Must Have Software

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but anyone have a good mobile outlook/exchange app that will allow pushing alerts/emails in individual folders? I used to use one called Touchdown that was bought by symantec and then discontinued back in 2016/2017, worked fine through most of 2020. After some glitches I went to reinstall it and its no longer on the app store at all.

Outlook's own exchange app works fine and pushes alerts/notifications on things that get sent to the inbox, but I prefer to have everything sort itself into account/VP folders with inbox just being a non-inportant default. I have zero desire to change each rule to leave a copy in the inbox & create/move a secondary copy to the individual folder cause that's going to be a ridiculous amount of shit.

Tons of email apps looks like in the android market, but fuck if I want to go through testing each one to see if it has that one specific feature.

kroenen

Regimen Morum

If you’ve ever wondered where you’d end up if you were to transport directly to the other side of the Earth, Google now has a browser-based AR toy that lets you find out. It calls the site Floom, and the experience is pretty simple: you point your phone’s camera at the ground, tap the little tornado object, and it will show you a hole to the other side of the Earth. Then you can open that location in Google Earth to take a look around.
Floom

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What is the current pick for remote desktop/access now that TeamViewer are being cunts and claiming everything is commercial use?

I see Chrome Remote Desktop listed in the first post, but I want something browser agnostic that will work as easily as TV did for old people, relatives, etc. I don't need to try to explain Chrome to them. TV was great because it was always on, and they just had no fucking clue how to even turn it off if they did notice it. Also, I don't need to give even more of my info to Google. I've tried it out, and it seems to work with Vivaldi, and I'm sure I could make it work, but I just don't like it as much as I liked the ease of TeamViewer. Anyone have any suggestions?
Asked this back in 2019, was told about AnyDesk and have been loving it. Once set up, even complete morons have been able to use it flawlessly.

Now AnyDesk is starting to do the same thing, where it says you've used it for more than 25 hours and now you have to pay for a license. Shit, I have a secondary computer at home (mainly for Plex and Sonarr) that I haven't actually touched the keyboard or mouse for in like 2 years because I just always have AnyDesk open on my main. I understand that they want to get paid for their shit, I really do, but the amounts they always want are fucking ridiculous. Not to mention, everything is on a fucking yearly plan nowadays. I'd consider spending $238.80 if I could just pay it once and own the fucking software forever, because I do realize I get a lot of "convenience" use out of it. But fuck paying that every year.

AnyDesk was fucking perfect, and worked far better than TeamViewer ever did. Still not thrilled about Chrome Remote Desktop. Any new contenders rise up in the last few years that people have been using, and like?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Asked this back in 2019, was told about AnyDesk and have been loving it. Once set up, even complete morons have been able to use it flawlessly.

Now AnyDesk is starting to do the same thing, where it says you've used it for more than 25 hours and now you have to pay for a license. Shit, I have a secondary computer at home (mainly for Plex and Sonarr) that I haven't actually touched the keyboard or mouse for in like 2 years because I just always have AnyDesk open on my main. I understand that they want to get paid for their shit, I really do, but the amounts they always want are fucking ridiculous. Not to mention, everything is on a fucking yearly plan nowadays. I'd consider spending $238.80 if I could just pay it once and own the fucking software forever, because I do realize I get a lot of "convenience" use out of it. But fuck paying that every year.

AnyDesk was fucking perfect, and worked far better than TeamViewer ever did. Still not thrilled about Chrome Remote Desktop. Any new contenders rise up in the last few years that people have been using, and like?

I use parsec for remote desktop, never really use it for anything other than gaming, but I don't see why it couldn't be used to do simple remote admin. Not sure about file sharing or any admin specific tools it would have. It's been good for gaming whilst I've been alone at the office on the odd day here and there over the last 18 months. Officially supports Ubuntu and Windows as well, I'm not sure about any other distros or phone type OS as I don't use those to remote.

Might be worth a look depending on what feature set you require.

It's free.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I use parsec for remote desktop, never really use it for anything other than gaming, but I don't see why it couldn't be used to do simple remote admin. Not sure about file sharing or any admin specific tools it would have. It's been good for gaming whilst I've been alone at the office on the odd day here and there over the last 18 months. Officially supports Ubuntu and Windows as well, I'm not sure about any other distros or phone type OS as I don't use those to remote.

Might be worth a look depending on what feature set you require.

It's free.
Awesome, thanks!

I actually looked at that one, but they tricked me by not showing the free version at the top of their Pricing page. You have to scroll down to see the free version, so I just clicked away when I saw a monthly fee.

