Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
what other extensions do you have? Seems like it is something else causing that

Here are my extensions...

1643130321407.png

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
remove all of the ad blocks other than the uBlock Origin, then relaunch the browser.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Single best ad block. Nukes ads before the requests leave your computer:

(I also run uBlock Origin and between the two the internet might as well be ad-free.)

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Single best ad block. Nukes ads before the requests leave your computer:

(I also run uBlock Origin and between the two the internet might as well be ad-free.)

Using hosts isn't the best approach to blocking ads, and I can guarantee that if you used that hosts file alone without ublock, you'd be seeing some ads.

The best way to block is using a pi hole on your network, it's very effective at sink holing ads. For a start it's centralized, you can set it up then it'll block ads on anything that connects to your network, it's updated constantly for malicious sites, bad actors and of course ads. You can pick from tons of lists, or just use one. Once it's up and running, you can set up a vpn and use it as an ad sinkhole from any device that is able to use a vpn (smartphones etc) from anywhere in the world.

Pi OS lite runs Pi hole on the cheapest 20 buck pi you can buy, it'll still handle thousands of requests, so you can connect as many clients as you can physically put in your house using any OS imaginable - it won't ever break a sweat. The only thing Pi doesn't block is YouTube ads, but Ublock origin does that if you need it.

In order to mess with the hosts file you have to disable tamper protection on newer windows versions, I'm not saying you'll ever forget to turn it back on but...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Using hosts isn't the best approach to blocking ads, and I can guarantee that if you used that hosts file alone without ublock, you'd be seeing some ads.

The best way to block is using a pi hole on your network, it's very effective at sink holing ads. For a start it's centralized, you can set it up then it'll block ads on anything that connects to your network, it's updated constantly for malicious sites, bad actors and of course ads. You can pick from tons of lists, or just use one. Once it's up and running, you can set up a vpn and use it as an ad sinkhole from any device that is able to use a vpn (smartphones etc) from anywhere in the world.

Pi OS lite runs Pi hole on the cheapest 20 buck pi you can buy, it'll still handle thousands of requests, so you can connect as many clients as you can physically put in your house using any OS imaginable - it won't ever break a sweat. The only thing Pi doesn't block is YouTube ads, but Ublock origin does that if you need it.

In order to mess with the hosts file you have to disable tamper protection on newer windows versions, I'm not saying you'll ever forget to turn it back on but...

I've been meaning to set up a PiHole for a while, especially because blocking on mobile apps is a PITA. Thanks for reminding me.

• 1Like

Goatface

don't know if right place for this, but is there a way to block youtube featured stuff?

1643752919495.png

1643753018911.png

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Not sifting through through the entire thread, but ShareX is a new favorite of mine for taking and editing screenshots quickly. It has a feature where you can take a screenshot pressing "Print Screen" or you can press "Ctrl+Print Screen" and get a semi smart auto-select features or you can click and hold to drag in this mode to get the area you want. Has a lot of smart tools for editing quickly after and saves a copy with the changes in case you fuck up.

Highly recommend.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Can anyone recommend a free Android scanning software? (as in, I want to scan documents and have it look like it's scanned and not photographed).

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Can anyone recommend a free Android scanning software? (as in, I want to scan documents and have it look like it's scanned and not photographed).

It's been a few years since I used it, but Microsoft Office Lens did a pretty good job the few times I used it.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but that's all I've got.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Two questions, since I got a new laptop:

-Any suggestions for a solid modern video-editing program that isn't super-complicated? I had Pinnacle Studio 23 on my last computer and got pretty used to that, so I was gonna get it again for the new one (don't think it lets you port it over but I need to check). However I've heard rumblings about Adobe and whatnot.

-Any suggestions for a program to record the screen for video-making purposes, like doing a reaction stream type deal? Just something basic that isn't full of spyware etc.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

-Any suggestions for a solid modern video-editing program that isn't super-complicated? I had Pinnacle Studio 23 on my last computer and got pretty used to that, so I was gonna get it again for the new one (don't think it lets you port it over but I need to check). However I've heard rumblings about Adobe and whatnot.

-Any suggestions for a program to record the screen for video-making purposes, like doing a reaction stream type deal? Just something basic that isn't full of spyware etc.
OBS is pretty simple for screen recording

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

The adobe shit is the easiest I've used. I was only doing cut/paste and music overlay and it was like 3 keys. I watched a 5 min tutorial and it told me everything I needed to know.

As for screen recording I just use shadowplay since it's baked in and easy to use.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Any recommendations on a media player? I used to use MPC-HC but looks like it's no longer being developed. Might as well update to something more recent. Also, I hate VLC Player. So not that.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Any recommendations on a media player? I used to use MPC-HC but looks like it's no longer being developed. Might as well update to something more recent. Also, I hate VLC Player. So not that.
Dang VLC is the absolute best media player. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the others out there used libvlc under the hood anyway. You can skin it if that's your issue with it - VLC media player - Skins - VideoLAN.