swapping both Rakdos's Returns with both Abrupt Decays. Abrupt Decay is solid against a lot of matchups, but Rakdos's Return is a house in the mirror and against control decks. Any thoughts?

rad

Lord of Guk
Going to be participating in SCG Seattle this weekend. I have been playing a lot of jund monsters so I think I'm going to stick with it since I know the deck well. However I am expected a bit more of the metagame to shift to aggressive/burn strategies given their recent success. This is the deck list I currently have:http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jund-...rs-13-03-14-2/Primarily I'm thinking of swapping both Rakdos's Returns with both Abrupt Decays. Abrupt Decay is solid against a lot of matchups, but Rakdos's Return is a house in the mirror and against control decks. Any thoughts?
Return is a house, the most under appreciated card in Standard.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
return is solid. I think I'd want 3 in the 75, but having some or all of them side seems like a meta call.

As for most under appreciated, my vote for that would be fleecemane. Won more games off the back of monstrous fleecemane than any other card.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I think two is the right amount. It's not something you want to see every game, especially if you're against aggro. As for whether it's sideboard or main deck, it really boils down to how much mono-black, G/R/x monsters, and control I expect to see. Which I guess is to say, a fair bit...

Xalara

Golden Squire
Here is a consideration: What about playing Slaughter Games? It can absolutely destroy control by taking away their ability to Sphinx's Revelation, against MBD you can take Pack Rat, finally against G/R monsters you can eliminate their biggest threat (Polukranos?). That said I am unsure of what I would take out in its place. The biggest candidate being Gruul Charm.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Slaughter games is a decent sideboard card.

I apparently am just doomed to never play well at SCG Opens. This is the 3rd one in a row I've scrubbed out and not even made top 16. I lost more times yesterday (4!!!) than I'd lost in the past 28 matches (3-0-1, 2-0-1, 10-1-1, 7-2) I'd played. Blah. At least I can tear apart my standard deck now, I think the next relevant Seattle tournament is late July.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I played a standard FNM this week just for shits and giggles and split top prize. Nothing competitive, but given that I haven't touched the format since Theros released I was fairly happy to earn a little store credit. I played a very janky build of Naya Hexproof, and it was sorta fun.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I scrubbed out yesterday too, I did a side event and won a box at least. That R/W burn deck that mostly ignore board state is rough.

koffin_sl

shitlord
Anyone have a recommendation for a deck to play Standard with?
I'm just now getting into Magic with a few friends that have been playing for years.
I don't care what color(s) I play, I just don't want to waste money on a pre-built deck off the shelf if it is going to be a waste of money and time.
I'm trying to put together something decently competitive for around 70 bucks, but finding anything like that has been difficult.
Any ideas?

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Also: was pretty sweet to see all card kingdom players in the top 4, especially given how many people flew or drove in to play from long distances. Only talked about where we were from a few times but I played against people from Idaho and LA who made the trip just for the tourney.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been silently grinding away. When the SCG Players Championship points update on Thursday I should be in 40 something place. It seems like a long way from getting there, but if I have a decent finish at the Invitational (or one of the Opens) at the end of the month it'll at least put me in the running to possibly grind in to a slot.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Info for those who want to make their own proxy power cube:

Dropbox of all the Cards

And if you want to print them cheaply use Artcows.comCustom Poker Decks.

Make sure to wait for free shipping deals (about once every month or so) or else you will get raped in shipping costs. Below are comparison shots of the poker cards to normal magic cards.

Magic card on top for thickness.
IMG_20121206_021116.jpg

The custom card is slightly bigger
IMG_20121206_021034.jpg

Side by Side comparison
IMG_20121206_021006.jpg
damn I remember doing this when I was like 12... holy fuck I thought I was a fucking genius going to tournaments at my local shop with half a deck of proxies.

anyway not to necro but my gfs brother is trying to get me into magic online, specifically commander anyone out there play that at all? ive never tried it at all was looking for some info on the premade decks that are out.