This is pretty much exactly what I need, simple remote access with stuff like ability to reboot and maintain unattended access. And, I do also use it to play games at work without having to load them on my computer here.

I found one that also works great, called RustDesk, but I'm a little concerned about the long-term viability of it. The "server" that maintains the access codes is currently run by the guy who made it, and the software to set up your own server is currently showing "A new version is coming soon!", so if he ever decides he can't/doesn't want to keep that server up, you're dead in the water. Also pretty sure that setting up your own server entails buying that software from him, but can't say for certain since it isn't currently available.

Going to test out Parsec now, but I'm pretty optimistic about it being exactly what I need. Thanks again!

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Awesome, thanks!

I actually looked at that one, but they tricked me by not showing the free version at the top of their Pricing page. You have to scroll down to see the free version, so I just clicked away when I saw a monthly fee.

This is pretty much exactly what I need, simple remote access with stuff like ability to reboot and maintain unattended access. And, I do also use it to play games at work without having to load them on my computer here.

I found one that also works great, called RustDesk, but I'm a little concerned about the long-term viability of it. The "server" that maintains the access codes is currently run by the guy who made it, and the software to set up your own server is currently showing "A new version is coming soon!", so if he ever decides he can't/doesn't want to keep that server up, you're dead in the water. Also pretty sure that setting up your own server entails buying that software from him, but can't say for certain since it isn't currently available.

Going to test out Parsec now, but I'm pretty optimistic about it being exactly what I need. Thanks again!

Good stuff, hope it works out. One thing I noticed about parsec was that it required my monitor at home to be on all the time, which was a bit of a pain for me. Ended up buying an HDMI display emulator dongle that just plugs into the gpu, since that's been plugged in the screen can switched on and off at will. The emulators can be found on Amazon for a couple bucks, if it's something you feel you should need.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Good stuff, hope it works out. One thing I noticed about parsec was that it required my monitor at home to be on all the time, which was a bit of a pain for me. Ended up buying an HDMI display emulator dongle that just plugs into the gpu, since that's been plugged in the screen can switched on and off at will. The emulators can be found on Amazon for a couple bucks, if it's something you feel you should need.
That's weird, mine isn't requiring that. I've already connected to both of my home computers from work right now, and I'm certain none of the monitors are on. Are yours connected with HDMI or with Display Port?

I've had that issue before with Display Port connections and AnyDesk, as a guy at work here had to leave his monitors on when working from home and both were DP. Along those lines, I used to have the huge pain in the ass of my main display at home (with DP as well, but secondary monitor was HDMI) resetting its resolution every time I turned it on and off because of the way Windows handles it (it considers a DP that is turned off to be a removed device, which you can confirm by leaving the sound on when you turn the monitor on and off -- you'll get the device connect and drop noise). However, a patch with Windows 10 somewhere along the line seems to have fixed that and I no longer have that issue. Maybe that is what you were experiencing? Maybe it is fixed now, since it seems to no longer consider them disconnected devices anymore.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
That's weird, mine isn't requiring that. I've already connected to both of my home computers from work right now, and I'm certain none of the monitors are on. Are yours connected with HDMI or with Display Port?

I've had that issue before with Display Port connections and AnyDesk, as a guy at work here had to leave his monitors on when working from home and both were DP. Along those lines, I used to have the huge pain in the ass of my main display at home (with DP as well, but secondary monitor was HDMI) resetting its resolution every time I turned it on and off because of the way Windows handles it (it considers a DP that is turned off to be a removed device, which you can confirm by leaving the sound on when you turn the monitor on and off -- you'll get the device connect and drop noise). However, a patch with Windows 10 somewhere along the line seems to have fixed that and I no longer have that issue. Maybe that is what you were experiencing? Maybe it is fixed now, since it seems to no longer consider them disconnected devices anymore.

I use dp to connect to my monitor - you're correct, I actually remember the problem being specific to dp connections now that you mentioned it.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to Acronis True Image? They've rebranded their software and seem to be going to a subscription model and I already hated the company before that. I need a good desktop/workstation backup solution for about 6 computers.

Argarth

On the verandah
Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to Acronis True Image? They've rebranded their software and seem to be going to a subscription model and I already hated the company before that. I need a good desktop/workstation backup solution for about 6 computers.
I use the free version of Macrium Reflect. It's our Business to protect your data
Seems the licenses for paid commercial packages are all "lifetime", so that fits the bill at least.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I have that. Works in Chrome and Brave, but not in Edge. Get a black screen during the running of the ad.
Try going into the settings and purging then updating the cache
1642890815430.png

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
what other extensions do you have? Seems like it is something else causing that