Must Have Software

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I guess I don't subscribe to people who make shorts. I'll try the extension.
even if you do that, eventually someone will do a short, b/c it's super easy views cuz shorts get the most promotion cuz yt is trying to takeaway tiktokers, so you might as well do the extension, it even does away w/ the naggy youtube stuff like block "recommended youtube movies" who the fuck pays $10 to watch a movie on yt?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Back when I last dabbled in torrents, uTorrent was the shit. What program do all the cool kids use these days for downloading perfectly legal non-copyright files?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Back when I last dabbled in torrents, uTorrent was the shit. What program do all the cool kids use these days for downloading perfectly legal non-copyright files?
Private torrent sites are the only way to fly these days. Usually invite only.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Hdbits has some good hd stuff. They even do internal scene releases. Been a member for over 15 years

• 1GreNeg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Since you're asking for a program name and not sites, qbittorent or deluge are sort of the most popular that I'm aware of. I messed with q a bit ago and it was fine, but I have a seedbox with rtorrent so I don't really use them manually anymore. From what I've seen, rtorrent/rutorrent are not worth the trouble on Windows. If you're using Linux they are probably the best, but I don't really know shit about linux. If you're using Mac, God help you.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
everyone giving the dude sites, when he wants a prog,

qbittorent is the new hotness

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Cider - a frontend for Apple Music and what iTunes really should be in #currentyear. They're also working on making it multiplatform, though be aware (a) it's still alpha/beta and (b) they do support the Contributor Covenant if you care about politics.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
everyone giving the dude sites, when he wants a prog,

qbittorent is the new hotness

I use qbittorrent. I wish there was a torrent app that allowed you to watch videos you were currently downloading that actually worked. Not sure if it requires a certain codec or what but everyone I've tried has never worked.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I use qbittorrent. I wish there was a torrent app that allowed you to watch videos you were currently downloading that actually worked. Not sure if it requires a certain codec or what but everyone I've tried has never worked.
you can try forcing downloading in sequential order to have a "streaming" like experience, never tried it

Goatface

if on windows v4.5.0 and v4.5.1 need to upgrade

v4.5.2 contains a security bugfix in the web server. The bug allowed for any file on the user's filesystem to be served without any authentication. This affects users that have enabled the WebUI/WebAPI. It seems to affect only v4.5.0 and v4.5.1.

Argarth

On the verandah
^^ Standard Opera user for many years. Tried Opera GX, but don't need the extra gaming/throttling features and the colour schemes are a bit garish for my tastes.
IMO the Speed Dial, Bookmarks & History management features in Opera are light years ahead of any other browser. Multiple workspaces and Side-bar integration are icing on the cake.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone actually used any of these and have any opinions?

I have been using Vivaldi for several years, and like it quite a bit. To be sure though, it was shown to be not quite as secure as it was initially touted to be (and sorta woke if I remember correctly, but I'm hazy on the details), and they don't really mention its security level in that video, but it is still better than just straight Chrome. And if you tweak a bunch of options and install some add-ons I'm sure you can get it even more secure. I currently am at about a medium privacy level I'd say, as it honestly is a pain in the ass to be at maximum security all the time. I did the whole Firefox configured to shut down everything, NoScript maxed out, etc. which is supposed to be one of the most secure ways to browse, but most sites were just plain unusable. What's the point of having maximum security if I need to relax that security on multiple individual sites every day just to see the shit I need to see?

So yeah, I use Vivaldi and I think it is great, feature-wise and "better than the big 3 browsers for security."

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I have been using Vivaldi for several years, and like it quite a bit. To be sure though, it was shown to be not quite as secure as it was initially touted to be (and sorta woke if I remember correctly, but I'm hazy on the details), and they don't really mention its security level in that video, but it is still better than just straight Chrome. And if you tweak a bunch of options and install some add-ons I'm sure you can get it even more secure. I currently am at about a medium privacy level I'd say, as it honestly is a pain in the ass to be at maximum security all the time. I did the whole Firefox configured to shut down everything, NoScript maxed out, etc. which is supposed to be one of the most secure ways to browse, but most sites were just plain unusable. What's the point of having maximum security if I need to relax that security on multiple individual sites every day just to see the shit I need to see?

So yeah, I use Vivaldi and I think it is great, feature-wise and "better than the big 3 browsers for security."

Vivaldi is amazing, reminds me of the potential browsers we had in the early 2000s before Chrome crushed everything.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So my current job wants me to do some new tasks that involve working a bit deeper in Excel than I am used to. By that I mean doing things such as gathering data from other Excel files, importing automatically to the correct cells, shit like that. As someone who only has a very basic understanding of Excel I'm up for learning more about it, going through an online course. Does anyone know of or can recommend a decent (preferably free or cheap) online Excel course that teaches you basic to mid level stuff. I don't think I need the very advanced shit that can compute theoretical astrophysics lol.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
So my current job wants me to do some new tasks that involve working a bit deeper in Excel than I am used to. By that I mean doing things such as gathering data from other Excel files, importing automatically to the correct cells, shit like that. As someone who only has a very basic understanding of Excel I'm up for learning more about it, going through an online course. Does anyone know of or can recommend a decent (preferably free or cheap) online Excel course that teaches you basic to mid level stuff. I don't think I need the very advanced shit that can compute theoretical astrophysics lol.

-or-

• 1Like