My Spider Bro

Oldbased

> Than U
I didn't know that widows and wasps prey on each other.

This fact makes me much more tolerant of mud dobbers. I don't usually knock down mud dobber nests/hives/whatever they're called as long as they build out of my way and I've always just assumed that if you kill the mud dobbers then the actual hornets might move in.

But if they're out there fighting a holy crusade against black widows they have my gratitude.
Black Widow Spider Traps Queen Wasp - YouTube

Also Mud Daubers have brought down 2 airliners that killed like 350 people total or something.

Oldbased

> Than U
Here in California everyone swears that any remotely brown spider is the infamous brown recluse. It's pretty silly, especially considering that they're basically an urban myth in my region. It's usually just a typical house spider. I live and let live anything except black widows, and I shake my head when people kill daddy long legs.
Very common here in KY, in fact I got a bite below my knee healing right now from a recluse.
Thankfully not every bite results in arms and legs falling off almost as seen in every online image. They do hurt like hell and often leave a hollow core into the skin though and take a while to heal. Where as a Widow bite heals pretty quick but for me at least makes me feel like shit a few days. Between carpentry and my landscaping habits I see both nearly every day. Widows will usually try to get away from you, Recluses will come at you like a pissed off Mexican.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've known multiple people who had to deal with recluse bites in Maryland. Lucky I never have, there's tons of spiders in my wooded area. I understand the recluse part describe how they build their webs in hidden places, sheds and woodpiles are supposed to be two of the most common ways to get bit. So not really in danger so much in your house or walking into the random outdoor web. I do hate those outdoor webs, fuckers string shit far and wide between trees and your car and shit.

I've been in my current residence for 12+ years. Back when I first moved in there was a cockroach problem, at times it was so bad that I worked out a 'best option' plan. At night, I would turn off the light in the kitchen / loungeroom and then complete my bathroom routine, brush teeth, last whizz etc. Which gave the cockroachs in the kitchen enough time with no lights on to go about their business. So with the lights all off, I would then walk out, grab and shake up the bug spray can and then turn on the lights and kill all I could see.

Then after a few years we got an 'invasive pest' species, Singapore Geckos. These medium sized geckos that make a distinctiveclick click clicksound. In just a few months I was clear of cockroaches. So a big thumbs up to the Singapore Gecko.
But now your house is infested with Geckos?

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
But now your house is infested with Geckos?
Actually in truth it's quite interesting as the gecko numbers did a sharp rise. But then their numbers have dropped off as the cockroach numbers fell. Available food -> predator numbers.

So now I've got low numbers of cockroachs ( I go weeks without seeing one ) and only occasionally hear theclick click clickof a gecko.

- - -

Re: discussion on wasps & hornets:

Bulldog ants = an ant that is an evolutionary offshot of a wasp that grabs your skin with their mandibles and stings you with the tail. They live in the under growth so if you're clearing fallen branches and logs, they might be there and not as easy to see as a hornet or wasp. I've been got a few times, never saw the fucker until you get that double hit of bite then sting.

Advice: Wear gloves.

rrr_img_72101.gif
rrr_img_72102.jpg
rrr_img_72103.jpg

that's a shot of it next to a ruler for size, they grow to over an inch long. Yeah!!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Found a spider bro outside that I noped the shit out of. That's a swarm of baby spiders on it. Thing's like a Protoss battleship.

rrr_img_72124.jpg

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Very common here in KY, in fact I got a bite below my knee healing right now from a recluse.
Thankfully not every bite results in arms and legs falling off almost as seen in every online image. They do hurt like hell and often leave a hollow core into the skin though and take a while to heal. Where as a Widow bite heals pretty quick but for me at least makes me feel like shit a few days. Between carpentry and my landscaping habits I see both nearly every day. Widows will usually try to get away from you, Recluses will come at you like a pissed off Mexican.
That's actually backwards. Brown Recluses are known to be deathly afraid of humans, they avoid them at all costs, where as black widows are territorial and will attack.

Oldbased

> Than U
No. I see the damn things almost everyday and if you want some real fun, pull off some vinyl/metal siding off a house. You will find hundreds of Black Widows around here on one house. Or pull up some deck boards. They have always run from me.
Recluses however especially inside a house are VERY aggressive and have them actually chase me. They do not like being in places they are disturbed, like closets, under beds, behind commodes and deep in vanities, under dressers and whatnot so to the average person, sure they will not likely cross your path. To someone like me who is removing stuff from closets, moving furniture all day, pulling commodes and vanities where they are and I piss them off for disturbing them, I disagree.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
No I'm saying that's against their nature. Meaning it's opposite of their biology and how they normally act. Not saying that isn't what happens to you.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I live in Pennsylvania. There is pretty much nothing poisonous around here, except for Copperheads (snake) and various plants. Ivy, Oak, Sumac... that type of shit. I'm glad we don't have a spider problem in my area.

Oldbased

> Than U
No I'm saying that's against their nature. Meaning it's opposite of their biology and how they normally act. Not saying that isn't what happens to you.
Oh I agree with you, I just disagree too. For most people that is exactly what would happen a recluse wants to be in a dark safe spot, a widow wants to hunt.
I just force a different circumstance where I invade the places they feel safe which makes them react differently than the norm.