Must Have Software

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
ImgBurn burned the .avi to a disc but it was a data disc that normal dvd players can't use. Is it able to burn .avi to a format that regular dvd players can read?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I use ConvertXToDvD

Obviously it converts any video file(x) to a regular DVD format and burns it. Doesn't matter if the source is HD, standard def, or whatever, converts everything like a champ and even creates a decent little menu with chapters and everything.

It's not free, but its readily available wherever you're getting your free movie downloads from
smile.png

I use it to burn movies for my parents all the time. It'll convert a 8 gig 1080p .mkv file and burn it to a DVD in ~20 minutes.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I use ConvertXToDvD

Obviously it converts any video file(x) to a regular DVD format and burns it. Doesn't matter if the source is HD, standard def, or whatever, converts everything like a champ and even creates a decent little menu with chapters and everything.

It's not free, but its readily available wherever you're getting your free movie downloads from
smile.png

I use it to burn movies for my parents all the time. It'll convert a 8 gig 1080p .mkv file and burn it to a DVD in ~20 minutes.
Standard DVD or bluray? If the former, how's the compression?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Standard DVD, I don't have a Blu-Ray burner. The compression is actually pretty decent, I watched a couple of the movies with my parents after burning them, and they weren't bad. I expected it to look like total ass compressing an original HD movie down to standard def(especially since the HD download is already compressed to begin with), but it was definitely watchable. No noticeable blurring or artifacts or anything.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Last time I tried a program like that, the audio ended up getting horribly out of sync. I'm assuming that isn't a noticeable problem with this?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've yet to see any out of sync audio. The only audio issue I had at all was the default setting seemed to bee too quiet, but it has a setting in the software for boosting the audio volume, I crank it up about 50-60% extra and it seems to be fine. Then again, I'm also making these for my parents who have no surround sound, just the TV speakers, and most of the source videos are at least 5.1 surround, so that might have something to do with the volume issues. Could be totally fine on surround sound systems without the audio boost.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Why is it that there's not a single decent Twitter client for Windows? I want a desktop client that shows previews inline and syncs with Tweetmarker. I can't find one with both of those features included.

There's many awesome Twitter clients for the Mac, but Windows gets the short stick on this one.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So I want to finally get my music properly organized with all the metadata album covers and such, so I'd love some suggestions. Especially if I have some control over the process and can veto changes I don't like instead of hitting a button and hoping it does a good job.

It's not a huge collection, somewhere around 6000 tracks, I just don't want to organize it by hand. I used to use an ipod, so i did use itunes for a while, but I want to stay as far away from that as possible.

Marmac

Molten Core Raider
Anyone know where I can get a legit and fairly easy to crack Adobe Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium?

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I'm looking for a replacement for Requiem (the author abandoned the project and it doesn't work with anything over iTunes 10.5 now) - software used to strip the Fairplay DRM off of iTunes movies, etc ... for example, I have Game of Thrones seasons 1-3 in iTunes from the digital download codes that come with buying the blu-rays, but I'd like to strip out the DRM so I can put them on my Plex Server instead.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Isn't it like a thousand times easier to just torrent the blueray rips ? It's not like you didn't pay for them.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I could, or I could just rip the blu-rays myself, but my fianc?e has some shows/movies on her iTunes she'd like me to rip as well ... Just figured I'd see if anyone knew what the ripping groups used these days for their iTunes rips.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I want to finally get my music properly organized with all the metadata album covers and such, so I'd love some suggestions. Especially if I have some control over the process and can veto changes I don't like instead of hitting a button and hoping it does a good job.

It's not a huge collection, somewhere around 6000 tracks, I just don't want to organize it by hand. I used to use an ipod, so i did use itunes for a while, but I want to stay as far away from that as possible.
Looked for something like this recently, but gave up, as all of it still required a lot of tedious work to figure out the meta data. It could just be my library, but it sucked.

There are some batch programs out there, but I haven't used any of them personally.