MTG thread

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Was helping a friend clean out the house he had been renting to some other folks for the last five years or so. They left it absolutely filthy, but we found a deck box full of Zendikar era cards in Chandra Ablaze sleeves. Basically a whole red/green block deck... and a random Jace, the Mind Sculptor flipped the other way.

Not the most exciting find ever, but it was a pleasant surprise given all the useless shit left behind.
No fetch lands? Celestial Colonnade?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Nah, was just a single red/green deck and the one lonely Jace. The only other money was two Oracle of Mul Daya, a handful of dollar rares and a couple full art lands.

It is entirely possible this deck was a remnant of when the same friend and I jumped back into MTG briefly around Zendikar/Worldwake, and it was just forgotten ever since. We found it in the basement in a box of old junk.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Oracles are 11 bucks each and constantly rising so that's not a bad find either.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The owner of the house basically borrows my stuff to play once in a blue moon but otherwise has no use for it. I'll probably buy the Jace from him at a discount to finish my playset, and let someone else have the rest.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Not much spoiled so far. They start Monday. Mostly a couple of random cards, and a new Titan cycle of Avatars that aren't nearly as good as Titans.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Vintage Masters is awesome. I can't break even playing events even with a fucking 78% win rate, but I've made over 700 tix since Friday flipping cards on my 5 accounts.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea price keeps fluxing like crazy, but seems running events is no longer efficient. But good time to speculate if you're into that.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Sorry for the intrusion, but... what the fuck is going on? You guys are opening a/b/u cards in some special event and you're allowed to keep them?

Xalara

Golden Squire
It is MTGO so the reserved list doesn't exist as the cards are digital.

Currently finishing a Bloom Titan modern deck. While waiting for the final cards I have been using proxies to practice and holy crap is the deck complicated. I am going to have to do a lot more practice so that I can be fast enough and sequence correctly before I bring it to a PTQ.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yea price keeps fluxing like crazy, but seems running events is no longer efficient. But good time to speculate if you're into that.
All the good streamers are doing pretty well, so I can't say its not efficient if your win rate is high enough. I just fucking suck at opening packs, and I'm playing the wrong events.

Have to do those 7 round sealed events if I want to play sealed, otherwise grind 8-4 and premier drafts.

Xalara

Golden Squire
WotC, especially over the last year, has ensured that running pretty much any event on MODO is not worth it. I think the only events that are worth it anymore if you want to go positive is constructed dailies. You play Vintage Masters because you like it and if you win the card lottery all the more power to you.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Me and my buddies have a casual modern tourny next weekens for a fake stanley cup and bragging rights. I want to dosomething different and fun.

Think this could go off fast enough?

Crazy ( MTG Deck)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
When I was at Ye Old Gaming Store this weekend one of the guys was talking about Vintage Rotisserie Draft. I had never heard of this but it's an 8 player draft where every single Vintage legal card is eligible to draft. The guy in seat 1 makes his pick, then when it gets to 8th seat that player gets 2 picks and it goes back until each player has drafted 45 cards. Basic lands are provided. There are a few videos of these events on YouTube

VRD #6 061414 - YouTube

Xalara

Golden Squire
The card designed by Notch seems really good for aggro strategies as a one or two of. Flooding out? No problem draw seven cards by the time your next turn rolls around (2 on end step, two on their turn, draw step, then two in main phase). Of course the downside is very real.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Well, there's no way at all to remove the enchantment. You could easily lock yourself out of the game. If it read something like "Whenever you play a land, sacrifice X", it then it would probably be too strong.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
The card designed by Notch seems really good for aggro strategies as a one or two of. Flooding out? No problem draw seven cards by the time your next turn rolls around (2 on end step, two on their turn, draw step, then two in main phase). Of course the downside is very real.
The card seems pretty interesting. More limited than constructed, but a pretty interesting card regardless.

Smart to have gaming celebrities designing cards though, free advertising AND an infusion of ideas from people who might have a different perspective than your usual wotc designer.